Blue Devils in the Details 2023

44 minutes ago, mboogey73 said:

Agreed. I think BD throws some cold water on the haters by putting .75 or higher on Crown tonight. 

And I hope it’s due to BD drums throwing down a tightly crafted show.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Boy, people in the show thread seem pretty riled up that BD fans aren’t concerned by the supposed “close” gap. A lot of complaining about BD fans but very little to no comments by BD fans in there. Interesting. 

Methinks the gap will be closer to 1 point than 0.5 in Indy 

It’s so annoying. I think they think any of us who acknowledge that BD is the best corps are considered fans. I am not. I am a classical music buff. I marched Madison and I don’t even listen to old Madison shows anymore. All I listen to is classical. I like Boston, Crown and Bluecoats shows better than BDs. I don’t want BD to win. I want them to finish 4th (sorry I do, only because they have been at the top for so long), but if I am going to talk about who is going to win, I can move past my bias and make an educated analysis and decision. They freaking swept all captions against Bluecoats on Friday. Bluecoats, who IMO are likely going to be the No. 2 corps in Indy. The are the best corps. 0.5 or not this isn’t close at all. 

If Crown and Boston had been there Friday night, that gap would have been bigger, because many of Bluecoats 2s in the ordinals would have dropped to 3s and 4s.

It’s just baffling that people either can’t get past their bias (been there, done that), just aren’t paying attention, or lack any real understanding of how how this activity is scored and why BD always wins.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Boy, people in the show thread seem pretty riled up that BD fans aren’t concerned by the supposed “close” gap. A lot of complaining about BD fans but very little to no comments by BD fans in there. Interesting. 

Methinks the gap will be closer to 1 point than 0.5 in Indy 

There was a moment earlier in the season, when BD’s edge was getting closer to to 2 points, that I was ready to drop my disbelief that a 2 point win at Finals could happen this season. My original thinking that this was very improbable, because the other top corps were just too good, with so much talent, great staffs, and great shows, now seems correct, and we are in what always seemed the most likely scenario.

For next week, anything could happen. That is good for the corps and good for the activity. There’s a chance the spreads got a bit rapidly and artificially compressed because of Allentown’s structure, but the smart money is that BAC, Crown, and Bloo are executing well on their plans to layer, clean, and peak at finals. BD knows how to operate well in this environment too, so I still see them as the favorite. For that reason, I can see how @Cappybara’s prediction could come to pass.

Honestly, there is a part of me that likes going to Indianapolis with placements generally settled by existing spreads - then I can just focus on enjoying the shows with all their excitement and nuance and turn off the part of my brain that wants to evaluate how well a corps did relative to others - which I am not qualified to do anyway.

But I wouldn’t trade this season and this Finals week for anything. I am so looking forward to seeing these shows live and being blown away by so many corps. I don’t expect to have a voice left when I leave Indy. As a BD homer I have belief they will rise to the occasion and win in a battle. Their commitment to sane excellence while pursuing their distinct artistic vision is why I fell in love with them - well, that and jazz.

If another corps wins, they will have earned it, and I will cheer their score as rightful champions and their victory run as the capstone to an amazing season.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, mboogey73 said:

Agreed. I think BD throws some cold water on the haters by putting .75 or higher on Crown tonight. 

I would honestly be surprised if Crown is within 1 pt of BD. I'm hoping they are obviously and think Crown is definitely good enough to hang with BD (as are Boston and Bluecoats) but until BD is beaten, they will stay favorites.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

It's really just one person for the most part who wants us to eat crow, which is fine and all. Just wonder if he has any left over crow in his fridge from the multiple times he has been wrong, thinking we haven't noticed and haven't been collecting receipts. 

Now he wants to flap his wings (literally) and gloat the one time he might be right. 

It’s funny because all the main BD culprits have been saying nice things about other corps all season… So who are these people even fighting with. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

It’s funny because all the main BD culprits have been saying nice things about other corps all season… So who are these people even fighting with. 

Honestly I don't know. I've been a bit of a Crown stan this season and it took me a while to warm up to the Bluecoats, but I'm finally on board with their show. The only show of the top 4 I haven't been able to get behind is Boston's, and I have purposefully not made a single comment on the Boston 2023 thread this season out of respect to them and their corps. Very funny indeed 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Honestly I don't know. I've been a bit of a Crown stan this season and it took me a while to warm up to the Bluecoats, but I'm finally on board with their show. The only show of the top 4 I haven't been able to get behind is Boston's, and I have purposefully not made a single comment on the Boston 2023 thread this season out of respect to them and their corps. Very funny indeed 

For me, Boston and Crown have my favorite shows of all time from those two corps. While Bluecoats 2023 show is not my favorite Bloo show of all time (Connexus 2006) Garden of Love is one of the top three shows I can't wait to seeing live in Indy. 

So no hate has came from me towards any other corps, and never has. 

• Like 4

So were we all imagining things seeing those lines in the blue props? Didn't we think that there was gonna be some sort of door or 'cutout' in those? Did I miss the memo that these weren't doors and were just in fact lines/bumps on the surface of the props? Or am I making all this up in my head?

If I'm NOT going crazy, when do we think these will be used, if at all? 

Edited by lllusl0n29
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, lllusl0n29 said:

So were we all imagining things seeing those lines in the blue props? Didn't we think that there was gonna be some sort of door or 'cutout' in those? Did I miss the memo that these weren't doors and were just in fact lines? Or am I making all this up in my head?

If I'm NOT going crazy, when do we think these will be used, if at all? 

The cut outs are there. I’m starting to think that either it is an abandoned idea or we’re in for a surprise. 

• Like 3