Blue Devils in the Details 2023

1 minute ago, lawdn said:

Meanwhile Crown tops BD in brass and perc and BD takes MA. 

🤷🏽‍♂️ I will always maintain full trust in the judges and their decisions, whether it benefits BD or not, but I definitely am curious about a couple captions 

• Like 4

While tonight may not prove that BD are beatable, they sure as heck are close to.

45 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

🤷🏽‍♂️ I will always maintain full trust in the judges and their decisions, whether it benefits BD or not, but I definitely am curious about a couple captions 

Good mindset to have. And yeah, I was quite surprised BD ended up slipping in percussion, it could all change later this week. Bloo taking percussion last year was not on many people’s bingo card, BD has been able to snag the top score in captions on finals night other corps won overall quite often. Even if I’m not a BD fan, these possibilities are always there. On the flip side, I like the tightness that we’re seeing not just with *X* corps and BD, but among the top 4 as a whole. Caption swaps are gonna be happening THROUGHOUT the weekend, and I think that’s pretty exciting to see. Maybe the most solidified caption out of any might be Cavies percussion at this point!! Quite the crazy season it’s been👀

• Like 5

Percussion caption has been the most volatile this year. Crown was running 4th or 5th routinely, now they're near the top. 

I pointed out a while ago the issue BD was having with their achievement versus content scores and whether or not it was time to break out the hose.  We're going to find out. 

Edited by mboogey73
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Not trusting that the judges have made their honest best call is the path to madness. I have seen people still rehashing the results from years ago on DCP. The judges have done the work (years of it), are honed in on their sheet, and ideally placed for the best read, and they are the ones with the guts to put their numbers up for everyone to criticize, so they are almost certainly going to do their best.  Furthermore, judges deciding the scores IS the DCI system for DCI shows - those are numbers that go in the official records. As a fan, I just want to do my best to understand those numbers, and we can't really know as we don't have access to the tapes. But there are worse problems to have, right?

• Like 3

I’m redacting this until I can actually find the show…don’t want to spread misinformation!

Edited by jaylogan
Redacted for validation
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, jaylogan said:

I remember DCI putting in a brass judge the year that The Cavaliers music team went to SCV. This guy put their brass score dead last (I think it was prelims or semis) and it was quite out of line. That score was more appropriate the next night. That’s the most egregious instance of unusual judge scores.

I think we are in agreement.  There will be outliers, some because a qualified judge honestly has a different view than their peers (which doesn’t make it wrong), maybe some be ause a newer judge made an honest mistake, and maybe some out of malice (and let us hope those get chastised or booted out if they can’t justify their numbers by the sheet). I just don’t think there can be a perfect human judging system, but for a niche activity, DCI’s system seems to get pretty good results overall.

7 minutes ago, lawdn said:

I think we are in agreement.  There will be outliers, some because a qualified judge honestly has a different view than their peers (which doesn’t make it wrong), maybe some be ause a newer judge made an honest mistake, and maybe some out of malice (and let us hope those get chastised or booted out if they can’t justify their numbers by the sheet). I just don’t think there can be a perfect human judging system, but for a niche activity, DCI’s system seems to get pretty good results overall.

I agree with you, and I can’t seem to find the performance with the weird score, so I’m going to take it back for now, just in case I’m unintentionally spreading misinformation.

• Like 1

Just saw a recipe for the Pittsburgh show and they did some rearranging for a few parts and added a few more things here and there. The additions of the power ballad-style drumset to the ballad and the rallentandos, in particular, are a nice touch. Gosh, I really love this show. And especially this ballad.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Rylan said:

Just saw a recipe for the Pittsburgh show and they did some rearranging for a few parts and added a few more things here and there. The additions of the power ballad-style drumset to the ballad and the rallentandos, in particular, are a nice touch. Gosh, I really love this show. And especially this ballad.

I just came here to say literally that! The additional power ballad-y drum set might wind up being really nice  — it makes something click in the second verse of BSN’s chorus that wasn’t clicking for me before. I wanna hear it in a better recording to really decide.

Not a bad performance at all. Didn’t quite connect as well as I know they can, guard dropped a few, battery fuzzed a few, screamer didn’t nail it, but aside from obvious errors you can absolutely see how the baseline level of performance gets better and better. Now they just gotta eliminate the silly mistakes, which, it’s funny, I feel like BD lets persist longer than other corps would. This is the week when that will all disappear. 

Edited by saxfreq1128
  • Like 3