Blue Devils in the Details 2023

2 hours ago, Wynalazca said:

Haha! I couldn't resist. Salty dolphins fans are everywhere.

On topic, there are definitely a few years BD didn't win that I thought they should've and some years they did when I thought they shouldn't.

I’m not terribly salty about the Patriots.  We beat them on the regular, even when they were cheating!

12 hours ago, ContraFart said:

Yet without a signature, I know you are a BD alum. Again I say the ONLY people who push back at me on this issue are BD alum 

FYI- I am NOT a BD alum.  Never marched.  Have family who work with another corps.  

14 hours ago, jaylogan said:

This part made me laugh out loud. I may need to try some of this shimmying to see where it gets me!

My work here is done!

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, theonlyfizzle said:

Question: Who are we most looking forward to besides Blue Devils MIGHT three peat and why ?

For me, many of them, if not all, but if i have to single out a few i'd say

Mandarins. Because the theme is interesting, and i'd like to see where they go with it. But i am excited to see if they get to move up from 10th, because i thinks it time they move up.

SOA. Redemption sounds sweeter for this corps who have a great repertoire, and i have heard three clips of their show and i love them. Can they make it back into finals this year ? Maybe ? idk. Will be up against Blue knights, Madison, Crossmen, P.Crest. Lets see and welcome back!

Cadets. Without seeing the show yet, just off the repertoire and just my feelings.. I believe they might just have a top 3 show this year. We might get competitive show from them. Can they do it ?

Cavaliers. I am hearing great things from out of this preseason and spring training. Sounds like another top three show if the show really live up to the hype floating around. Many top three shows can exist all at once without actually making the top three... But as i'm basing this off design and not the performance. A top three show can exist with the design but it is up to the performance to take it up there..🤷‍♂️

Boston Crusaders. They really did smell blood last year. No pun intended but they are hungry sharks this year, and might be swimming their way to get that blood. Is this the year they pull out all the bells and whistle to topple The Blue Devils.

Bluecoats. Yes they excites me.. I like how campy and fun they can get with the designs and the uniforms. Risk taking and consistently producing top 3 shows. I enjoy their offerings musically and visually and i feel like a kid watching them. This year is no different and my expectation of them is wild guessing, they usually have me scratching my head at first but still turn out to be so much joy and fun lol.

(Edited)Oh i forgot one... Phantom Regiment. I want to see where they go from last year, how will they build of that. with that new look and modernized music, what will the design look like for them and their identity. Those uniform designs i've seen so far are the best i have seen so far. imho

However i am excited in general for all corps, behind each there's a story and that story alone will infused the corps to keep telling it through this season and beyond. What a great year this might turn out to be after all that is said and done.

BAC for all the obvious reasons. Bloo even though they’re being mean and won’t even leak a crumb for me to salivate over. 

Phantom and Cadets because they both owned last year and brought back old school vibes and I’m desperate to see them keep killing it.

Crown because that show is clearly a contender, just awesome, and they sound especially fantastic.

Blue Stars and Troopers thanks to falling in love with them last year and wanting to see them build on it.

Cavies because, though I understand the criticism of their show last year, I adored it and want to see them combine that endearing fun with the Cavies we saw and loved in 2019.  

• Like 3

16 hours ago, ContraFart said:

I dont know, did Eddie Van Halen try and do a treatise on the color blue? Did Neal Peart give lectures on dadaism? They were the best, they didn't need to act like it. 

Well, first off, Neil Peart literally wrote Ayn Rand references into his songs for Rush (like the song “Anthem,” titled after a Rand novel). So the idea that these rock stars didn’t care or make art about high-minded things doesn’t really pan out… Even if they only did it because of LSD, they definitely did it! lol

I think there’s a pretty unfortunate contradiction in what you’re saying. You keep saying BD only cares about winning. Then you criticize what their shows are about. But recent BD alums, literal teenagers, have walked away with a head full of knowledge about Shakespeare, the history of colors, Stravinsky, Fellini, Edward Hopper … Almost as if fostering a love for the arts, rather than just winning, is the mission here. And this is what we’re complaining about? 

Drum corps shows have been about everything from Tesla coils, to the history of Chicago, to the music of Shostakovich, to Hunter S. Thompson, to the oil boom, to “War and Peace.” So why BD making shows about an arts movement or the most prominent color in the world is so singularly offensive, is a little beyond me, honestly. And we clearly define “lecture” and “treatise” very differently. 

Edited by saxfreq1128
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 5

5 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

49ers all day!! 

In Brock Purdy we trust!

Ugh!  Cowboys fan here lol

man can’t find something we both agree on    ok….

Do you like coke or Pepsi ?   😃

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, saxfreq1128 said:

BAC for all the obvious reasons. Bloo even though they’re being mean and won’t even leak a crumb for me to salivate over. 

Phantom and Cadets because they both owned last year and brought back old school vibes and I’m desperate to see them keep killing it.

Crown because that show is clearly a contender, just awesome, and they sound especially fantastic.

Blue Stars and Troopers thanks to falling in love with them last year and wanting to see them build on it.

Cavies because, though I understand the criticism of their show last year, I adored it and want to see them combine that endearing fun with the Cavies we saw and loved in 2019.  

Just to share about Bloooo.

Their member's PARENTS don't even know what their show is. Well, the member's parents that I talk to. ....and they're cool drumcorps marching parents who marched with some of the staff.

Blooo ain't playin' this year. I say WATCH OUT! The silent ones are DANGEROUS!

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Wynalazca said:

Haha! I couldn't resist. Salty dolphins fans are everywhere.

On topic, there are definitely a few years BD didn't win that I thought they should've and some years they did when I thought they shouldn't.

To be a Dolphins fan is to be salty. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

Well, first off, Neil Peart literally wrote Ayn Rand references into his songs for Rush (like the song “Anthem,” titled after a Rand novel). So the idea that these rock stars didn’t care or make art about high-minded things doesn’t really pan out… Even if they only did it because of LSD, they definitely did it! lol

I think there’s a pretty unfortunate contradiction in what you’re saying. You keep saying BD only cares about winning. Then you criticize what their shows are about. But recent BD alums, literal teenagers, have walked away with a head full of knowledge about Shakespeare, the history of colors, Stravinsky, Fellini, Edward Hopper … Almost as if fostering a love for the arts, rather than just winning, is the mission here. And this is what we’re complaining about? 

Drum corps shows have been about everything from Tesla coils, to the history of Chicago, to the music of Shostakovich, to Hunter S. Thompson, to the oil boom, to “War and Peace.” So why BD making shows about an arts movement or the most prominent color in the world is so singularly offensive, is a little beyond me, honestly. And we clearly define “lecture” and “treatise” very differently. 

You actually make a very good point, I will take the L on that one. That knowledge is never a bad thing. Maybe its not what they subject matter is, but how it is presented. I have come to the conclusion that I do not believe I will ever like a BD show as long as Scott Chandler is designing. I just dont like the fact that judges seem to like those design tropes which cause other corps to follow suit. 

Edited by ContraFart
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, Triple Forte said:

Ugh!  Cowboys fan here lol

man can’t find something we both agree on    ok….

Do you like coke or Pepsi ?   😃

LOL!!! Pepsi for me!!