Madison Scouts 2023

On 6/15/2023 at 4:58 PM, jjeffeory said:

I know many who march for several years in World, currently at two top two corps from last year, so there a lot of people still marching multiple years too.

That's right. They go there, in part, because they want to win and achieve excellence. Who doesn't? I've never known one athlete or one marching member who hasn't/doesn't dream of winning. Whether winning is making finals, or top 5, or top 3, or NUMBER 1. Drum corps is a competitive sport. It doesn't feel good to lose to anyone. No one goes to a corps like Madison thinking, "God, I hope we place 15th. That'd be so great." 

People may march one or two years at Madison, but that's because they are using Madison as a stepping stone to get into better corps. Madison is a feeder corps now, like it or not.

This is why the people who have failed this organization remain a part of it - complacency, denial and excuses. I just wonder how bad it's going to have to get before people wake up.

Edited by DudleytheWest
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, DudleytheWest said:

That's right. They go there, in part, because they want to win and achieve excellence. Who doesn't? I've never known one athlete or one marching member who hasn't/doesn't dream of winning. Whether winning is making finals, or top 5, or top 3, or NUMBER 1. Drum corps is a competitive sport. It doesn't feel good to lose to anyone. No one goes to a corps like Madison thinking, "God, I hope we place 15th. That'd be so great." 

People may march one or two years at Madison, but that's because they are using Madison as a stepping stone to get into better corps. Madison is a feeder corps now, like it or not.

This is why the people who have failed this organization remain a part of it - complacency, denial and excuses. I just wonder how bad it's going to have to get before people wake up.

Not necessarily. I’ve had several go there for the programming and the staff. The retention rate is fairly good to be honest. See again, excellence is found all across the activity, not just at the top 3. But again, go ask the students. 

19 hours ago, DudleytheWest said:

Idk I know many 3-4 year Madison vets over the last couple of seasons. They go because of the history and stayed for the environment. Not everyone is in the activity for the same reasons. My first year I only auditioned because my GF at the time was and I wanted to be with her all summer(spoiler alert she got cut and I got a contract so I broke up with her😅). My ageout year I just wanted to march after 5 years off and auditioned at 3 different places just to get a spot and be out there one last time. But yes there are ring chasers in the activity as well but not everyone is. Oh, I know some people that moved from crown to Bluecoats to BD just to get different education approaches. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Idk I know many 3-4 year Madison vets over the last couple of seasons. They go because of the history and stayed for the environment. Not everyone is in the activity for the same reasons. My first year I only auditioned because my GF at the time was and I wanted to be with her all summer(spoiler alert she got cut and I got a contract so I broke up with her😅). My ageout year I just wanted to march after 5 years off and auditioned at 3 different places just to get a spot and be out there one last time. But yes there are ring chasers in the activity as well but not everyone is. Oh, I know some people that moved from crown to Bluecoats to BD just to get different education approaches. 

Thank you for sharing your experience. Wow you marched and took 5 years off then went back? That's wild. I couldn't imagine going back after I aged out. The next summer was so relaxing I thought I was crazy to ever do it. But, I am grateful for the experiences I had.

Edited by DudleytheWest

So this is cool:  https://www.forwardperformingarts.org/news/nine-new-inductees-named-to-the-madison-scouts-hall-of-fame-class-of-2023?fbclid=IwAR3PsNXkRV_UUYMXrkFf-6b85Tq31EhRACVfSf6iw7cuVLUvy1nCaVGBXx4

The Scouts HOF was established last year, so this is only the second class of inductees.

Not sure why Scott Boerma isn't already in the DCI HOF.  Would expect that's coming soon.

On 8/27/2022 at 12:44 PM, IllianaLancerContra said:

I do wonder if it may be best for them to retire the name Madison Scouts.  The Madison Scouts powerhouse Corps of the 1970s & 80s can live on in Drum Corps Valhalla, along with Anaheim, 27, Bayonne, and far too many others.

Keep the Corps going, continue providing a high-quality  DCI experience to current and future members.  But find a new name for the Corps.

I could not agree more about the name change.  The Madison Scouts legend should live in the hearts and memory of the thousands of fans that followed them and loved them.  In using their name only as a gold card pass to greatness is not working, and has damaged the name and credibility the organization built over so many decades.  It looks, acts, and sounds like an imitation.  This will never pass for the real thing again.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2022 at 7:28 PM, IllianaLancerContra said:

Being Madison for the sake of being Madison indeed doesn’t work unless done well.   But if 2022 is what the future is going to look like for them, then perhaps they should find a name other than Madison Scouts.  I am not suggesting that they need to play Malagueña every year, but would it kill them to have some red & green on the uniforms?   

If they are going to be the Madison Scouts, then include some of the Madison Scout traditions; modernized if necessary.  But include them.   Otherwise, give the Madison Scouts name to history, and call it something else.  

To your point about being the Madison Scouts, it is obvious by now this assembly of aspiring musicians are plainly not the real thing.  Once the infrastructure crashed in 2019, the DNA of the organization unbounded. The years to follow have brought disappointment, and shame to the brand itself.  Greatness can’t be faked, and the fans are not fooled.  It’s time to retire the name respectfully to the halls of drum Corp history.

As someone who has a kid in Madison Scouts, I try to stay away from this thread, but saying that "this assembly of aspiring musicians are plainly not the real thing" is highly offensive to me and to my kid. I'm not even sorry that you feel that way. "All good things must come to an end." It can be rebuilt and I believe that it is being rebuilt. Just because you have issues with the corps doesn't mean that you can spout dumb things like this. I also know people who have no skin in the game and find it offensive.

• Like 9

9 hours ago, Grandpa Joe said:

As someone who has a kid in Madison Scouts, I try to stay away from this thread, but saying that "this assembly of aspiring musicians are plainly not the real thing" is highly offensive to me and to my kid. I'm not even sorry that you feel that way. "All good things must come to an end." It can be rebuilt and I believe that it is being rebuilt. Just because you have issues with the corps doesn't mean that you can spout dumb things like this. I also know people who have no skin in the game and find it offensive.

Completely understand.  

What I hope they can find is modern Drum Corps with some of the old Madison Scouts swagger.  I would hope that these are not mutually exclusive.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Completely understand.  

What I hope they can find is modern Drum Corps with some of the old Madison Scouts swagger.  I would hope that these are not mutually exclusive.  

Given time they will, I'm sure. You just can't expect it to happen overnight.