Madison Scouts 2023

While most people here seem to be focusing on the negativity surrounding management (warrented i'll admit), i will say that on the field, they are putting on a very interesting show this year.

I have been critical, the past couple of years, about the lack of difficulty when compared to top 12 corps. But this year, i see an improvement on that side that i like. It's only the beginning of the competitive season and there is a lot of dirt in the rendition of the show right now, but the growing potential is there ..... at last !!

I don't know that, by semies, they are going to be fighting for a top 12 spot, but i think that they are closer to it this year than they have been in a long while 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, C.Holland said:

This isn’t untrue.  It boils down to “is the headache from the old balls worth it?” 

So it’s the alumni fault that the Scouts aren’t competitive. Deflect. Blame others. Don’t take responsibility. And round and round we go….

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

So it’s the alumni fault that the Scouts aren’t competitive. Deflect. Blame others. Don’t take responsibility. And round and round we go….

Not all, but alumni have had a direct effect of top designers not wanting to work there. They'll have to take a chance on younger talent, which isn't a bad thing, or shell out $$$ to make it hard decision.

• Like 1

Yup. Been this way for much of this failed regime. 

• Like 1

I mean didn't their Facebook groups get shut down for how toxic it got? If the alumni only want people they like and threaten to withhold funding then they have to do what's best financially. And if they want the corps to still be like the 90s in 2023 it won't be competitive. So it's like shooting yourself in the foot. 

After yesterday they NEED a new drill writer. Boerma can write for 2023 style but the drill just seems high school marching band level and not like high BOA. Is that because of talent or design? Idk. 

55 minutes ago, TenHut said:

Yup. Been this way for much of this failed regime. 

Sadly it is true at least from potential staff. Maybe it's changed now though. There was another corps with the exact rep. who seem to get it together in recent years and turned things around and seems to no longer have that stigma

18 hours ago, rmurrey74 said:

I won’t name names, but from a staff perspective in the activity, designing at Madison is not looked at as a popular destination because of past experiences with the alumni base.  That’s definitely discussed throughout.  Some people like the freedom to create and openness to ideas of other organizations.  

This...................................hopefully its different now....Scouts need to be a force again...and can be!

On 7/8/2023 at 8:45 AM, rmurrey74 said:

Not all, but alumni have had a direct effect of top designers not wanting to work there. They'll have to take a chance on younger talent, which isn't a bad thing, or shell out $$$ to make it hard decision.

This is a deflection. Why would the alumni be an issue recruiting talent? If the alumni were in issue in recruiting talent, what's the root cause of the alumni's concerns? The alumni have been patient, they have serious and legitimate concerns with the management of the organization for more than a decade, they have a right to voice their opinions, and in some cases, been treated very poorly by management. The current management fired Jim Mason, who is an alumnus, has an outstanding track record of success, was making significant contributions to the corps, and didn't require $$$.

I know the creative and instructional staff, and all of the members are doing their best. I wish them well this season.

Best wishes to all of the creative and instructional staff, and members for a great season! Nice to see them at currently at 13. 

Edited by madisonsmiley

3 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

I mean didn't their Facebook groups get shut down for how toxic it got? If the alumni only want people they like and threaten to withhold funding then they have to do what's best financially. And if they want the corps to still be like the 90s in 2023 it won't be competitive. So it's like shooting yourself in the foot. 

After yesterday they NEED a new drill writer. Boerma can write for 2023 style but the drill just seems high school marching band level and not like high BOA. Is that because of talent or design? Idk. 

It isn't fair to paint the alumni with a broad brush. The alumni want the organization to be well managed, relevant, competitive, and be treated respectfully. If they were well managed, wowed crowds, were competitive, and alumni were treated respectfully in their personal interactions with Komnick, most alumni would be delighted. 

Best wishes to all of the creative and instructional staff, and members for a great season!