Madison Scouts 2023

1 minute ago, 1992AllOverAgain said:

wow

It was politically devastating. 

1 hour ago, Gantang said:

It was politically devastating. 

You talking about 1995?  They year they took 4th place?  Today’s group of leaders should be so devastating. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

You talking about 1995?  They year they took 4th place?  Today’s group of leaders should be so devastating. 

Some things are bigger than competitive placement. 

A man that goes by George H was quite successful competitively, but we all know how that played out. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

You talking about 1995?  

4 minutes ago, Gantang said:

And now it’s 2023. Is there a connection I’m missing?  I understand someone yelled “squirrel!” and diverted our attention from today’s leadership. Or are you saying today’s issues, a generation removed from Scott Stewart, are still Scott Stewart’s fault in some way?  Sal Salas managed a 6th place finish in 2005, so I would really be interested in how those dots connect. Or maybe that’s not what you’re saying. 

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

And now it’s 2023. Is there a connection I’m missing? 

Go back and read the entire thread. It's in response to bonehead moves by Scott Stewart. It's a historical perspective on the "scores don't matter" and "judges suck" philosophy. Sal and Michael immediately started rebuilding a relationships with the Judging community because sending non-English speaking members to critiques was incredibly insulting. 

1 hour ago, Gantang said:

Go back and read the entire thread. It's in response to bonehead moves by Scott Stewart. It's a historical perspective on the "scores don't matter" and "judges suck" philosophy. Sal and Michael immediately started rebuilding a relationships with the Judging community because sending non-English speaking members to critiques was incredibly insulting. 

Right.  Read the thread. The title of the thread is “Madison Scouts 2023.”  So that is why I asked you about connecting the dots from the director 21 years ago, and how that is affecting todays performance. You said Sal and Michael started rebuilding relationships immediately.  So are you saying there’s a connection, or no?

• Like 1

On 8/6/2023 at 8:27 AM, HockeyDad said:

You’re pinning this on Scott Stewart?  The beginning of the end?  He’s been gone 20 YEARS. Are you also blaming SCV’s inability to field a corps this year on Gail Royer?  

This is so preposterous it’s laughable. But I guess this is what the apologetics have left at this point. Thanks for the belly laugh. 

They need big barrels of cash?  Ok. What’s the holdup?  Other corps have done it. I guess when you alienate and close the door on a large chunk of your alumni base, the cash cow dries up a bit. I suppose this must be Scott Stewart’s fault too?  Certainly nothing the present regime has done is the problem. It’s Scott Stewart. That, plus people saying mean things on DCP.  Do I have that right?

You read Chris's post and this is how you chose to respond? These are your takeaways? 

#toxic

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, C.Holland said:

Aussies malagueña ice castles… set it all on fire and let the new Artistic types do their job.  And everyone is going to have to be ok with it if you want success. 

This spurred synapses like nothing in the 80 pages of this thread.

Blue Devils have had the same identity since 1976. Cavies have had the same identity since forever. Phantom has had the same identity ...you get my point.

THE Madison Scouts had an identity that wavered a bit but never waned until the addition of girls. DO NOT STOP READING HERE AND START BLASTING ME!

It is impossible for a co-ed madison scouts to have the same identity as THE Madison Scouts. Masculine only works with guys. Pulling the brim of the aussie down so that no one can see your eyes was bad arse and was something Madison was known for. Here in lies the rub.

What is the madison scouts' identity now that they have added girls? We're several years into this and no distinct "brand" exists. They should have hired a marketing consultant to walk the BOD and leadership through a process to determine who the madison scouts would be. It's not, nor can it ever be, "Aussies malagueña ice castles".

A show shouldn't need a libretto for people to get what the corps is doing. They should be able to understand the show by watching and listening. The same thing is true with a corps' identity. When I look at the co-ed seasons, I don't recognize THE Madison Scouts or the madison scouts. It's time for them to figure out their brand so that the show designs can be tailored to it. Unless they do, they will never develop the cohesion that BD and the others listed above have.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1