Madison Scouts 2023

7 minutes ago, gbass598 said:

IMO designing for drum corps and a successful band program boils down to 3 things. Competent organizational structure, a competent instructional staff and a talented member base. There are lots of band programs out there way more competent than drum corps organizations.

I've taught a HS band where the instructional staff and the member base was much better than the show design they performed. We now have a competent show designer and look forward to having big things happen this year to take advantage of our strengths for greater success

What does Madison have?

Competent organizational structure - I see nothing but alumni on here complaining about the corp leadership and probably rightfully so.

Competent instructional staff - I don't know that I can answer that fully. I know the percussion staff has shown some gains and some respect in the last couple of years but now we fall to point #3 as to what may be holding them back. I believe they have solid educators overall but are they being put in a position to succeed?

Talented member base - By all accounts, Scouts just don't draw the talent that others around them do. How do they fix that? I guess we cycle back to point #1.

If you are failing on 2 of those 3 points, design doesn't do much for you but will certainly take the blame.

Design is just notes and drill dots on a page until the organizational structure provides the resources to accomplish it and the instructional staff makes it happen. Someone just doesn't become a bad or good designer just because it is drum corps and not marching band. The whole package needs to be right.

I think this is very well put. 

Has Darrin Davis been mentioned as a possibility at Madison? He's a Scouts alum that turned Broken Arrow into a beast, and he's apparently become a respected DCI judge. He'd also be senior enough to dictate what is necessary to make Madison successful. 

I was told that as recently as a couple weeks ago, the BOD chair was on board with Robb. I guess something changed since? Nevertheless, the BOD chair is a Tulsa guy, so Darrin Davis might make sense. 

3 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

the BOD chair was on board with Robb. 

To run the organization?

3 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

Has Darrin Davis been mentioned as a possibility at Madison? He's a Scouts alum that turned Broken Arrow into a beast, and he's apparently become a respected DCI judge. He'd also be senior enough to dictate what is necessary to make Madison successful. 

I was told that as recently as a couple weeks ago, the BOD chair was on board with Robb. I guess something changed since? Nevertheless, the BOD chair is a Tulsa guy, so Darrin Davis might make sense. 

In what role? He's not the program designer for BA, Wes Pendergrass is. He'd probably be a better fit for corps director or a highly powerful board role to direct change but it would be crazy to leave Broken Arrow for a drum corps job.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, gbass598 said:

In what role? He's not the program designer for BA, Wes Pendergrass is. He'd probably be a better fit for corps director or a highly powerful board role to direct change but it would be crazy to leave Broken Arrow for a drum corps job.

Wes Cartwright is...not Wes P.

Darrin Davis could whip everyone into shape....if Madison could get him in ANY capacity. It would be huge.

To what I have been told by a staff member.....the organization was going to move forward with the current team. Several design team members resigned finals week. No information to why so far.

Edited by bugleboy85

8 minutes ago, gbass598 said:

*Wes Cartwright

I'd say a program coordinator role could still be on the table. Assembling a talented group of designers to put the show together. I doubt Dean Westman contributes a lot to design, but he facilitates that process for Bluecoats, for example.

10 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

*Wes Cartwright

I'd say a program coordinator role could still be on the table. Assembling a talented group of designers to put the show together. I doubt Dean Westman contributes a lot to design, but he facilitates that process for Bluecoats, for example.

10 minutes ago, bugleboy85 said:

Wes Cartright is...not Wes P.

Darrin Davis could whip everyone into shape....if Madison could get him in ANY capacity. It would be huge.

To what I have been told by a staff member.....the organization was going to move forward with the current team. Several design team members resigned finals week. No information to why so far.

My bad. easy mixup.

bb5e88662d36b417ff6704010a2c394a.jpg

Edited by gbass598

1 hour ago, gbass598 said:

IMO designing for drum corps and a successful band program boils down to 3 things. Competent organizational structure, a competent instructional staff and a talented member base. There are lots of band programs out there way more competent than drum corps organizations.

I've taught a HS band where the instructional staff and the member base was much better than the show design they performed. We now have a competent show designer and look forward to having big things happen this year to take advantage of our strengths for greater success

What does Madison have?

Competent organizational structure - I see nothing but alumni on here complaining about the corp leadership and probably rightfully so.

Competent instructional staff - I don't know that I can answer that fully. I know the percussion staff has shown some gains and some respect in the last couple of years but now we fall to point #3 as to what may be holding them back. I believe they have solid educators overall but are they being put in a position to succeed?

Talented member base - By all accounts, Scouts just don't draw the talent that others around them do. How do they fix that? I guess we cycle back to point #1.

If you are failing on 2 of those 3 points, design doesn't do much for you but will certainly take the blame.

Design is just notes and drill dots on a page until the organizational structure provides the resources to accomplish it and the instructional staff makes it happen. Someone just doesn't become a bad or good designer just because it is drum corps and not marching band. The whole package needs to be right.

I agree with these points that they need to have this going for them for design to really work...

Madison has been using the "we dont pull in the same talent as everyone" excuse for years. What about Spirit this year? mostly high school students and they were knocking on the door of finals several times throughout the season. Not an excuse anymore. 

You mean to tell me the difference of talent between 2009 and 2010 was that great? Same pull of talent if not worse in 2010 considering how bad 2009 was. 

Very rarely do we see the performers not living up to the design to the point that the corps goes down several placements. I wonder if anyone can name one?

Many times throughout history we can point to design/drill/programming for the fall of a drum corps in placement. 

Edited by MM2006
  • Like 1