Bluecoats 2023

2 hours ago, skevinp said:

The source material doesn't repeat anything, but it sounds like the show does (though maybe I'm wrong as it was hard to hear on Flo).

I really like the poem, and the visual references to it.

I went to the Garden of Love,

And saw what I never had seen:

A Chapel was built in the midst,

Where I used to play on the green.

And the gates of this Chapel were shut,

And 'Thou shalt not' writ over the door;

So I turn'd to the Garden of Love,

That so many sweet flowers bore. 

And I saw it was filled with graves,

And tomb-stones where flowers should be:

And Priests in black gowns, were walking their rounds,

And binding with briars, my joys & desires.

The source material is from a musical adaptation of the poem by JacobTV. Bloo is pretty faithful to this adaption, narration wise. Here's a link timestamped for convenience.

• Thanks 4

14 hours ago, bicsta said:

The narration is right out of the source material, FWIW. The piece is absolutely bonkers, you should check it out. I would love to be a fly on the wall on these design meetings.

I'd probably fall off the wall due to all the smoke 🙂

The narration and the reading of the piece itself is not an issue. It helps provide context to the show them. It's the repeating "a chappel" over and over and over.

The way the show is written to illustrate the poem is wonderful.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, ThePlanets said:

The narration and the reading of the piece itself is not an issue. It helps provide context to the show them. It's the repeating "a chappel" over and over and over.

The way the show is written to illustrate the poem is wonderful.

I’m with you … I could do with less chapel (that sounds weird coming from clergy) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Interested to see how the show develops after San Antonio.

I think everyone is in agreement that the ending will be changed but I’m also eager to see the small changes that will inevitably go in.

For whatever reason, judges are not rewarding them for content. Not sure why. Maybe it just needs to be cleaned first much like last year.

I still view this show as the only true challenger to BD. As long as they continue to clean and show growth, it will peak at the right time. The captions they’re losing right now are all individual performance captions which leads me to think that cleaning alone will launch them to 2nd.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Big Bird said:

Interested to see how the show develops after San Antonio.

I think everyone is in agreement that the ending will be changed but I’m also eager to see the small changes that will inevitably go in.

For whatever reason, judges are not rewarding them for content. Not sure why. Maybe it just needs to be cleaned first much like last year.

I still view this show as the only true challenger to BD. As long as they continue to clean and show growth, it will peak at the right time. The captions they’re losing right now are all individual performance captions which leads me to think that cleaning alone will launch them to 2nd.

I feel like this show is ahead of last year, and is a lot more difficult; brass book, weapons centric guard, 60yds of polyrhythmic texture (although last year too), etc. “Bump” is this year keytar; this group can really play, much stronger than last year. Best designed show of the year (again, IMHO)….just need something to make it all come together. Crown showed their had first last night (new ending), which pushed them back up on top….wonder when Bloo will show ?

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Maleguena1988 said:

I feel like this show is ahead of last year, and is a lot more difficult; brass book, weapons centric guard, 60yds of polyrhythmic texture (although last year too), etc. “Bump” is this year keytar; this group can really play, much stronger than last year. Best designed show of the year (again, IMHO)….just need something to make it all come together. Crown showed their had first last night (new ending), which pushed them back up on top….wonder when Bloo will show ?

No shows next Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday 👀

• Like 2