Vanguard Cadets Announce Hiatus

This is a pathetic move from Santa Clara, but is unfortunately not a huge shock considering how the current management views the cadets corps role in the organization. When the Rennicks came in, they made it clear they didn't give a crap about the cadets corps, and the organization as a whole has been closing that gap in the last few years. Luckily when Steve Barnhill was director he made sure the corps was well taken care of, always fed, always rested, and given a great experience. It seems like that mentality has gone by the wayside. 

The corps ceased being a feeder corps to SCV a long time ago, with more members moving on to other world class organizations than the A-Corps, and it's been eating the organization alive. I'm sure their thought process is that the organization would be better served by putting that money into A-Corps (despite the fact that SCVC has been winning championships regularly while the A-Corps floundered about trying to be relevant for most of the last 20 years). 

Really disappointed here, and definitely will not be supporting the broader organization in any way from this point forward. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, MarimbaManiac said:

This is a pathetic move from Santa Clara, but is unfortunately not a huge shock considering how the current management views the cadets corps role in the organization. When the Rennicks came in, they made it clear they didn't give a crap about the cadets corps, and the organization as a whole has been closing that gap in the last few years. Luckily when Steve Barnhill was director he made sure the corps was well taken care of, always fed, always rested, and given a great experience. It seems like that mentality has gone by the wayside. 

The corps ceased being a feeder corps to SCV a long time ago, with more members moving on to other world class organizations than the A-Corps, and it's been eating the organization alive. I'm sure their thought process is that the organization would be better served by putting that money into A-Corps (despite the fact that SCVC has been winning championships regularly while the A-Corps floundered about trying to be relevant for most of the last 20 years). 

Really disappointed here, and definitely will not be supporting the broader organization in any way from this point forward. 

Barnhill was probably told to leave because he stuck out for us too much. And SCVC just won 5 of the last 7 seasons they've done a national tour. With one of the most consistent design staff and instructional staff from DCI top to bottom. To say I'm devastated for them and the members is an understatement. I just can't wrap my head around why they would completely put the program on hiatus.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, TubaPlayer said:

VMAPA and SCV-A loves to talk about being classy, and we learned that their definition of class is very different than what is actually portrayed. 

That always bugged me. There is a corps director from a now defunct WI corps who would preach “class”. If you have to mention that you’re classy, you’re most likely not.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, MarimbaManiac said:

This is 100% what happened. He was run out because he didn't like the direction the board wanted to take the corps.

He was so right too. VMAPA cared more about their ego than to keep around one of the last people connected to SCV's past.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, DFA1970 said:

Sad to hear and to me this is probably the end of the SCVC. You have two corps with over 120 members that have expenses of touring. 2019 Both BDB and Vanguard Cadets didn't not go to DCI Championships. Both did only CA shows. It would not surprise me if the Blue Devils make the same decision.

both admitted the full season option was going to be a kind of every other year thing before that year. but BD seems to have fund revenue producing options few other corps have