The Cadets 2023

LOVE the new ending!   The name of the game now is clean, clean , clean, clean.....

• Like 4

12 hours ago, DAYGO said:

LOVE the new ending!   The name of the game now is clean, clean , clean, clean.....

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tommeee said:

Coming over as a Phantom phan just to get y’all’s thoughts! First of all, HUGEEEE fan of the run-and-gun at the end. Classic Cadets. My big concern for them, though, is that this is sort of a Catch-22 if not rehearsed absolutely perfect. The way I see it, they’ve really got two imperfect options:

A) They go all in and clean up this very complicated and cool drill, in effect sacrificing time that could’ve went to cleaning and other sections and sub-captions of the show. You’d leave the crowd and judges with a phenomenal final statement, but a lacking (ofc relatively speaking) product overall.

B) They clean it a bit but don’t devote as much time as necessary to make it perfect so that they can clean other parts of the show, resulting in the last thing the judges see being a closer that is subpar in achievement. That would be the last thing the judges see before they write down the score.

I love this sorta drill, but I don’t think it’s crazy to see why it’s sorta fallen out of favor in the past decade for drill designers and design staffs, especially when being officially added about two weeks from Finals. Just so little room for error, error which can have detrimental impacts for the whole show. What’s the vibe on it over here?

Edited by college-phan
  • Like 2

That could have been said about 1985, no?  The demand of the show was so much higher than anyone else, it raised the bar for adjudication.  And we still talk about that show today. Cadets were not the cleanest in 85, but it was INSANELY difficult. While, true it may have fallen out of favor, up tempo endings, for a variety of reasons, how do the CADETS identify themselves, in such a narrowing idiom that has been simply robbing from each other?  The activity is a bit vanilla in many ways.  With now the talk is, how DCI is defined by WGI, when it used to be vis a vis.

While there is a lot to be said about tradition and what each Corps is competent in.  Movement defines the Cadets.  I would rather see them fail while remaining true to this capacity than become mediocre vanilla and unremarkable, or even out of minds eye.  The Cadet/Cipriani sound is in Boston (can't deny that) ,  the Guard is definitely back and doing amazing.  Drums will be what they will be, in the mix.  But, pushing the boundaries of drill design and innovation for the activity is a must for keeping Cadets relevant, otherwise why go?  So the run-and-gun is back.  But, it had better be special.  Not so sure this season, has "tons of exceptional fan memories" to be taken away that will make you think about the era 25 years later.  Some of the most entertaining aspects of the current era, happen, In the LOT! 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, college-phan said:

I love this sorta drill, but I don’t think it’s crazy to see why it’s sorta fallen out of favor in the past decade for drill designers and design staffs, especially when being officially added about two weeks from Finals. Just so little room for error, error which can have detrimental impacts for the whole show. What’s the vibe on it over here?

I think the vibe here is, "bring it on, Cadets!"  

To elaborate, I took this Cadets philosophy (at least from what I gleaned) with me as a teacher.  I always hand my students a product that's attainable, but barely.  I'm up front about it, too; the kids know going in that we'll have to work their tails off.  My kids are rarely "competitive" but those final runs at the end of the season where everything finally comes together... it's a special feeling.  So yeah... let's go for it and make something truly great.  If you're the best out there that year, you'll win... if not, you won't.  🙂  

39 minutes ago, Eric M. Buckman said:

That could have been said about 1985, no?  The demand of the show was so much higher than anyone else, it raised the bar for adjudication.  And we still talk about that show today. Cadets were not the cleanest in 85, but it was INSANELY difficult. While, true it may have fallen out of favor, up tempo endings, for a variety of reasons, how do the CADETS identify themselves, in such a narrowing idiom that has been simply robbing from each other?  The activity is a bit vanilla in many ways.  With now the talk is, how DCI is defined by WGI, when it used to be vis a vis.

Boom.  Exactly!

I watched the Middle Tennessee and the Atlanta shows on Flo.  Couple thoughts:

• WOW! What an improvement in 24 hours.  
  • Spacing issues and form integrity really hurt visual tonight (multi-cam... didn't see high-cam), but the group performance seemed much more comfortable and confident tonight.  Fantastic run.
  • My wife, sitting next to me, said, "I think that opening is my favorite moment of the year."    Yeah, honey... me too.
  • Transitions between movements don't seem as long/forced as they did at the beginning.  Not sure if it's improved staging or some cuts, but the flow seems much better now.  
  • The multi-cam really helped cement the Atlas concept with the guard choreography, horn acting, and the "rising above/lifting up" motif with the curved poles and the new ending "climbing" thing.  I'm almost completely sold on this show, ya'll.  
  • Good to see some of the holes from the other night are now filled back in... hoping the kids are staying healthy and happy!

What's the vibe from the members? How are they feeling right now? From where I'm sitting, it's starting to feel like something special is brewing...

That's enough.  To bed!  To bed, I said.  

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Eric M. Buckman said:

The Cadet/Cipriani sound is in Boston (can't deny that)

I really disagree with this statement!  I love Boston, but they sound like Boston (and this is not a bad thing).  Gino Cipriani certainly helps, but he doesn’t define their sound, because he isn’t the one writing the arrangements.

Cadets really sound like Cadets this year.  Jay Bocook defines the modern “Cadet” sound, and Matt Stratton is bringing it to life (much like Gino did previously).

• Like 4

15 hours ago, ranintothedoor said:

I watched the Middle Tennessee and the Atlanta shows on Flo.  Couple thoughts:

• WOW! What an improvement in 24 hours.  
  • Spacing issues and form integrity really hurt visual tonight (multi-cam... didn't see high-cam), but the group performance seemed much more comfortable and confident tonight.  Fantastic run.
  • My wife, sitting next to me, said, "I think that opening is my favorite moment of the year."    Yeah, honey... me too.
  • Transitions between movements don't seem as long/forced as they did at the beginning.  Not sure if it's improved staging or some cuts, but the flow seems much better now.  
  • The multi-cam really helped cement the Atlas concept with the guard choreography, horn acting, and the "rising above/lifting up" motif with the curved poles and the new ending "climbing" thing.  I'm almost completely sold on this show, ya'll.  
  • Good to see some of the holes from the other night are now filled back in... hoping the kids are staying healthy and happy!

What's the vibe from the members? How are they feeling right now? From where I'm sitting, it's starting to feel like something special is brewing...

According to my son, last night was only the third time running the full closer as an ensemble, due to heat shorten rehearsals by 45-60 minutes and back to back competitions. They learned the final dots in the rehersal before performing at Murfreeboro on Friday. 

They are having some stamina issues with the drill and playing, so they are losing their sound towards the end. Hopefully, they will have a productive rehearsal day on Monday w/o any weather impacts in Annapolis. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, postertrout said:

According to my son, last night was only the third time running the full closer as an ensemble, ... Hopefully, they will have a productive rehearsal day on Monday w/o any weather impacts in Annapolis. 

Dang! That's impressive! 

I'm going to be there live at Annapolis, and I'm bringing 44 kids/parents!  Can't wait to see your son perform, @postertrout!

• Like 1