Should Cadets Have Won Drums?

Seth_h

As far as alignment responsibilities, whomever questioned it better listen again, because right off the bat, they freakin spread the battery endzone to endzone and the aligned the pit chart accordingly and it was BUTTER! not to mention I love that first drum break with the tenors going crazy underneath the crazy pit check pattern rhythms. Man what a show! All this talk makes me want to listen to my MiniDisc again!

Sorry...Im ########

Who are are you talking about there...SCV or Cadets???

Could apply to both as both were NAILS!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the dynamic range of the ensemble, the varied rudiment selection, sound effects, timing responsibilites, aggression were just incredible.

That pretty much say's it all right there.

Both SCV and BD are playing stuff that is so much more progressive than most any other corps.

BD's Bass line is playing stuff I never thought I would ever hear.

I think BD's biggest problem is the Dyansty drums are just TOO articulate thereby exposing every little note.

Cadets have a great line but what they are playing isn't taking too many chances.

It's diddle patterns. I Love the paradiddle stuff they do but, where are all the flam rudiments?

Another line that really Impressed me is Phantom Regiment.

Sure Cadets line is clean but I want to see stuff that makes me go :lol:

Flammaster I am blown away by you saying that Cadets don't play any flams or anything but diddles. Please look closer at their book. It is extremely dense and full of flams(even in the bass writing!) And to be more specific for you how about this. Go to Vicfirth.com and look at the clips again.

Let's start with clip 2- there are a number of hand to hand flam patterns 1/4 into the video in eighth duration. After the drum solo when it drops down to just the bass line the tenors and then snares enter with flam patterns and sixteenth not flam five patterns. This is RPH which admittedly contained more rolls and fast sixteenth notes than the rest to keep the flow of the piece moving at a quick pace.

Moving on to clip 3- As soon as the snares enter with their feature they play flam five patterns with the left hand in sixteenth note form. As soon as the whole battery enters the ensemble has flam rudiments like crazy spread out through the entire section. It is not one big flam fest to see how many flams they can fit in a bar like BD does but there is a mixture of cheezes flam fives and flam drags everywhere. This section climaxs after the two bars of straight eighth notes into the drum solo. This is where the ENTIRE battery including the tenors and bass play 2 bars of cheeze ta chettas all off the right hand and then 1 off the left at the end followed by the fast rolls and quarter note triplet ending. It then picks up again and there are flams interspresed among the parts. Then there is a ritardando and the tempo starts over with a bar of rolls and then a bar of flams repeated. There is also a flam passage right towards the end.

Clip 4- Tenors play the feature with the triplet based flams. Then the whole battery plays the feature with the messed up rythms at the end. In that feature the snares and tenors play hand flams in triplet form. Then it goes to the groove where there are alot of roll patterns until the third phrase where the snares step out and play a feature. This feature contains 2 beats of Flam drags followed by inverted flam taps and then 3 r handed flams in a row. Then the bar has 2 beats of flam fives and then some singles on the last two beats.

I hope this clears up the confusion about the Cadets book. If you like I can give you a flam count and tell you exactly how many flams they do play.

You also must realize that flams are a basic part of the Cadets book. They are spread throughout the entire thing. Flams are not used as a "WOW look at that snare feature they're playing alot of flams" tool. They play flams all the time not just to make features more diffucult like BD does.

As far as the vic firth clips that is all I have heard of thier book this year.

I thought I did hear some fives but with that little tiny window you can't see it very well.

I'm sure once I get the CD I will be pleasantly surprized.

I shure wasn't when I saw them in concord in 2001.

If they have VERN working with them I know he would Bail unless they were throwing down.

yea I'll have to go check that out.

I guess I'm just going by my past experiences of not seeing them play much.

But as with 94 you have to really listen to it!

They can be really sneaky with some of those parts.

I really am getting to appreciate them more and more each day.

I guess it goes to show that if it's not right in my face I won't even listen.

since switching to guitar and losing alot of the chops I used to have I notice Drummers that I used to not even listen to just because it wasn't balls to the wall in your face.

thanks for the heads up!!!

I'm gonna try to really disect it and listen harder.

yea were all still ###### at the 20 thing in 87. (I was there ).

This feature contains 2 beats of Flam drags followed by inverted flam taps and then 3 r handed flams in a row. Then the bar has 2 beats of flam fives and then some singles on the last two beats.

I didn't even notice this part. just from your discription it sounds like a Float Run.

I like inverts and flam fives the best. (flam drags are over rated IMO).

the Cadets use of Paradiddles is something most Corps don't even use any more.