Should Cadets Have Won Drums?

Seth_h

I have been disecting the BD show on the CD and they are kind of dirty in some parts.

yea Crown has been getting Dumped on big time! Clean and real nice book.

I really like what Cadets did this year! Finally they start playing some stuff!

(I always knew they could)

I really think that SCV's book is more musical than Cadets though.

PR has a sweet line though.

Finally though after hearing at least 15 of the Corps i'd say Crown should have placed WAY up there!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been disecting the BD show on the CD and they are kind of dirty in some parts.

Flammaster - yeah, I sometimes wonder if dirtiness on the CD is real, or just a byproduct of echo and recording. The only real "evidence" I have is shows where I have the judges tape as well as the DCI recording, and the judges tape sounds great where the line sounds fuzzy in the DCI recording. I wonder if that's sometimes the case?

Sometimes it helps to listen to just the right or left channel. If the line is way out near the end zone there is no way their sound is getting to both of the mics at the same time so it sounds dirty even if it's not. This is especially noticable in most of the 90's recordings. It's really hard to tell if it's clean. I also think this has to do with the controversy surrounding the big BD '95 roll.

Now in something like this year with Cadets guard- they came in 5th on quarters, 1st on semis, and 2nd on Finals.  That tells me that something weird with the judges was obviously going on and that there was some controversy behind it.

Whats more likely to have occured than a judging consipiracy? Cadets guard had their worst perfomance of the three nights on Quarters, had a great show on Semis, and almost as good as Semis show on Finals night.

Why is it always the judges fault?

Anyways, to get back on topic....I would have liked to see BD take drums...but I trust the judges!

Actually the color guard on Quarter finals hates YEA but especially the Cadets. She put Cadets in 5th and Crossmen in 15th on quarters! She was the judge that George Hopkins did not want on the panel because he knew she was going to dump the Cadets, and she did ruining all chances at the Cadets winning guard. This is the incident where George got a penalty and could not enter the stadium on quarter finals because of it. So in this case it was the judges fault. But I agree with you in that MOST of the time I agree with the judges.

Could you please name this judge?

Interesting thought there Jim...

I'm not a drummer.....but I've always felt the cleanest line should ultimately be what "high drums" should be about. What do you think is more important? In my mind...no matter whether it is a hornline, guard, or drumline...having a hard book but peforming it badly ( or even peforming it well...but not as good as others ) should not be rewarded....as much as the line who is clean...

just my .02

CM

Well..........we could have 11 1/2 minutes of whole and half notes only, and it would be the cleanest thing out there. Kinda defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

Interesting thought there Jim...

I'm not a drummer.....but I've always felt the cleanest line should ultimately be what "high drums" should be about.  What do you think is more important?  In my mind...no matter whether it is a hornline, guard, or drumline...having a hard book but peforming it badly ( or even peforming it well...but not as good as others ) should not be rewarded....as much as the line who is clean...

just my .02

CM

Well..........we could have 11 1/2 minutes of whole and half notes only, and it would be the cleanest thing out there. Kinda defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

So basically you are describing Cavaliers horn book from 2002! J/K

We already resolved this issue- please look above. Having a good book with lots of style changes and musical phrasing also helps.

What I believe though is that the top 4 maybe 5 drumlines demand are all about the same. Each line has different parts of their show which are very demanding either physically, musically, or ensembly. So basically by finals week the judge really is just picking the cleanest line for the top spot that night.

Sometimes it helps to listen to just the right or left channel. If the line is way out near the end zone there is no way their sound is getting to both of the mics at the same time so it sounds dirty even if it's not. This is especially noticable in most of the 90's recordings. It's really hard to tell if it's clean. I also think this has to do with the controversy surrounding the big BD '95 roll.

Interesting - I'll try that!