Should Cadets Have Won Drums?

Seth_h

The first thing I dig more about Vanguard is their approach to the instrument. I look at their pit and see professional musicians. Cadets to me look less concert hall. I just dig the orchestral look and sound to the way Vanguard plays. The technique's almost straight from the Stevens book, and I like that. I also enjoy how Vanguard places a ton of responsibility on the pit. As far as I can tell, the Cadets pit has been more color than actual musical substance the last few years. I'm not talking about a pit feature or anything like that... I'm talking about carrying a serious part of the music ensemble. Finally, sound quality! If you can stand in front of Vanguard pit, then Cadets pit and tell me that there's not a difference in sonority, then you need to get your ears checked. Vanguard plays into the bar and gets good sound quality even at low levels.

It's all just personal preference. I've been trained in pits of both styles. I prefer the Vanguard style. Not to take away from Cadets... the kids bust their tails. I just think the philosophy isn't all that.

Jim

I disagree with that comment. I have stood in front of both pits many a times this year (more vanguard than cadets b/c they were at more shows I went to and they both have an outstanding presense.

Cadets have a very sonorous sound WHEN it is called for. I wasnt called for much this year, only in Malaquena's slow part. Dont tell me to get my ears checked...thats a hit. I dont think one is better than the other sound quality wise b/c of different styles of writing. And trust me, if you dont think cadets play into the bar, then I dont know who does. Again, the writing is different and to say one is light years ahead of the other based on your arguement is absurd.

I however enjoy SCV more, but dont find your comments to be valid based on what you have said.

"Bring it home Santa Clara"

S.L. Virtue

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who am I? I am i marching member who has studied this activity extensively and listened to many audio recording of drumlines and trained my ears and my eyes to se what my OPINION of a good drumline is. On the subject of Todd Fox. I do not say he is a bad judge because he dumped my line's scores. I don't work like that. I say he is a bad judge becuase the comments he makes on tapes. This year in our opener there are two quad break, basically one right after another. Is he there for either one of them, nope, does he make the attempt to come over after noticing we are the only instrument in the batery playing, BOTH TIMES, nope, does he say anything about it on the tapes, nope, and by the way, they were ####-clean.Also, he dumped Madison earlier this year and he also dumped Lehigh Valley at the Grand Haven show last year. It's not just isolated to Teal. Plus, when Charlie Pool gives us a 16.8 and a 17.5 and then we get better and Todd Fox gives us a 15.6, I think somethings wrong.

I have also heard tapes by Todd Fox. He's not the best... but he's not bad. So, why is it that Todd Fox is bad because his scores are lower than Charlie Poole? Couldn't the reverse be true? Isn't it possible that Charlie gave you too high a score? I commend you on your "####-clean" quad playing, but it's impossible to catch everything that's going on. It's only possible to get a sampling of each section at different parts of the show. So he missed your quad break... big deal. I don't care how many tapes you've listened to, or how trained you think your ears are... I still don't think you're qualified to label Todd Fox a bad judge.

Jim

No, I do not think Charlie Pool gave us too high a score. Why? Compare our score and the Cadets of NYC at both shows. They dropped slightly with Todd Fox but stayed high box 4, we dropped 2 full points, and we are not worse than they are. Also, if you read what I said about the quad breaks, he didn't even attempt to go over and listen to them, every other judge we had this year, including Allen Christianson, once they hard we were the only ones playing came over to hear how we played the parts. Also, I don't think I know how well my ears are trained, I know what I hear and can tell dirt from clean.

The first thing I dig more about Vanguard is their approach to the instrument. I look at their pit and see professional musicians. Cadets to me look less concert hall. I just dig the orchestral look and sound to the way Vanguard plays. The technique's almost straight from the Stevens book, and I like that. I also enjoy how Vanguard places a ton of responsibility on the pit. As far as I can tell, the Cadets pit has been more color than actual musical substance the last few years. I'm not talking about a pit feature or anything like that... I'm talking about carrying a serious part of the music ensemble. Finally, sound quality! If you can stand in front of Vanguard pit, then Cadets pit and tell me that there's not a difference in sonority, then you need to get your ears checked. Vanguard plays into the bar and gets good sound quality even at low levels.

It's all just personal preference. I've been trained in pits of both styles. I prefer the Vanguard style. Not to take away from Cadets... the kids bust their tails. I just think the philosophy isn't all that.

Jim

I disagree with that comment. I have stood in front of both pits many a times this year (more vanguard than cadets b/c they were at more shows I went to and they both have an outstanding presense.

Cadets have a very sonorous sound WHEN it is called for. I wasnt called for much this year, only in Malaquena's slow part. Dont tell me to get my ears checked...thats a hit. I dont think one is better than the other sound quality wise b/c of different styles of writing. And trust me, if you dont think cadets play into the bar, then I dont know who does. Again, the writing is different and to say one is light years ahead of the other based on your arguement is absurd.

I however enjoy SCV more, but dont find your comments to be valid based on what you have said.

"Bring it home Santa Clara"

S.L. Virtue

yea I can see you point. SCV plays wih mouch more Sonority. They have more of an Ensemble sense. Cadets Pit have some Chops and play very well fast. Cadets are Cleaner in some respects but for my money the SCV/ Madison pits are the Best in the Industry.

Battery wize I'd take BD over anyone.

yea I can see you point. SCV plays wih mouch more Sonority. They have more of an Ensemble sense. Cadets Pit have some Chops and play very well fast. Cadets are Cleaner in some respects but for my money the SCV/ Madison pits are the Best in the Industry.

BD over anyone is #### right! They were hot and ON finals night. Barely any fuzz this year compared to last year. I would've put them in first finals night.

yea I can see you point.  SCV plays wih mouch more Sonority.  They have more of an Ensemble sense.  Cadets Pit have some Chops and play very well fast.  Cadets are Cleaner in some respects but for my money the SCV/ Madison pits are the Best in the Industry.

BD over anyone is #### right! They were hot and ON finals night. Barely any fuzz this year compared to last year. I would've put them in first finals night.

I think the judges would and did disagree with that statement. BD plays alot more than just drum solos that you can here from anywhere in the stands. Their hornline covers them up alot so who knows how they sounded under all the horn parts. Oh wait the judges do!

• 2 weeks later...

I have no problem with CBC winning as they were on fire at finals-PERIOD

Personally, I agree with (schleic8?) on the SCV thing. I wanted them to win b/c the book was incredible. Probably the most book in DCI, the dynamic range of the ensemble, the varied rudiment selection, sound effects, timing responsibilites, aggression were just incredible. As far as alignment responsibilities, whomever questioned it better listen again, because right off the bat, they freakin spread the battery endzone to endzone and the aligned the pit chart accordingly and it was BUTTER! not to mention I love that first drum break with the tenors going crazy underneath the crazy pit check pattern rhythms. Man what a show! All this talk makes me want to listen to my MiniDisc again!

Tough call for anyone to make.

Esquire