Should Cadets Have Won Drums?

Seth_h

Looked at the vicfirth clips. At least on that day, seems like Cadets and Phantom were cranking. Cadets are clean and very confident, and maybe it's the fuzz in my ears but, er, I for one heard a flam or two!

But, I don't buy the "he who is clean wins drums" argument. Take a listen to Crown's line in 01 and 02. They were nice and clean but were getting dumped. Obviously being clean has something to do with it, but it's ensemble, confidence or "attitude", writing and *horrors* politics.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's unfortunate that BD's snares sound choked. Too much boning.

Crown gets "dumped" because Crown is Crown and not Cadets or BD or Cavs or SCV. Those lines already have the benefit of the doubt because of who they are. What is a fundamental problem for us is an off day for them. I really don't think we got "dumped" this summer. The only times we got "dumped" were the San Antonion night show, the Indy night, and finals night... We all know who judged all three of those shows...

Crown gets "dumped" because Crown is Crown and not Cadets or BD or Cavs or SCV. Those lines already have the benefit of the doubt because of who they are. What is a fundamental problem for us is an off day for them. I really don't think we got "dumped" this summer. The only times we got "dumped" were the San Antonion night show, the Indy night, and finals night... We all know who judged all three of those shows...

Hey, I guess that's my point - if it were ideal, it would simply be the cleanest line wins, but I think politics factors in. Ryan, you imply that there was a judge that just did not like Crown. THere it is again. Unfortunate, but true.

It's definetly not the "cleanest line wins". Being the cleanest gets you points in technique and execution, but you need to have a musical book as well. One thing that has helped the Cadets the past few years has also been the style changes they have used. It's impressive to a judge when a drumline can play in 3 or 4 differents styles throughout one show. It all factors in.

Too much "showmanship" = show band. Go watch the movie drumline...