Santa Clara Vanguard 2023 Announcement Thread

Toby

I keep hoping this is a Troopers situation where SCV can take the one year break and sort this all out. The debt is huge, though. It will really take some concerted effort. That said, I will be in the San Francisco area next year. Perhaps a bingo night... I would have some entertainment for my money while maybe helping in a very modest way.

I will admit that while I love drum corps as a whole, SCV has always been my favorite corps. I never marched in any corps but they captured me my first summer watching in person in 1996. 1999 is magical to me. It makes me so sad to hear that the culture is so bruised both emotionally and financially.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

We all...myself included...are armchair quarterbacking, yet we have no say, few have ties to SCV, and face it, DCI in general laughs at DCP. So battling back and forth and throwing out ideas here does nothing. Sure some DCi folks read here, but the SCV issue is finally the financial wakeup call the activity needed...kinda like the bomb that exploded in April of 2018.

I want to make something perfectly clear.  I don’t give rat’s ### if DCI laughs at me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

59 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

OK - You have a magic wand & can make Drum Corps into at least a financially break-even activity.

What do you change?  How do you fix Drum Corps?

obviously you didnt read many things i have ever written here. i am saying this is not the money loser people think, and others here have added onto my thoughts on this better than i could ever do. 

59 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

“I do believe the higher membership size has definitely not helped, especially at the lower levels. I also think it's time Open Class stands up for themselves and gets treated seriously, especially financially.”

If history is a teacher, that’s never gonna ####### happen. They don’t give two ##### about open class and they never have. 

i agree sadly. but it's something that needs looked at more than ever

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gbass598 said:

I think the problem is the $5k tuition that has skyrocketed in recent years. I have no problem with member sizes increasing or the uses of the instrumentation. The problem is not having enough revenue sources to cover those costs without putting the bearing of that on the members themselves. 1 dollar in 1998 = 1.83 in 2022. My member fees were $750. in 2022 that means member fees would be a bit less than $1400. Instead member fees are 600% higher than they were 25 years ago. As corps bring in more members, they also expect them to provide more of the funding out of their own pocket instead of creating additional revenue streams.

But yes, as you pointed out, that 275k in revenue makes up for having a couple of marimbas on the field.

your $750 member fees also took into account food wasn't as expensive as it is now, and lets be honest, most corps didn't east as well as they do now. you also got every housing site for free or pennies.

2 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

obviously you didnt read many things i have ever written here. i am saying this is not the money loser people think, and others here have added onto my thoughts on this better than i could ever do. 

I think I was writing as you were posting.   

I suspect different Corps have different issues.  We really can’t tell without seeing actual financial data (far more detailed than on the 990s).  And the activity is more likely to go back to G bugles & the tick system than to let the books go public.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I want to make something perfectly clear.  I don’t give rat’s ### if DCI laughs at me.

i know you don't. this wasn't aimed at any one person specifically

Just now, IllianaLancerContra said:

I think I was writing as you were posting.   

I suspect different Corps have different issues.  We really can’t tell without seeing actual financial data (far more detailed than on the 990s).  And the activity is more likely to go back to G bugles & the tick system than to let the books go public.  

every corps has similar issues as well as different issues. and while i dont ever expect to see the books opened, i also don't ever expect to see ticks and G bugles either.

let's face it, only once did DCI really change a rule to overturn a previous rule. that was vocals

20 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

What scares me is if DCI reads something on DCP or other SM and immediately throws out possibly good ideas or info. Especially if DCP/SM post says DCI ain’t acting 100% perfect.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

What scares me is if DCI reads something on DCP or other SM and immediately throws out possibly good ideas or info. Especially if DCP/SM post says DCI ain’t acting 100% perfect.

I’m sure that’s exactly what they think.  I’ve never seen a mea culpa from them about the cluster #### on finals night. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2