Santa Clara Vanguard 2023 Announcement Thread

Toby

4 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

What I am trying to say is that the 3500 or so WC spots are going to be filled at the current dues level. Could there be more demand than spots if due were significantly lowered? Maybe, and I do think we need lower dues, its just that the market is currently sustaining the current dues levels. 

Here is an honest question. How many people audition with actually knowing the full cost of membership? I'm not sure any corps is transparent on their fees in public. I've not seen anything details posted on anyone's website. Even college is pretty transparent on tuition fees.

Maybe I'm wrong but drum corps seems to be "Pay your $150 audition fee and then we'll tell you what everything actually costs."

51 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

I whole heartedly agree than member dues need to be controlled, however the current cost barrier is not depressing audition turnout.  

At some places. 

26 minutes ago, gbass598 said:

Maybe. I also think we ate pretty well in 1998. We also weren't traveling 5-6 hours by bus every night. The regional touring model made for shorter bus trips and less miles traveled. The activity itself hasn't actually done much of anything to adapt and cut or minimize costs over the years. Instead the big just keep pushing to get bigger.

But bus deals are different and housing isn’t free now. Bus deals cost the same no matter how far you go or don’t go. But chartering is still more cost effective than owning and maintaining 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

I whole heartedly agree than member dues need to be controlled, however the current cost barrier is not depressing audition turnout.  

You might be surprised 

11 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

What I am trying to say is that the 3500 or so WC spots are going to be filled at the current dues level. Could there be more demand than spots if due were significantly lowered? Maybe, and I do think we need lower dues, its just that the market is currently sustaining the current dues levels. 

Most corps weren’t full last year. Auditions don’t guarantee membership even if the kids are talented 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, gbass598 said:

Here is an honest question. How many people audition with actually knowing the full cost of membership? I'm not sure any corps is transparent on their fees in public. I've not seen anything details posted on anyone's website. Even college is pretty transparent on tuition fees.

Maybe I'm wrong but drum corps seems to be "Pay your $150 audition fee and then we'll tell you what everything actually costs."

As someone who was very involved in the audition process, there are MANY who go through the audition process without any thought of making certain corps BUT do it for the actual experience. Now if they happen to make it, all the better. I've actually seen some who do make it who never even dreamed of making it nor went for that reason who were then faced with " Now what do I do"..lol

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 2

One reason Bluecoats revenue has held up is that most of their Bingo revenue is from instant Bingo machines.  While they still run a traditional bingo hall, they have 27 machines spread throughout the area that operate 24/7 and don't need volunteers or others to staff.

Edited by totaleefree

2 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

But bus deals are different and housing isn’t free now. Bus deals cost the same no matter how far you go or don’t go. But chartering is still more cost effective than owning and maintaining 

We also owned and maintained in that era. Yes, things are different now. Costs have increased, spending has increased independent of those costs without increases in relative revenue. Many corps have folded and very few have learned to adapt which is why we've gone from about 90 corps in the late 90's to the 35 that competed at Finals this year.

I'm sad about SCV. They'll recover as smart people eventually help make key decisions. Or they won't, and drum corps will still go on without them. Maybe changed. Maybe not.

Some of you probably will be able to add to this, but I'm kind of trained to ignore the talk of more shoes to drop or last days of DCI. The Cadets and Hopkins scandal was going to explode across other corps, too, possibly bringing down DCI as we know it. Then the pandemic was going to be the end of DCI as we know it. Now finances at SCV is another canary in a coal mine.

There are some interesting perspectives to consider from these 51 pages. But much unhelpful drama to wade through.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1