Local Corps Startup Costs?

7 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

I can tell you, the last gym we used for a tv shoot was $75/hour. only available after 4pm. all surfaces to be protected, all power to be provided by client, all water to be provided by client.  (meaning no facilities were available with the gym rental) 

NO adjacent spaces were available for use with this rental.  So if we wanted more space, or even the lobby, that was extra.  Even access to restrooms. 

Thanks.. yep the world has changed and corps getting free or cut rate whatever is gone. That’s another disconnect with what I see with some on FB.

Then again my city church closed for lot of the same reasons City corps went under. See it first hand and you can’t ignore the changes

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Thanks.. yep the world has changed and corps getting free or cut rate whatever is gone. That’s another disconnect with what I see with some on FB.

Then again my city church closed for lot of the same reasons City corps went under. See it first hand and you can’t ignore the changes

to be honest, going back over the budget sheet, i'm while i'm not surprised that the school charged us for the restroom use, im annoyed that it was cheaper to bring in porta johns.  

• Sad 1

22 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

By “off the rails” sounded like people thought I was planning to start a corps. The “path to a short term endeavor “ was 🤷🏻 to me.

I read a few more posts and see you still think people think you want to start a corps.  But you want to know what it costs to start a local corps.  Nearly the same question.  What you’ve been told is you need a business plan . Developing that will tell you what you need money for.  So you need to figure out what a local corps would be.

Start with $500K and go from there.  And travel only within 100 miles from home.  

6 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

to be honest, going back over the budget sheet, i'm while i'm not surprised that the school charged us for the restroom use, im annoyed that it was cheaper to bring in porta johns.  

Wow on cheaper to use jiffy John’s. Used to work large antique car and parts show in Hershey. Was friend with the guy who was “Hygenic Engineer (had to use a nice term in the program). He’d shake his head at the costs.

6 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

I read a few more posts and see you still think people think you want to start a corps.  But you want to know what it costs to start a local corps.  Nearly the same question.  What you’ve been told is you need a business plan . Developing that will tell you what you need money for.  So you need to figure out what a local corps would be.

Start with $500K and go from there.  And travel only within 100 miles from home.  

So should I go back to the people on FB and ask them what they consider to be a “local corps”? 
Just asking a basic question based on others comments and now I need to come up with detailed plans? 🙄

Edited by JimF-LowBari

On 12/14/2022 at 3:54 PM, JimF-LowBari said:

Wow on cheaper to use jiffy John’s. Used to work large antique car and parts show in Hershey. Was friend with the guy who was “Hygenic Engineer (had to use a nice term in the program). He’d shake his head at the costs.

When i tell you the school building management software quantifies everything, it literally calculates anything it considers consumable, or requires cleaning and sanitization after. Then it rolls that into your rental fee. 

which is what we do when we rent ballrooms for events. (Power, Wi-Fi, Water… are all extra services)

• Thanks 1

On 12/14/2022 at 3:54 PM, LabMaster said:

I was briefly involved in a start-up corps from Indiana aiming for Sound Sport status. The organization had some members, bought some horns, and practiced a show designed for them. But there was no credible business plan. It was the brainchild of someone passionate about drum corps and music and educating young people. Good. But you need some business people heavily influencing what is done.

The cost? I don't know. I think the founder maxed out credit cards and sucked dry their savings. But I can't verify that.

Edited by mjoakes
Grammar error.
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, mjoakes said:

I was briefly involved in a start-up corps from Indiana aiming for Sound Sport status. The organization had some members, bought some horns, and practiced a show designed for them. But there was no credible business plan. It was the brainchild of someone passionate about drum corps and music and educating young people. Good. But you need some business people heavily influencing what is done.

The cost? I don't know. I think the founder maxed out credit cards and sucked dry their savings. But I can't verify that.

The ones with good intentions, passion for drum corps etc etc is the very reason so many went under in the 70s. So many great people BITD did that very thing, max out credit cards, mortgage their homes, personal loans, just to survive and most didn't anyway. One needs way more than good intentions especially now when the resources of the good ole days do not exist today.,

• Like 3

On 12/14/2022 at 3:54 PM, JimF-LowBari said:

I have this vision of a flatbed trailer in the Corps convoy with 12 port-a-johns on it….

• Haha 1