DCI DAMAGE CONTROL

17 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

We were told to leave at lunch time so they could prepare the base for the higher threat condition. So in long line of traffic leaving the base and see one vehicle coming the other way.

It was a forklift with a concrete road (Jersey) barrier on his way to block something. That’s when it hit me….

Of course spot checks with the bomb sniffing dogs entering the base for a couple of weeks helped too. 

Northbound on I-95 was backed up to Fredericksburg; Southbound to Baltimore.   Fortunately wife knew backroads to Springfield metro station where she picked up me & 2 colleagues.  

Back on topic - I think it would help to have a Executive Director that has power to make difficult decisions & the personality type that will make them. 

16 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

No cause for panic.  This is only one corps.  Well, VMAPA runs two corps and they are both sitting out, but it is just two corps.  Well, okay, Legends makes three.  Oh, and Shadow liquidating... four.

Still, it is just one world-class corps.  And with Spirit and Cascades returning in 2023, we are still +1, right?

Not to be pedantic, but I'd consider SCVC at the same level as a lot of world class corps. They usually sit around 17th-18th when everything shakes out, and had they not been under the SCV umbrella a corps of similar size and scope would have moved up years ago. I'd consider losing both SCV and SCVC equivalent to losing two world class corps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

10 hours ago, drumcorpsfever said:

Exactly part of the problem. The NFL is a similar non-profit that acts as the executive body for the 32 teams  it protects the “shield”. This is exactly what DCI should be doing to protect its member corps. DCI can, and should, do a better job of this. 

Yes - and Goodell is empowered by the owners to make decisions and deal w/ #### so the owners don’t have to.  

31 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

My corps' history proves that this is easier said that done, for us at least. Haven't pinpointed what makes us special in this case though. I still think we never really recovered from GR's passing, but that's none of my business. Maybe we're just haunted?

I don't have to try it to know that my fellow alum aren't even tasty. I rode the OG buses during their last full tour in 2003. We're stinky. Working together at a safe distance is much better. 😉

Supposedly does not taste like chicken 😎

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Northbound on I-95 was backed up to Fredericksburg; Southbound to Baltimore.   Fortunately wife knew backroads to Springfield metro station where she picked up me & 2 colleagues.  

Back on topic - I think it would help to have an Executive Director that has power to make difficult decisions & the personality type that will make them. 

😱 on traffic. For 30 years I’ve avoided that area on Norfolk and NC trips. Started with 50 mile detour thru Leesburg and now about a 100 mile detour to Winchester. Just to avoid between I-270 and Freddiesburg (Fredericksburg).

On topic: DCI needs an executive who has nothing to do with any of the corps and (in a perfect world) was never connected to any corps. IMO you look up “conflict of interest “ and DCI BoD comes up as an example 

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

Empowered by a huge paycheck!  

He is compensated for dealing with things like deflate-gate, kneeling during National Anthem, etc that the owners don’t want to deal with.   Yes,  it money.  But he probably cares about the NFL  just as much as the DCI ED cares about Drum Corps.  But Drum Corps isn’t a multi-billion $ activity.