DCI DAMAGE CONTROL

Goodell is not responsible for each teams individual operations.  Should the New Jersey Jets go bankrupt, he may step in to help facilitate sale of that team, relocation of that team, or liquidation of assets.   When the Walla Walla Wallabees want to start a team.  He helps to facilitate their integration into the league.

However. his job is oversight of the league's football operations and officiating, as well as supervised league business functions, collective NFL Ventures, which oversees the league's business units, including media properties, marketing and sales, stadium development and strategic planning.  His world is contracts, operations of games, media agreements, commercial sales (sponsors and advertisement of sponsors) season operations, and the CBA with the NFLPA.  Its a lot of planning, cost control, contract negotiations, and assembling/coordinating the owners to agree on season operations, and schedules. 

Which, many of the same responsibilities are placed upon Dan Acheson and his small team.  With the added component of they have a few flagship events to operate during the season.

There is no circumstance where either Goodell, or DA operates a team, manages a team, or sticks their nose into their operations UNLESS there are certain grievances which affect the collective group.  (such as reports received from MAASIN, which, while they affect one specific group per circumstance, collectively can affect the entire group of member corps)  Collectively they vote and manage the season.  They do not interfere in each individual groups operations. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Yes - and Goodell is empowered by the owners to make decisions and deal w/ #### so the owners don’t have to.  

but the owners there are willing to cede some power. DCI....well.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

22 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Northbound on I-95 was backed up to Fredericksburg; Southbound to Baltimore.   Fortunately wife knew backroads to Springfield metro station where she picked up me & 2 colleagues.  

I've lived for over 20 years just a couple of miles from the Franconia-Springfield station. Small world.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PeterGibbons said:

I've lived for over 20 years just a couple of miles from the Franconia-Springfield station. Small world.

One of the many places my bro in laws family lived was just off the Franconia exit. They couldn’t figure out how I could find their place without getting directions from them (pre GPS days).

I knew because for work I stayed at a hotel right beside the exit to 95 (that was fun watching at rush hour 😱). Bad commute to Falls Church for work but drove around the area at night.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

One of the many places my bro in laws family lived was just off the Franconia exit. They couldn’t figure out how I could find their place without getting directions from them (pre GPS days).

I knew because for work I stayed at a hotel right beside the exit to 95 (that was fun watching at rush hour 😱). Bad commute to Falls Church for work but drove around the area at night.

A lot of us knew how to get to specific locations (this was the pre GPS on phone era), but few really understood big picture.

We had a guy at Pentagon who's daughter had come down w/ appendicitis; guy who was a local from birth got him out to Annandale area in 15 min.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PeterGibbons said:

I lived near Woodbridge station off the VRE when I lived in Dale City...

• Like 2

I am not in a position to understand details of SCV’s situation, most notably their financial situation. Why has BD seemed to be fine with world class staff and programming, while SCV—right down the road—has been on the veritable edge of insolvency? Does anyone know?

22 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

I am not in a position to understand details of SCV’s situation, most notably their financial situation. Why has BD seemed to be fine with world class staff and programming, while SCV—right down the road—has been on the veritable edge of insolvency? Does anyone know?

A few observations:

1.  BD was founded by a guy w/ a finance background (Jerry Seawright), perhaps he built a very strong foundation.   Also, BD’s senior management has been in place for years. 
2. SCV was founded by a band director (Gail Roger), perhaps a less strong foundation?   And SCV has had multiple directors in last few years; I seem to recall one had an arts management (but not Drum Corps) background & only lasted a few weeks or months.  In 2021/22, their latest new director came from a folding Corps (Shadow).  She lasted one season.  In hindsight, these management oscillations couldn’t have helped.

This said, without seeing the actual books of both organizations we won’t know.  

Edited by IllianaLancerContra

33 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Both corps have benefitted from large and long-term charitable gaming operations.  Blue Devils appear to have made more of an effort to pursue other revenue sources, while SCV lacks such diversification.

Meanwhile, too much diversification (i.e. turnover) in leadership lately.

• Like 1