Could DCI? Should DCI?

29 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

I have to believe that one hand doesn't know what the other hand is doing.

That camp time is disconcerting, but calling something fraud is very pointed and borderline slanderous.

You do you, buddy, but it came across as over the top. I guess I appreciate your frustration, so I'm sorry if I came across strongly, but when I read that comment, I was just like "what? That's pretty out there". Maybe I'm watching too much "Better Call Saul" these past few days.

IF... and that's a big IF... SCV admin knowingly charged people $50 to audition for a corps when they knew they would not be participating in DCI at all in 2023, that is fraud.  Petty larceny even.  Charging people to try out for a unit that won't exist in less than 24 hours?  That's the kind of stuff that gets you blackballed in lots of non-profit circles.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

I have to believe that one hand doesn't know what the other hand is doing.

One would think that there was an individual (or group of individuals) at some level that both hands work for.  And I doubt the audition camps nor the decision to go inactive was something the upper level didn’t see coming.  In hindsight, it would have been better if they had gone inactive before any 2023 camps.  

• Like 2

Paging Mr. Holland.

As someone not involved in the NYC music scene, I don't know if professional actors or musicians are required to pay to audition, but for sake of argument-

An off-Broadway troupe announces a musical. Auditions are scheduled at $50 a pop, people show up and try out.

The next day, the troupe announces sorry, we've decided for financial reasons the planned production is off.

What recourse would the actors and musicians have, and what repercussions would there be for the people that called off the musical one day after accepting cash for auditions?

11 minutes ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

IF... and that's a big IF... SCV admin knowingly charged people $50 to audition for a corps when they knew they would not be participating in DCI at all in 2023, that is fraud.  Petty larceny even.  Charging people to try out for a unit that won't exist in less than 24 hours?  That's the kind of stuff that gets you blackballed in lots of non-profit circles.

I don't disagree.  There are only two explanations....outright theft by deception or sheer incompetence.   The more light that is shed on the SCV situation the more inexcusable this whole thing becomes.   The rumor is that kids are getting refunded their fees....but did any kids fly there? If so, their airline tickets are not coming back.

Also, I for one have about had it with some people (especially on the drum corps history sites) painting every corps with the same brush, as well as airing their grievances over the evolution of the activity as the reason why SCV failed do spectacularly.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wolfgang said:

Pondering several DCI/financial issues-

Back during the financial crisis of 2008, one term in the news a lot was "stress test," meaning (I think) the Fed would audit or look at the financial status of banks to verify if they were solvent.

Should DCI do something like this with corps? Even if they should, could they? Who would be the best entity to do this? If external, would it be cost prohibitive?

What metrics would be used? How much reserves should a corps be required to have to participate in DCI? 

...and there would be other considerations that may arise. For example, in rare occassions when non-US corps come like Beatrix (or Kidsgrove who were supposed to come in 2020), how should/could DCI handle that?

It would be smart to proactively do this since they only consider finances to get into world class.

but that would cost money that wouldn’t go to the corps 

2 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

If DCI were to do some sort of stress test, I question as to whether they (both front office & BoD) have the backbone to tell a top 18 or top 12 or top 6 Corps they won’t be allowed to tour the following season?

Another thing to consider is when the stress test will occur- ideally before fall/winter camps begin.  So it would need to happen Sept-Oct every year. And the logistics of going over the books of ~30 Corps in an 8 week period, plus writing the reports, and going through the decision process w/ BoD will require effort.  We used to have a saying in Pentagon- we want something fast, accurate, and inexpensive.   The problem is, you can have only 2 of these.  If it is fast and accurate, then it won’t be inexpensive.  If it is fast and inexpensive, then it won’t be accurate.  And so on. 

They told Troopers didn’t they? Also laid some ground rules down when Phantom had their issue as well as many times for cadets 

2 minutes ago, phd-student-TTU said:

This would all depend on what you could find during discovery

I've been dealing with auditors for 25 years and I can say this without any reservation... if SCV were caught hiding pertinent information during an audit, the auditors would recommend they lose their non-profit status immediately.  That would result in the very quick/painful/visible death of SCV.

• Thanks 1

Most State Departments of Education require all public school systems under their authority to maintain a stated amount of operating expenses (our state requires 2 months) based on their budgets approved by their local BOE.  By law, failure to comply will result in the State Department taking control of the school system.  

I guess the corps directors could vote for DCI to establish something similar requiring more control & creating a standard in their finances.  But then again, DCI probably wouldn't have the funds to 'bail out' a corps.org & this method may not work with a non-profit?  

Just thinking out loud... 🤔     

Edited by keystone3ply
cx