I was the Board Treasure for SCV for 6 years

Back to the 990... specifically page 28, Part X, number 5: "Refunds due to members" is $75k. What's that about? Remembering this is the 2021 filing... so it can't be from this off season's audition fee refunds. Is this line item or amount common? I get that this is a drop in the bucket, I'm just curious. Paging @Richard Lesher.

Alternatively,  I would also think you could speak to any possible 2016 settlements since you helped with the dirty work of cleaning up after JF. (Not that I expect you to speak publicly of such convoluted matters... but his shady transition from Cavies to SCV is public knowledge at this point. This is another thing I have receipts for.) My limited interactions with him were a big part of why I left and didn't consider returning to Vanguard in any capacity for over a decade. I missed our championship and alumni corps because of the awful taste the experience left in my mouth, metaphorically speaking.

The board shouldn't have allowed that fox into our house in the first place. But they did, and at least one of them is still on the board I believe. Am I allowed to question their historical and current capacity to vet leadership candidates yet?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Back to the 990... specifically page 28, Part X, number 5: "Refunds due to members" is $75k. What's that about? Remembering this is the 2021 filing... so it can't be from this off season's audition fee refunds. Is this line item or amount common? I get that this is a drop in the bucket, I'm just curious. Paging @Richard Lesher.

Just a guess from an outsider.........

When Covid cancelled the 2020 season, many corps allowed members to apply those fees, already paid, to the 2021 season. I'm guessing SCV did the same.

When Vanguard didn't come out in 2021 refunds might have been issued?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Barneveld said:

Just a guess from an outsider.........

When Covid cancelled the 2020 season, many corps allowed members to apply those fees, already paid, to the 2021 season. I'm guessing SCV did the same.

When Vanguard didn't come out in 2021 refunds might have been issued?

They did come up with a sort of production, they just didn't go to Indy. Not sure if members were charged to be a part of it.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, contraguard05 said:

They did come up with a sort of production, they just didn't go to Indy. Not sure if members were charged to be a part of it.

I forgot about that. Maybe because a full "typical tour" wasn't done, a partial refund was issued?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Forgive me. Given the wild world we live in, I guess I momentarily, but blissfully, forgot about the pandemic... of all things. Thanks @contraguard05and @Barneveld. 😞I'm usually better about affording some grace to VMAPA for decisions made during that time.

You're welcome! No worries, I also have the occasional bout of CRS (Can't Remember Sh..) 🤣

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Some vendors, like food vendors for example, stopped taking credit this season for the first time. They demanded full payment or no food delivery. Could be part of it.

If they are feeding 200 people that comes to $2,550 per person.  That could explain some of it but if the $5.1M is true, someone needs to explain how that happened 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

If they are feeding 200 people that comes to $2,550 per person.  That could explain some of it but if the $5.1M is true, someone needs to explain how that happened 

Don't forget SCVC. ❤️🩹💚They had to house and feed them more this year then they planned. 85% weren't from south bay and thus couldn't share housing. This is just part of why some of us harp on local recruiting.

Oh explanations. I give them credit for what they have shared already and don't expect them to muster much more. Like their decisions or not, I imagine they're burning all the candles at all the ends. There are physical limits to what they can manage right now.

10 hours ago, fighterkit said:

I also heard from a 2022 MM that they spent 5.1 mill on the A corps mid season. 

3 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

How on Earth could $5,100,000 be spent mid-season?   

I may have met fighterkit once, so I can't say that I really know them. And I certainly don't speak for them.

My interpretation of their comment is that at mid-season they had a conversation with an SCV mm and heard that Vanguard was spending 5.1 million on the A corps for the entire 2022 season (not just to the mid-season point).

In my opinion, it's the only possible thing that makes sense.

Edited by Barneveld
  • Like 1