I was the Board Treasure for SCV for 6 years

12 hours ago, Richard Lesher said:

Oh I understand how forums likes these work. I have to accept a degree of back and forth. That's the point. The major cause for that is unknowns from either point of view, and we are all without 2022 operating data. 

So what is very clear is SCV at the start of 2022 was in overwhelmingly the strongest economic position of all DCI member organizations and then went under at the end of it where no others, certainly not among their peer size corps did either. 

I want folks to call me out, I want folks to dig into the data and 990s and say I am full of it. I am being explicit for that very reason. They don't, not on any point of substance. Not yet anyway. 

I've about exhausted topics where I can pull my arguments from public information, and once I go beyond that then it turns into speculation (informed or otherwise) and topics of discussion where all parties viewing the conversation cannot validate the high points for themselves. 

SCV right now is on the rampage to shut down things being discusses that present the organization in a negative light, and specifically critical of the organizations leadership and management. So while they are censoring my factual and accurate discussion using 990 data they themselves made public on their website that still leaves our conversations around this topic of actual 2022 activity unknown. 

That's what this forum is for, just what happened in the days of the 2022 season. I don't know. I hear things, but I can't share it. 

What is public, or out in the open at least is that the entire Visual Staff was either fired or resigned in protest in the Spring of 2022. 

What was that about?

i believe one person was fired in the spring suddenly, which created some angst within the family

• Like 1

8 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

IIRC one individual was fired / let go & rest of visual staff resigned in protest.  I don’t recall if a reason for the firing was posted on DCP. 

This is all conjecture, but I have heard from some friends that marched under the VCH that he can be super abrasive at times and mean to members and would not be surprised if that was the reason for his departure. But I also know someone that marched under him at SCV a few years ago, less recently than the abrasive comments, that he was fine and just strict.

I also heard from a 2022 MM that they spent 5.1 mill on the A corps mid season. 

No clue how true both claims are, but just things Ive heard

16 hours ago, craiga said:

For more than 20 years, during the lean times of the 80s into the 90s, the entire Boston staff taught without pay. Mostly BAC alums, our mission was to keep the corps alive no matter what. We actually had no money. At all. No hall, no trucks, no sponsors. But we never took a season off. The kids who were marching then are running Boston now. What will SCV do?

I don't want SCV to go away - not for one season, not permanently.

But if the implication here is that the answer to this crisis is "the staff should work for free," then SCV should just go away. People shouldn't be expected to work for free. 

If the staff budget has become too inflated (note: it sounds like this isn't the driver of financial woes, but let's assume it is), then restructure the staff with greener folks that haven't reached a pay status. But pay them. 

A conversation about design budgets is warranted. But, in my mind, a conversation about expecting designers and staff to work for free is not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kdaddy said:

A conversation about design budgets is warranted. But, in my mind, a conversation about expecting designers and staff to work for free is not.

Maybe.. but maybe not. It is now almost February. In approx 7 months ( Sept. ) Corps will be setting up audition dates for Fall, early 2024. Thats less than 12 months away now. Where is SCV getting their money over the next 6 months to both pay off their current debt, including salaries for 2023, then hire presumably paid staff for 2024, pay current leases, etc  but with no marcher fees, no appearance fees currently coming in ?  Unless some heavy duty " work for free " takes place to keep the Corps alive for 2024, and it happens in like.... tomorrow morning... then its possible that SCV will no longer be in any " conversation ", unless its in the past tense.  Thats how important the conversation to consider " working for free " should be on the table now, imo. This should not be dismissed until there is an viable and realistic answer as to where the money is going to come from over the next 6 months. Without a proper solution to that, its likely they'll be no staff in 2024 at SCV... paid or otherwise. Is SCV leasing out their transportation vehicles for rentals to other Corps. marching bands at the moment ? They are not sitting out in Calif, collecting dust/ cobwebs, etc. lets all hope. There are lots of things that can be done to not let this Corps die, imo... yes, including working for free if its thats what it might take to get the Corps thru this challenging time.

Edited by Boss Anova
  • Like 1

I taught Impulse in 2014 for free (and have done other DCs for free as well because I loved it) ) and would do the same for SCV if it came up. Unfortunately I’m a dino (gasp!) who marched only two years (double gasp!) under Gail (triple gasp, catch me as I faint!), which renders my decades of experience moot to those who like to polish their year patches. 

My accurate snark aside, many alums have gone on to great careers in design, professional performance, higher education, etc. Like a trombone player that still wears a pager, the optimist inside me hopes that a cadre of creative alumni will assemble and donate their combined talent. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, fighterkit said:

I also heard from a 2022 MM that they spent 5.1 mill on the A corps mid season. 

No clue how true both claims are, but just things Ive heard

How on Earth could $5,100,000 be spent mid-season?   

Edited by IllianaLancerContra

11 hours ago, dcifanforlife said:

VMPA entered into these employment contracts willing in order to attract talent to live in an expensive area of the country. Now that they have had to buy out these contracts it is not the fault of those that received  them.  Have all of the settlements been made?   Probably not.  A contact is a contract that needs to be honored. Just another example of poor decision making over an extended period of time.

I should have been more clear. The settlements this person is referring to are related to the departures following 2016.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, TRacer said:

I taught Impulse in 2014 for free (and have done other DCs for free as well because I loved it) ) and would do the same for SCV if it came up.

I would consider it as well, if I were able to establish mutual trust with leadership.

Unfortunately I’m a dino (gasp!)

Not sure if I've reached this status yet. Will someone let me know?

who marched only two years (double gasp!)

Same.

under Gail (triple gasp, catch me as I faint!),

Lol as long as you don't bring his darker side with you this is moot to me. 🙂

which renders my decades of experience moot to those who like to polish their year patches. 

These alum are the worst. I really wish they had never run the show and let patch culture get so nasty. Patches are just ego in physical form.

My accurate snark aside, many alums have gone on to great careers in design, professional performance, higher education, etc. Like a trombone player that still wears a pager, the optimist inside me hopes that a cadre of creative alumni will assemble and donate their combined talent. 

I like fantasizing about a time when I could teach by your side and alongside other skilled, compassionate alum who know how to guide members without strictness or yelling. Being taught by this kind of alum made my experience worthwhile at Vanguard.

In this fantasy, I'd unwaiveringly guarantee a happy colorguard who moves more safely and maturely than any other group out there. No more injured members hobbling behind the rest on crutches on the way to warmup. They'd get the best movement training available in the activity. I have qualifications and achievements to back up that guarantee.

Ah, this is quite pleasant fantasy.