I was the Board Treasure for SCV for 6 years

On 1/18/2023 at 5:45 AM, craiga said:

The kids who were marching then are running Boston now. 

And their determination to win DCI and show all the skeptic's during the corps lean times that "we're still here", is what drives the organization.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Barneveld said:

I may have met fighterkit once, so I can't say that I really know them. And I certainly don't speak for them.

My interpretation of their comment is that at mid-season they had a conversation with an SCV mm and heard that Vanguard was spending 5.1 million on the A corps for the entire 2022 season (not just to the mid-season point).

In my opinion, it's the only possible thing that makes sense.

Perhaps.  
But things not adding up and/or making sense is part of the problem.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Perhaps.  
But things not adding up and/or making sense is part of the problem.  

You would have to look at each line item of expenditures.  Based on just SCV A corps.

Transportation -  equipment leased (busses, trucks)

equipment purchased (trucks, trailers, atv’s, etc.) 

Fuel for vehicles owned/leased (including busses)

Food (for 225 people/day when touring)

Housing (for tour, camps)

Show equipment and accessories (instruments, props, electronics, flags, rifles, sabers, uniforms, cleanings, maintenance, carts,  scaffolds)

instructor salaries (designers, caption managers, consultants, techs)

admin salaries (office, corps mgmt, non-instructional corps personnel like doctor, therapists, drivers)

owned/leased facilities

insurance (personnel and vehicles, liability)

business consulting

general overhead (office management, copyrights, legal fees, travel expenses for staff for camps, tour)

Would you get all these things for $5.1m?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

You would have to look at each line item of expenditures.  Based on just SCV A corps.

Transportation -  equipment leased (busses, trucks)

equipment purchased (trucks, trailers, atv’s, etc.) 

Fuel for vehicles owned/leased (including busses)

Food (for 225 people/day when touring)

Housing (for tour, camps)

Show equipment and accessories (instruments, props, electronics, flags, rifles, sabers, uniforms, cleanings, maintenance, carts,  scaffolds)

instructor salaries (designers, caption managers, consultants, techs)

admin salaries (office, corps mgmt, non-instructional corps personnel like doctor, therapists, drivers)

owned/leased facilities

insurance (personnel and vehicles, liability)

business consulting

general overhead (office management, copyrights, legal fees, travel expenses for staff for camps, tour)

Would you get all these things for $5.1m?

Maybe 

The way I read it, which may be incorrect, was that the $5.1M was an unanticipated expense.    Or that some of it was unanticipated.   I totally get that fuel cost more than they had budgeted for everyone.    

3 hours ago, Barneveld said:

I may have met fighterkit once, so I can't say that I really know them. And I certainly don't speak for them.

My interpretation of their comment is that at mid-season they had a conversation with an SCV mm and heard that Vanguard was spending 5.1 million on the A corps for the entire 2022 season (not just to the mid-season point).

In my opinion, it's the only possible thing that makes sense.

The conversation was a couple of days ago, but I never got clarification or any elaboration so I take it with a grain of salt, but I do trust them

Though this could be a fact of telephone where it got distorted to him and he's repeating it with some missing context

15 hours ago, fighterkit said:

I also heard from a 2022 MM that they spent 5.1 mill on the A corps mid season. 

Marching members are usually the least reliable sources of info when it comes to their organization's financial operations, since no management team or Board shares that info with the kids. No drum corps has ever spent close to that much on a season.

27 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

Marching members are usually the least reliable sources of info when it comes to their organization's financial operations, since no management team or Board shares that info with the kids. No drum corps has ever spent close to that much on a season.

I can agree with this statement, but there are certainly some MM's that are more reliable than others. During the season I could probably have named what we spent each week and what we got in revenue each week from souvies simply because I was close to admin and those guys, but its been a while and it was never that important to me.

On one hand, the rumors I heard about SCV this summer I wouldnt be surprised. On the other hand. That is a lot of money to drop so it seems far fetched

21 hours ago, Boss Anova said:

Maybe.. but maybe not. It is now almost February. In approx 7 months ( Sept. ) Corps will be setting up audition dates for Fall, early 2024. Thats less than 12 months away now. Where is SCV getting their money over the next 6 months to both pay off their current debt, including salaries for 2023, then hire presumably paid staff for 2024, pay current leases, etc  but with no marcher fees, no appearance fees currently coming in ?  Unless some heavy duty " work for free " takes place to keep the Corps alive for 2024, and it happens in like.... tomorrow morning... then its possible that SCV will no longer be in any " conversation ", unless its in the past tense.  Thats how important the conversation to consider " working for free " should be on the table now, imo. This should not be dismissed until there is an viable and realistic answer as to where the money is going to come from over the next 6 months. Without a proper solution to that, its likely they'll be no staff in 2024 at SCV... paid or otherwise. Is SCV leasing out their transportation vehicles for rentals to other Corps. marching bands at the moment ? They are not sitting out in Calif, collecting dust/ cobwebs, etc. lets all hope. There are lots of things that can be done to not let this Corps die, imo... yes, including working for free if its thats what it might take to get the Corps thru this challenging time.

BINGO.

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Bingo - the cause of and solution to all of SCV’s problems.

($0.02 to Homer Simpson)

It’s the only cure they have discussed yet it’s the only target of blame for what got them here

• Like 4