I was the Board Treasure for SCV for 6 years

19 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

The way I read it, which may be incorrect, was that the $5.1M was an unanticipated expense.    Or that some of it was unanticipated.   I totally get that fuel cost more than they had budgeted for everyone.    

Maybe they bought all their fuel at California prices.

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Maybe they bought all their fuel at California prices.

Well, when they reform will they be required to use all EV vehicles? 😛

Is any kind of an audit being done on SCV’s books?  For last year and previous years?  The term of “unanticipated” costs last year has been used.  What costs,  pray tell, could possibly be “unanticipated”? Unanticipated would infer poor contracts, poor purchase negotiations, legal costs for whatever (settlement?).  There should be spending visibility to a large group of people who would be signing off on all expenditures, especially big ticket items like salaries, equipment, tour needs.

Other corps knowing this info may help them avoid pitfalls or prepare budgets to not fall into the same situation.

Edited by LabMaster
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

Is any kind of an audit being done on SCV’s books?  For last year and previous years?  The term of “unanticipated” costs last year has been used.  What costs,  pray tell, could possibly be “unanticipated”? Unanticipated would infer poor contracts, poor purchase negotiations, legal costs for whatever (settlement?).  There should be spending visibility to a large group of people who would be signing off on all expenditures, especially big ticket items like salaries, equipment, tour needs.

Other corps knowing this info may help them avoid pitfalls or prepare budgets to not fall into the same situation.

I use Charity Navigator to check up on non-profits.  According to their records, VMAPA has never had an audit done.  They scored 80/80 pts on accountability and finance, but the missing 20 points was no record of an audit.  If you have total revenue over $1 million, you are expected to conduct annual audits.  Quite a few drum corps NP's don't conduct audits as it turns out... which may change based on what happens in Santa Clara.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

8 minutes ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

I use Charity Navigator to check up on non-profits.  According to their records, VMAPA has never had an audit done.  They scored 80/80 pts on accountability and finance, but the missing 20 points was no record of an audit.  If you have total revenue over $1 million, you are expected to conduct annual audits.  Quite a few drum corps NP's don't conduct audits as it turns out... which may change based on what happens in Santa Clara.

Looking over my notes from the alum meeting...

They stated that they conduct a yearly third party audit, which they don't publish.

We survived bingo theft that was happening when I marched, y'all. I want to think that Richard dotted his I's and crossed his T's when he implemented a system that proved successful after that. Nothing they've done indicates to me that they dropped foundational fiscal responsibilities somewhere down the line.

The man behind the curtain has a revolving door of leadership that has plagued him for a long time, dems facts at this point. And that's not even reflecting on current leadership. On a basic level, that means it's monumentally difficult to maintain key institutional knowledge. Who is accountable for this revolving door legacy?

Silver lining is that it puts my fellow alums' performance achievements in a whole new light... to me at least. Who bears the weight of such a legacy? The members... and yet, they perform so beautifully that they bring me to tears.

There are certain, unique np mechanisms that exacerbate issues like such revolving doors.  Many nps are not governed by np career professionals, but often by a board of traditionally-successful professionals from the for-profit sector, who either can afford the free time, or overwork themselves for their roles. This can result in bland mission statements at best, or fraud and abuse at worst. There's plenty of evidence of this throughout the np sector... not even including youth arts education. Add to that low pay for staff, when compared to other industries, and that many board members have other jobs and probably personal lives, or something. It's a clunky system, some would argue, by design.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

They scored 80/80 pts on accountability and finance, but the missing 20 points . . . . 

I'm not familiar w/ Charity Navigator, so I don't know their system. But if you score 80 out of a possible 80, that would mean there are zero "missing" points, no? 80 out of 80 = 100%