Drum corps percussion history question

10 hours ago, MikeN said:

Kind of funny in a "what goes around" sense, single tenors have made a comeback, looks like primarily in some corners of BOA and scholastic WGI.

Mike

ah yes flubs. often used for training to get hands and feet working together, sometimes for demand, often for color and emphasis. used them myself 15 years ago

7 hours ago, MikeD said:

In the 60’s I recall corps having a large bass for the real deep sound, and maybe a smaller one. They were not tuned in the sense of what happened in the 70’s.

Also small and wider rudi basses were popular. Blessed Sac’s duo in the late 60’s were amazing players. They actually did tune those to create different pitches in 69 for one of their drum solos.

Flat basses were created to provide a timpani style sound. Some corps just attached two standard basses together and left off the bottom heads to get a more resonant sound. I played one of those in  Garden State Circuit corps in 69.

Manufacturers built a variety as well with 2 or 3 drums. St Lucy’s from Newark attached metal rings to theirs one year. Called them the “garbage cans”, as that is what they looked like.

The addition of marching timps replaced those.

Truly tonal bass drums took off in the 70’s. Before that “regular” straight basses did not march sideways.

yeah it was late 70's when i remember basses truly starting to become what is here now.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, craiga said:

Boston Crusaders double bass drum in 1967, played (and carried by) Anthony Smith, future BAC Visual Designer, Corps Director, DCI/DCA/WGI judge, and long time consultant for BD.  Boss Annova can probably post a pic of this!

I'll defer to others on this, as when it comes to percussion I barely know the difference between a paradiddle and a parakeet... lol.   I do know however that The Boston Crusaders were involved in the 1960's with some new and innovative things being tried out in the Percussion realm in Drum Corps world back then. Gerry Shellmer was the Crusaders Drum Instructor at the time and he was more than willing to experiment and try out new things, configurations, sounds ,etc and what not. 

Some of Gerry Shellmer's contributions to Percussion realm in Drum Corps ( utilized at Boston ) are mentioned in this brief intro from his HOF Induction in 1988 :

https://www.dci.org/static/gerry-shellmer-dci-hall-of-fame

Edited by Boss Anova

20 hours ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

Ah yeah, I'd forgotten about the "rudimental" bass vs the others. That was the kid in the corps who probably had the talent to play snare, but some instructor talked him into taking one for the team and playing bass.

That was me in 1971 thanks to George Tuthill and the thrill of a great tour schedule.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

yeah it was late 70's when i remember basses truly starting to become what is here now.

SoA had some bass drum runs in 79 or 80 that would still be effective today.  Bayonne was also a leader.  I suppose that it is no accident that Tom Float & Dennis DeLucia (respectively) were the caption heads. 

1 hour ago, denverjohn said:

That was me in 1971 thanks to George Tuthill and the thrill of a great tour schedule.

Yes, and if I recall, you provided a good deal of the "cannon blasts" required for that Christmas Eve/ Battle of Trenton production. George Tuttle was Garfield's Jerry Shellmer. Both of those cats were 'way ahead of the curve.

1 hour ago, ironlips said:

Yes, and if I recall, you provided a good deal of the "cannon blasts" required for that Christmas Eve/ Battle of Trenton production. George Tuttle was Garfield's Jerry Shellmer. Both of those cats were 'way ahead of the curve.

Was Garfield marching cutaway quads & snares on carriers in 1971?

3 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

That picture can't be from 1971  

It's not, but that is good audio from that year, particularly for percussion. Here's an actual video clip of some show segments from '71. Denver John can be seen and heard herein:

Edited by ironlips
  • Like 2