Vanguard CEO resigns

2 hours ago, TRacer said:

I saw the fundraising appeal and “unjoined” the various alum pages as the discourse in my mind has cemented why many alums (including “royalty”) are no longer involved and/or their drum corps kids marched elsewhere. I am also reminded of my own unpleasant age out year, the “less-than-glowing” review my son gave of the org after spending 2016-2018 there, and I’ve been second-guessing whether I should have encouraged him so hard to head north after his 2015 season. 

I'm just sorry to read about your and your son's experiences. It never should have been that way.

My final three interactions with the org as a young person in 05, 06, and 08 were also quite unpleasant. You'd think I could take a hint.......

Ultimately, how can we learn from the past if we refuse to accept that something(s?) unpleasant happened... or seemingly refuse to show respect to, and care for those who brought it up in good faith? I'm gathering that the tendency across the industry is for admin to listen to stories like yours and mine as few times as possible just to say they did, then improve their policies and procedures on their own, and never acknowledge us again. I'm still waiting to hear back from two higher placing corps when they assured me they would do so in Dec/Jan, for example.

This should all be Golden Rule-level stuff. The only corps I've interacted with that's come close to getting it right is SoA. On the other end of things, Vanguard hasn't updated its whistleblower policy since your son marched.

Edited by scheherazadesghost

1 hour ago, scheherazadesghost said:

I'm just sorry to read about your and your son's experiences. It never should have been that way.

My final three interactions with the org as a young person in 05, 06, and 08 were also quite unpleasant. You'd think I could take a hint.......

Ultimately, how can we learn from the past if we refuse to accept that something(s?) unpleasant happened... or seemingly refuse to show respect to, and care for those who brought it up in good faith? I'm gathering that the tendency across the industry is for admin to listen to stories like yours and mine as few times as possible just to say they did, then improve their policies and procedures on their own, and never acknowledge us again. I'm still waiting to hear back from two higher placing corps when they assured me they would do so in Dec/Jan, for example.

This should all be Golden Rule-level stuff. The only corps I've interacted with that's come close to getting it right is SoA. On the other end of things, Vanguard hasn't updated its whistleblower policy since your son marched.

I gotta ask.....Sorry......If it was so bad I can understand maybe giving it another shot( Maybe ) but a 3rd? Not judging but wondering what was it that brought you back, again , again and again, Something had to be good. Just curious, believe me not judging at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

I gotta ask.....Sorry......If it was so bad I can understand maybe giving it another shot( Maybe ) but a 3rd? Not judging but wondering what was it that brought you back, again , again and again, Something had to be good. Just curious, believe me not judging at all.

NP. 👍🏽

Because I loved it. And still do.

Because my HS teacher was a very good educator and Cavie champion who designed many of our shows after SCV's: Red Poppies, Carmen, RCM, Tenderland. I loved SCV before I'd even heard of them. And I became an educator and professional dancer as a direct result of my time with them.

And because I care a lot about the alum. Even when they disagree.

58 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

NP. 👍🏽

Because I loved it. And still do.

Because my HS teacher was a very good educator and Cavie champion who designed many of our shows after SCV's: Red Poppies, Carmen, RCM, Tenderland. I loved SCV before I'd even heard of them. And I became an educator and professional dancer as a direct result of my time with them.

And because I care a lot about the alum. Even when they disagree.

Thanks. So sorry but I had to ask and just interacting from time to time with you I had to believe there was maybe more good than bad that kept you there. Now I'm not saying it washes over any bad just that the SCV many of us loved and admired over the years was not a myth. Not perfect, flawed for sure, hard to live up to ones own reputation ( happens in most things )Maybe bad choices and the tarnishing by some individuals floating in and out. Did you march any other years other than those which weren't so good for you?

Thanks again. By the way, the Red Poppy was one of my favorite SCV shows along with many others including what I think was the very underrated Devils staircase 2011

Edited by GUARDLING

48 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Thanks. So sorry but I had to ask and just interacting from time to time with you I had to believe there was maybe more good than bad that kept you there. Now I'm not saying it washes over any bad just that the SCV many of us loved and admired over the years was not a myth.

It's def not a myth. It's just not one sided either.

Not perfect, flawed for sure, hard to live up to ones own reputation ( happens in most things )Maybe bad choices and the tarnishing by some individuals floating in and out. Did you march any other years other than those which weren't so good for you?

Thanks again. By the way, the Red Poppy was one of my favorite SCV shows along with many others including what I think was the very underrated Devils staircase 2011

💖 Love this and thank you too. Just imagine my surprise putting all this together in the last year.

18 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

It's def not a myth. It's just not one sided either.

💖 Love this and thank you too. Just imagine my surprise putting all this together in the last year.

2003 another fav or mine, I remember seeing them the 1st time and the color from the guard..LOVED it! Add a few more things and I still think that guard book would stand up today. JMO😁

BTW..nothing IMO is ever 1 sided and peoples experiences can be very personal.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

I cautioned them against posting about their fundraiser on DCP. Comments like those you mentioned on other social media, as well as those in this thread are good indicators of why.

it's drum corps. people will ##### no matter what.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

well it took a #### ton of abuse for SoA to get it right because trust me, when their #### storm broke, their social media page made political stuff on twitter look tame

• Like 4

12 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

2003 another fav or mine, I remember seeing them the 1st time and the color from the guard..LOVED it! Add a few more things and I still think that guard book would stand up today. JMO😁

The combo of Lagola, Sage, and James made that design pretty gentle on the eyes. It's a tough ask to build a color scheme around those Christmas uniforms but they knocked it outta the park. James's choreography definitely stands the test of time and was a big reason why I became a professional dancer.

12 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

BTW..nothing IMO is ever 1 sided and peoples experiences can be very personal.

Yes, heard.

9 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

well it took a #### ton of abuse for SoA to get it right because trust me, when their #### storm broke, their social media page made political stuff on twitter look tame

Sometimes I like to bring an umbrella to the #### storm rather than more laxatives. I never stopped anyone from criticizing anything (except me personally), fundraiser included. Not pointing out a storm isn't the same as stopping others from commenting on it. The fundraiser is very public so anyone could've brought it up.

Funny, I'm kinda into expressing critical views, even forcefully if needed. But I can't in good faith facilitate every storm cause that would make me a troll... and more importantly, it would degrade the trust of other alum that I've so painstakingly nurtured.

So I have to prioritize specific storms. 🤷🏽‍♀️

2 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

The combo of Lagola, Sage, and James made that design pretty gentle on the eyes. It's a tough ask to build a color scheme around those Christmas uniforms but they knocked it outta the park. James's choreography definitely stands the test of time and was a big reason why I became a professional dancer.

Yes, heard.

Sometimes I like to bring an umbrella to the #### storm rather than more laxatives. I never stopped anyone from criticizing anything (except me personally), fundraiser included. Not pointing out a storm isn't the same as stopping others from commenting on it. The fundraiser is very public so anyone could've brought it up.

Funny, I'm kinda into expressing critical views, even forcefully if needed. But I can't in good faith facilitate every storm cause that would make me a troll... and more importantly, it would degrade the trust of other alum that I've so painstakingly nurtured.

So I have to prioritize specific storms. 🤷🏽‍♀️

“Bring a laxative to a ####-storm” is a phrase I am going to use in the future.  

Thank you 

• Haha 2