Hats, Helmets, Vaquero, Aussies or Whatever Need to Come Back

20 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

don't forget high mark time, nationwide tours on school busses, eating McDonalds every day...

School busses notwithstanding, you say it like it was a bad thing.  I thought it was awesome. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, rmurrey74 said:

I don’t miss this look at all. Love seeing the performers perform.   What corps is this and are they struggling to hold m their horns or just holding them different ways person to person? 

This would be a picture of the incomparable Guardsmen from Schaumburg, IL. Can’t address the horn angles but the pic looks like ‘77 or ‘78 vintage. Ms. Terri could you confirm what year this photo was taken?

57 minutes ago, Sutasaurus said:

This would be a picture of the incomparable Guardsmen from Schaumburg, IL. Can’t address the horn angles but the pic looks like ‘77 or ‘78 vintage. Ms. Terri could you confirm what year this photo was taken?

1978. I struggle to describe what it was like wearing that thing. I now have a lifelong aversion to hats.

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, Sutasaurus said:

77 we wore those helmets with the horsehair coming out of the top. They shifted on your head so bad. The old helmets from 76 and earlier were much better. 

Each generation is entitled to its own style. I don't have to like it. It is the way things work. 

What upsets me is when corps don't commit to the new look. It's your style. Own it. Don't wear "old" uniforms at retreat to pander to us. Don't wear pajama versions of the old uniform as if they're the real thing. Choose your identity - whatever that is - and have the courage of your convictions. 

Edited by Sh0uldN0t

13 hours ago, DFA1970 said:

This is the "old folks" rants. "When I marched....."

It was an opinion and this is a discussion forum.  Those of us of a particular age, any age really, don't have monolithic thought.  We all like/love the activity (I think) or we wouldn't be here. 

• Like 1

On 4/6/2023 at 12:15 AM, Land_Surfer said:

Nothing wrong with adding a little nostalgia / tradition.  Nation wide tours should be common.  

on school busses and eating McDonalds every day?

14 hours ago, DFA1970 said:

This is the "old folks" rants. "When I marched....."

when i marched, over my years, i wore a shako, aussie and helmet. i wish i could have worn nothing but my hair.

if it works for the show, who cares? 

11 hours ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

Now here's something we haven't had here in a while. At least a week or two. An old-fashioned dinos vs youngins smackdown. 🍿

i'm 53.....and i don't care if headgear is worn or not.

#### outliers

• Like 1