Per the California Attorney General Vanguard is operating illegally as a non profit

This is pretty heavy. For all those thinking this just a speed bump that SCV will be able to overcome; it's not. I've read that some think they should reorganize and regroup with their very successful Cadet corps and work their way back up; that might actually be for the best. However, from all the news that keeps surfacing from the A-Corps, if you will; the entire SCV organization might be in too deep of a hole to get out of. I hope for the best...but, man, there hasn't been any signs of things improving since the news broke of them sitting out the '23 season. 

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

Most recent post on their social media from yesterday includes one of two major fund raising campaigns.  Are these donations eligible for tax deduction? 

Anyone who's donated should reach out and ask about this.

Improperly using charity status hurts all nonprofits everywhere because it degrades public trust in the charity model.

But again, financials aside, alum are the real victims in this mess because recuperating from institutionalized bullying, harassment, medical neglect, overtraining, or worse from one's youth can take a lifetime. Everything else should take a back seat to that IMHO, especially in an industry that purports to be educational and enriching.

1 minute ago, corps8294 said:

I hope for the best...but, man, there hasn't been any signs of things improving since the news broke of them sitting out the '23 season. 

Some of us canaries have been singing for a while. This community, DCI, other corps, and other alum mostly refused to listen. I can list out the various channels I tried to leverage. They are numerous. They all failed.

So here we are.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

There are folks commenting on their social media (FB) that their debt has been paid off.  Not sure who to believe & the transparency of the organization to the public is leading to "situation farrago"...   (Not sure if that's the correct usage of farrago but it sounds cool.)  🤔

10 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Anyone who's donated should reach out and ask about this.

Improperly using charity status hurts all nonprofits everywhere because it degrades public trust in the charity model.

Thought I would ask before sending a donation.  I really want the return of SCV.  But it seems some alumni on their FB page are asking questions & reluctant to donate.  Again, no official response from the organization. (except donate) 🤷‍♂️ 

Edited by keystone3ply
cx

3 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

There are folks commenting on their social media (FB) that their debt has been paid off.  Not sure who to believe & the transparency of the organization to the public is leading to "situation farrago"...   (Not sure if that's the correct usage of farrago but it sounds cool.)  🤔

I have heard only a portion of the debt has been paid but it appears they have some serious,  very serious legal issues arising.  Supposedly they also have no interest in resurrecting through Open class.  World Class or nothing.  And now it seems like “nothing” is in the lead.  What a mess.  

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

Thought I would ask before sending a donation.  I really want the return of SCV.  But it seems some alumni on their FB page are asking questions & reluctant to donate.  Again, no official response from the organization. (except donate) 🤷‍♂️ 

According to Richard Lesher’s info,  they are not (legally cannot) to ask for or accept donations.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

According to Richard Lesher’s info,  they are not (legally cannot) to ask for or accept donations.

I guess they could convert to a "for profit" & still receive donations? Or purchase a $.99 lapel pin for $100 or so.  I donate to Walmart two to three times a week. 😁 

Edited by keystone3ply
cx