Per the California Attorney General Vanguard is operating illegally as a non profit

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

They probably do.  But you are forgetting that the degree to which DCI applies rules is inversely proportional to competitive rank.

Which leads to the question: is SCV still represented on DCI board since they are not coming out for 2023? For that matter how does DCI decide who is on the board?

35 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

What time of year should a corps have their “stuff” together for the next competitive season? Or what time should they START to have it together. SCV still can’t even find an executive. And don’t want to hear how rest of the staff should know how to handle things without a leader. Not being able to find one is a bad sign.

There were updates to some of this in the recent alum meeting. Perhaps another alum who's in less hot water with our peers will share those updates.

See posts saying it’s one thing to pay off the past debt but what will be done so this doesn’t happen again. No response to that. Also nothing seen on what is being done or an expected timeline on correcting the CA paperwork mess.

No update on timeline.

Listen, imagine raising 20k for a good cause, only to have that work roadblocked by fellow alum. At least, that's probably the perception. It's probably nonetheless frustrating to alum whose primary mode of engagement these days is fundraising.

Nevermind that the messengers for that news weren't the ones that fell behind on required compliance paperwork, and continued to solicit without communicating to their donors about that delinquent status, nor the ways they plan to correct it. Those messengers are worried about the handling of fundraising, as well as the safety of donations and personal data...

... because, professionally speaking, there are red flags. But the messengers are hell bent on destruction, right? We couldn't possibly have our peer-donors' best interest in mind, because we know the signs of safe donations and protected data. No way. Shoot the messengers and leave those actually responsible alone!

If there has been any movement it’s been very slow. Meanwhile four months from now the 2023 season will be over. What position will SCV be in four months from now?

A go/no go date exists. Another thing that perhaps some other alum will share. I get wrist slaps when I share out too much from a public meeting.

Do I want to see SCV fail.. NO! Have seen too many corps go under and activity is in bad enough shape without this corps going kaput. And how many other corps have behind the scenes crap that would hurt them if the truth would come out. THAT’S why I’m following this thread closely

Why do you think I restrict my commentary to my corps? What little poking around I've done in other groups has not been well met. Except for SoA.

Edited by scheherazadesghost
grammar
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Geneseo83Quads said:

Really surprised nobody has noticed this tidbit, which bears directly on the topic of this thread:

• “Fundraising - Currently paused. Being held up by filings and those are in process. Don't anticipate any issues with the completion of the filings. 
  • Turned off fundraising but can accept if people are willing to donate. 
  • 2021 is the only late RCT is backlogged. 2022 is not late.”

[RCT = California’s Registry of Charitable Trusts, the oversight body for nonprofits. If true, the above statements suggest the state webpages do not quite reflect current status. There’s no question the org got behind in its filings - the state’s letters online prove that - but it’s possible they began fixing it sooner than the state site currently shows]

[Getting current in CA also means getting current on audits, if revenue >$2 million. So unless they’re actively misleading people, they must have a plan there, which would be good news]

I did miss this. Thanks 

34 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

What time of year should a corps have their “stuff” together for the next competitive season? Or what time should they START to have it together. SCV still can’t even find an executive. And don’t want to hear how rest of the staff should know how to handle things without a leader. Not being able to find one is a bad sign.

See posts saying it’s one thing to pay off the past debt but what will be done so this doesn’t happen again. No response to that. Also nothing seen on what is being done or an expected timeline on correcting the CA paperwork mess. 
If there has been any movement it’s been very slow. Meanwhile four months from now the 2023 season will be over. What position will SCV be in four months from now? 
Do I want to see SCV fail.. NO! Have seen too many corps go under and activity is in bad enough shape without this corps going kaput. And how many other corps have behind the scenes crap that would hurt them if the truth would come out. THAT’S why I’m following this thread closely

To do it right?

yesterday

8 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

There is no textbook for how to do this.

The institution is immensely more powerful than any one whistleblower, it's why the protection laws exist. I have chosen to side with the truly less powerful in these situations because I've endured the lasting effects of mistreatment. Their capacity to recover from their experiences, when the industry as a whole continues to require their silence about what they endured, is hindered. And the industry's capacity to improve is too.

The organization isn’t the government they don’t have that kind of power. Especially when the government is part of the organizations issues

12 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Why do you think I restrict my commentary to my corps? What little poking around I've done in other groups has not been well met. Except for SoA.

To be clear, the last bit in my post was not in response to anything you posted. We’re good 👍

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jeff Ream said:

The organization isn’t the government they don’t have that kind of power. Especially when the government is part of the organizations issues

If the org doesn't have that kind of power, the individuals it harmed still have even less.

I just fear that some are giving whistleblowers more power than we actually have to "destroy" an institution. And, even though anyone outside of wb circles would have no way of knowing this... the amount of restraint demonstrated by every single one I'm in contact with is monastic and profoundly compassionate, given what they endured.

I think the subtext directed at wbs in this convo of ours is "be careful, don't break Vanguard pl0x." To which I can only say, "We are being incredibly delicate. But to move the dial, we also have to judiciously assertive as well. We love Vanguard too." And it's not like these wbs are some united force, most just want to be left alone.

I'm btw a hard rock and a place. Seriously. Alum with reports approached me as recently as last month. Beyond everything else, I'm stuck figuring out how to help ensure those and future reporters don't face retaliation. Unless anyone here has any better ideas about how to handle that...

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

To do it right?

yesterday

My first thought was “to do it right?” or “be able to do it at all?” 🥲

3 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

To be clear, the last bit in my post was not in response to anything you posted. We’re good 👍

💯 Didn't take it that way and appreciate your saying so. Also, it's crucial that other corps cross their t's and dot their i's. I hate that my corps is splayed out for our teachable moments but might as well learn from it if nothing else.

Edited by scheherazadesghost
  • Like 1