Per the California Attorney General Vanguard is operating illegally as a non profit

3 hours ago, Slingerland said:

Nah, assuming he has the receipts (email comms from them, etc) plus the official state records that support the assertions, there's nothing here that comes close to having enough turf to support a defamation suit. Nonprofit orgs are there to operate for the public good, and when they get into trouble and then tell people "mind your own business" - which SCV has, consistently, to all sorts of experienced people in the activity who have offered to help - the non-profit has given up any claims to operating for the public good.

DCI's membership will have to force the issue. unfortunately. The DCI Board should entertain a resolution that Vanguard will not be allowed to be back on the tour next year until they meet standards of transparency and can show that they are in full compliance with any and all state laws and regulations, with an August 1 deadline, so kids know by Finals week whether SCV is legit or not. They were given a lot of latitude over the winter to clean up their mess, and while paying down the debt is a big step, there were obvious issues of mis-management going back 3 or 4 years that will have to be unf__ked before anyone else in the activity should trust them.

If I recall from past posts you're an attorney....?  I think so, but I could be thinking of someone else. 

I count 3 to 4 elements out of 5 that meet the standard of defamation IF he is not being factual and purposely spreading false information.  If he is being factual then there's nothing to see here.  

I'm surprised (well maybe not) DCI doesn't already have something that requires corps must be in full compliance with any and all state laws and regulations in terms of operating as a non-profit. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

Respectfully, I don't think there's that many corps administrators sitting on here reading forums. If people want to ensure their corps is in compliance and handling funds responsibly, they're better off going to the corps and asking the questions. This thread is just beating a dead horse at this point. 

We learn a little more every day.  We learn that a formerly respectable org is now in jeopardy and are misrepresenting themselves to supporters and donors every day.  Maybe it takes this amount of dead horse beating to get people to understand the sad depths of the once class of DCI has dropped to.  No sweeping any of this under a rug or letting it slip out of sight.

• Like 3

I don't think SCV is in a financial state to even try to attempt any sort of attorney fees to try and sue anyone for defamation. I mean, they just got their debt paid off...or so they're leading us to believe. I won't believe it until the 990s for the 2023 tax season are released. Bingo or not, if they could pay off the debt in this short amount of time, then what was stopping them from doing it over the last few years other than mismanagement?

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

What's there more to learn? They've been in jeopardy for months now. They mismanaged funds. They appear to not be in compliance with state regulations and they outwardly appear to not be addressing it. Or maybe they are and it's an internal matter. We may think we have the "right" to know everything going on behind the scenes, but we don't. At the end of the day, sitting here in a forum going around and around is going to result in no change for SCV or the activity at all. 

It’s a continuing story… it’s not like people here are rehashing over and over something that happened in the past and is over. 
Will anything discussed here cause any change with how SCV management handles this mess? I doubt it very much. But that doesn’t have anything to do with bringing the facts out in the open.  
IMO the potential future members “need to know” what is going on for their good. (Govt employees will recognize the significance of “need to know”)

Edit in case of confusion: I’d say potential members have a RIGHT to know if a corps they are going to spend a few thousand on has problems or not.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

If he is being factual then there's nothing to see here.  

Hence my note about him having receipts. The CA AG letters are matter of public record, and If he's not saying things here that are demonstrably untrue, or posting with disregard to the truth of the statements, then there'd be no point in going after him with a defamation claim.  

In any case, you'd hope their attorneys are better focused on helping them protect their sizable pool of assets rather than worrying what people are saying on a niche-y online forum.

To claim that whistleblowers wouldn't want SCV around is rich.

If anything, we want it around more than the general public and we want it at a higher standard that doesn't subject members and staff to harmful environments. Everyone I know who has blown the whistle also offered to help, before and after blowing the whistle.

Just because all you see a whistleblower do is post online, doesn't mean that's all we do. We're doing the public a service by reporting out what we find when we have consent to do so. And there are legal protections for us for a reason... what we do is difficult.

Most of the other alum are fully disengaged (can't be contacted) or have stepped away in frustration. Sorry Vanguard is stuck with me...

Perhaps Vanguard didn't really "choose me" like it did the others.

• Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

Things have evolved quite a bit and something new comes out often.  No matter, many people find the discussion interesting.  Fix it, no one here can only SCV admin or BOD or alums can.  Should they choose to. There are many legal issues rising.  Much of what is happening is schooling for other orgs and anything gleaned through any discussion could be valuable to others.  The thing is most here want SCV around so long as they prove they want to fix things and maybe just maybe swallow some pride and admit they have a lot of financial, legal, moral and ethical issues to clean up and make right.  They screwed up big time.  Old supporters are fed up with denials.  As far as doing something effective, again it’s the admin, BOD and a few legal entities in Cali that can do that.  Maybe DCI the org suspends them indefinitely until they prove to be free and clear of all Cali legal compliances and are financially solvent with no encumbrances. That might take the orgs declaration that SCV is back in 2024 out of SCV’s hands and incentivize them to fix the messes. Or pack up for good.  It’s up to SCV.

This response is really the reason I made my initial comment in the first place. You state that most here want SCV around, which we all want SCV around. Well maybe there are some in this thread that don't or at least act like they don't. But my broader point is, outsiders can effect change on the organization. You say the old supporters are fed up with denials and this is exactly my point, old supporters just sitting around playing the blame game. This thread has really become a fest for people to sit around and watch SCV fail and complain about SCV and want them to fail.

Member of a group that lost its nonprofit status for a few years. Couple hundred members in the group including charter members from when group started decades before. General membership STILL has not gotten the full story of how nonprofit was lost. Lot of guesses, rumors and lawyer fees that suddenly increased (yearly budget does go out to members). Board was asked few times at business meetings where all members could attend. Membership got brush offs, double speak and no answers. 
See same frustration from people with SCV ties here and in other places in not getting information. Don’t see how an outsider can make changes when people with connections to the corps are kept in the dark.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

not reading 40 pages and can assume its the same people arguing as usual. 

Sounds like SCV just joined Glassmen with modern day poor spending habits.  No they wont be back.  An alumni group will try to carry on after they fold and they wont achieve anything outside taking money to pay the storage locker bill.  It is time to start putting your SCV eggs into Golds basket because that will be your future California powerhouse.

RIP 🌹

• Like 1
  • Confused 2