Here's an Idea

9 minutes ago, Lance said:

I'd love to see limits on megaprop usage in DCI but it's not going to happen.  

They would have to police themselves and we all know that's not happening already.

as someone who builds more than his fair share of things for theatre, ballet, opera...etc.  I'd like DCI to adopt better safety and design standards like we do in professional entertainment.  

https://tsp.esta.org/tsp/documents/published_docs.php

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, C.Holland said:

as someone who builds more than his fair share of things for theatre, ballet, opera...etc.  I'd like DCI to adopt better safety and design standards like we do in professional entertainment.  

https://tsp.esta.org/tsp/documents/published_docs.php

C points to the single most important characteristic of any prop, and even the pros sometimes fail at this. Ask Alec Baldwin.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, ironlips said:

We humans are so very predictable. The first thing we do is look for what's wrong with something. That's why the tick system lasted so long.

This basic concept is actually a sound one, already exists and is quite successful. It's called WGI. There's no "tour". Except for Championships and Regionals these are one-day events on weekends and there are literally dozens of them each week, all over the country.

Props? Sure...ones that work indoors on a gym floor. Lighting and EFX are handed easily. Here's a good example:

Now, I don't see the World Class corps participating, but Open and scholastic units, sure. One predictable downside is that audiences might become too large for some gyms and shows would require arenas, but most of these (even the pro basketball venues) are empty half the time because teams are on the road.

Of course, none of this will serve to discourage props on the field come summer. The opposite will be the case, actually. And the tick is not coming back anytime soon, either.

most regionals now are held in larger facilities

8 hours ago, Lance said:

I'd love to see limits on megaprop usage in DCI but it's not going to happen.  

only when someone does well without them will the trend start to change

20 hours ago, ironlips said:

We humans are so very predictable. The first thing we do is look for what's wrong with something. That's why the tick system lasted so long.

This basic concept is actually a sound one, already exists and is quite successful. It's called WGI. There's no "tour". Except for Championships and Regionals these are one-day events on weekends and there are literally dozens of them each week, all over the country.

Props? Sure...ones that work indoors on a gym floor. Lighting and EFX are handed easily. Here's a good example:

Now, I don't see the World Class corps participating, but Open and scholastic units, sure. One predictable downside is that audiences might become too large for some gyms and shows would require arenas, but most of these (even the pro basketball venues) are empty half the time because teams are on the road.

Of course, none of this will serve to discourage props on the field come summer. The opposite will be the case, actually. And the tick is not coming back anytime soon, either.

Thoroughly enjoyable!!

I do not have an issue with props but how they function in the show.  Unfortunately props have often become a distraction and are poorly integrated in the design.  How often in a performance are your eyes drawn to members moving props across the field, not for effect but to get the large pieces from point A to point B?  There are definitely examples of effective use of props but it is the minority IMO.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Keith Hall said:

You know I wasn't serious right? Maybe most don't know me LOL

Yes. It was pretty clear to some of us that your tongue was placed securely in your cheek regarding props. But the concept of "Winter Corps" is actually quite viable, as WGI demonstrates.

I am always amused (though not surprised) that any new "idea" is greeted with immediate skepticism. As I pointed out, this is just human nature (in my opinion).

• Like 1