Mandarins 2023

Just now, KVG_DC said:

That much was obvious from the start of the season with the spinning passthroughs and led to the "they should strap people to those" and "vomit comet ride" conversation.  

I'm still laughing they actually went for it.  

They went for it and it’s awesome as heck 

• Like 3

Flo has their "no sound" video up.

https://www.flomarching.com/events/10854523-2023-dci-houston/videos?playing=11152655

It's still an electric ending without the sound.  Also my brain entirely played that Take Me to Church along with this video.  This is such a memorable show. 

• Like 3

I'm also loving how the camera guy actually goes for one of those kids getting out of the prop after the show's end and seeing if he can even walk.   It's pretty amazing he seems entirely unfazed as he gets his horn and starts with his apparent assigned duty to help lock the cage in place and roll it out.

I'm gonna watch for them in particular at the end of tonights run. Frankly, you volunteer to be a spinnerman, you should be exempt from any field clearing duties other than attempting to walk a straight line to the tunnel.  🤣

• Haha 5

12 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

vomit comet 💀 

We did this story before when we first talked about this show....

That was my high school friends group official name for that particular carnival ride where they spin you and the floor drops out

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

That was my high school friends group official name for that particular carnival ride where they spin you and the floor drops out

my memory span not so good rn 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, DrumManTx said:

my memory span not so good rn 

Go for a spin, the fresh air will do you good.  Gets the blood flowing.

23 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

That was the first finals.  

But frankly 2017 was entirely "finals worthy" finishing just outside at 13

You could say 2015 Resurrection and 2016's Forbidden Forest was the start of it as they took their style in a new direction toward the 'strange and uncanny.'

2015's terra cotta soldiers waking up finished 20th.  2016's weird trip through the forbidden forest pulled them to 17th.  Then it was off to the races. 13, 10, 10, [covid] 10 and now another jump.  

2017 might be my second favorite behind 2023.  The second they started the first cast I watched I know we were in for a new corps on the rise.  

Can’t believe I forgot them in my favorite non finalist shows ever discussion.  I guess I’m used to them in finals 😜

- Southwind 2000

- Mandarins 2017

-  Pacific Crest 2019

28 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

vomit comet 💀 

14 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

Also unofficial name of the parabolic flights NASA uses to expose astronauts and others to a bit of microgravity. 

• Like 2