Mandarins 2023

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Also unofficial name of the parabolic flights NASA uses to expose astronauts and others to a bit of microgravity. 

Yup.  We had an exhibit at the Gallaudet museum annex awhile back how a group of deaf men were vital in the early experiments of zero-g and riding the vomit comet.  

They all were deaf due to vestibular things and so the lack of a full operating vestibular system mean they weren't so disoriented in the tests so the other physical effects could be measured and studied

Edited by KVG_DC
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Dpsouthern81 said:

I would last 1 and 1/2 rotations in that thing before losing it.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Dpsouthern81 said:

I can barely handle the Tea Cups ride at Disneyland. 

Put me on that Mandarins prop......you better have an ambulance on standby lol. 

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

I would like a g force reading on that thing. Anything over 5gs (which is top gs for rollercoasters) requieres specific training to begin to be safe and sustainable. Anyone know what this bad boy does? Are Mandies tracking that?

Safety first. 👍🏽

Mandarins doesn’t take health and wellness of its members lightly. I don’t know if they’ve measured g-forces, but I have absolutely no doubt member safety was one of the first things addressed when they considered doing this. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, brassboy said:

Mandarins doesn’t take health and wellness of its members lightly. I don’t know if they’ve measured g-forces, but I have absolutely no doubt member safety was one of the first things addressed when they considered doing this. 

Indeed, I've commented similarly about their obvious overall care for wellness and safety.

Nonetheless, only a g-force reading could confirm that no lasting damage is being done, or if the gs are high and those members in the props need, perhaps, to not be immediately marching right after they are spinnermen (if that's what's happening.) I'd simply like to know if that's been done, and if so, what the reading was.

If it's under 5 gs, excellent, it's like riding a rollercoaster. The info would be cool to compare to rides out in the world. 🙃

Asking for corps to prove their safety practices with quantifiable, measurable metrics is not the same as attacking their safety records. It's telling them to prove it. That's what large granting foundations need to see too.

Edit to add: Also, shouldn't be a big deal when there's an app for that: https://www.amazon.com/Miodne-Projects-Accelerometer-g-force-meter/dp/B00S2X0N9K

Edited by scheherazadesghost

It's not a g-force test, but the marcher in that gif is the one the Flo camera picked up on at the end of the show.  (see my link above)

They popped out of that thing and picked up their horn and started going with no apparent ill effects or dizzy.   That's doing better than I did after the Joker's Wild ride at 6 Flags...which pushes the g's to 4.5.  

It happens at the very end of the show so there's no further marching/performing for the 7 lucky spinners.  

Guard Staff in April:  Ok folks, this year you'll be moving props and spinning flags, rifles, sabres, and horn players...

Guard: 

grin-evil.gif

• Haha 4

If you want to keep your spot, you better not show signs of dizziness. I didn't show ill effects from what I was asked to do, and most don't cause they wanna keep marching.

Or, Mandies did the testing and it's harmless. 👍🏽

I'm just asking for quantifiable data is all, cause you can't get informed consent without it. So far, we've only got the qualitative evidence which is important but not the whole picture.