Midwest Premiere

3 minutes ago, 27Socal said:

After seeing this show and seeing BD last night in Camarillo,  it's looking like number 21.   What a weird but incredible show.  A lot of small pieces that don't seem related,  but when you step back and look at the whole piece of art, it really does work,  like the Cut Outs by Matisse?  Scott is a genius,  don't ever lose that guy.  We'll see how they shake out against the other big boys and girls.   This horn line might be their best ever.   Could they have picked up the best half of Vanguard's hornline and added it to the best of last year's BD hornline?  What a sound!  Some of those baritone parts will blow your hair back (and that's in the last part of the show).  I guess spring training at 12,000 feet does strengthen the lungs.  For those who remember your high school french,  you are in for a treat.  The "both sides now" ballad is goose bump city. Joni Mitchell would be proud.   I interpret it as Matisse creating art before and after he could still paint,  i.e. "I've looked at life from both sides now".  Drumline is way better than at this time last year.  If they could push last year's line into 3rd,  this year's line has even more potential.  The guard is still a little dirty, but huge in size and potential (BAC will have some competition this year).   Every guard member can really handle each type of equipment.  To see all ~50 on flag, then saber, then rifle is really impressive.  To see 50 sevens get thrown from the middle of a drill set is wow!  Everyone gets to witness this on Sat.

didn’t realize they were in Michigan

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

Yeah, that 12,000 foot altitude spot near Rockford

2 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

It's a heads up of what these guys tonite will compete against.

2 minutes ago, 27Socal said:

It's a heads up of what these guys tonite will compete against.

I don’t think anyone who watch the show tonight thought for a second that they were going to be a threat to BD. I saw talk of pushing for top five or six, but not challenge for a ring. 

• Like 4

What a great opening night. Absolutely LOVED Regiment. Another step in the right direction for them. The guard was wonderful, the horns sounded great, and I love the props.

Blue Stars have a great show. It will be interesting to see how them and Regiment measure up against each other throughout the season.

My big question was WTAF is that prop Troopers are using. I couldn’t take my eyes off it the entire show. How bizarre and interesting.

4 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I don’t think anyone who watch the show tonight thought for a second that they were going to be a threat to BD. I saw talk of pushing for top five or six, but not challenge for a ring. 

Of course not.   Just trying to develop the big picture as we head thru these shows up to Sat.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, year1buick said:

Today’s weather in DFW doesn’t bode well for the outdoor shows next month on the Texas tour. We’re under an excessive heat warning with highs expected around 106-108 and heat indexes up to 115. Very dangerous for outdoor activity. And it’s only June.

It is only June, and that probably doesn’t bode well because July and August are the hottest months for Texas, that is true. BUTTTT, the temps for the first week of July, heading into next week are forecast to be dipping a decent amount to what they’ve been these last few weeks. It’s not like we’re gonna see 115’s-120’s as-is, without the heat index just because it’s 102 in June. Weather’s very much a week-to-week, day-to-day outlook in prognosticating. We just have to keep our eye on it.

14 hours ago, DudleytheWest said:

My big question was WTAF is that prop Troopers are using. I couldn’t take my eyes off it the entire show. How bizarre and interesting.

A very large version of these kinetic wind spinners.      

Edited by TOC
  • Thanks 1

Just got home from the show and without reading 40+ pages of comments, my impressions.

Overall very good show from all four. None of them 'bored' me. From an enjoyment standpoint, with a little 'judging from the stands' thrown in, I ranked them Blue Stars, Phantom, a large gap, Colts, Troopers. Phantom was LOUD which was really cool. But I felt more nuanced musicianship from Blue Stars. This is the most enjoyable Phantom show in 20 years for me. Both of these two are going to be interesting come August when they have really developed the shows. I was a little shocked to look into the recap and see Troopers higher in most areas than Colts. I just thought Troopers were more dirty (obviously - first show) than Colts.

• Like 2