Midwest Premiere

Just now, saxfreq1128 said:

I guess the most generous spin would be that it’s a vote of confidence in the members, that they can handle a tougher show…? Which is impossible to say at this stage… Maybe he’s been matching me beer for beer, that would explain it. 

Partaked in the absinthe a bit too much.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

These are my favorite critique numbers when I have to talk to judges because when you ask for explanation have the time you get alot of umms and stuttering.  This is the hardest caption to outperform day 1 and I really want to know the rationale lol

Day 1 and only 4 units to manage.  Some people just shouldnt be judging.  Once. a judge is in, it's very rare to see them booted.  This is true everywhere (even in DCI,  the supposed pinnacle of outdoor marching arts).  

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

So I too would like to hear his commentary, however this is very possible and since he was judging GE, even more possible. In this particular case, I really want to know his thoughts because I wouldn’t have flipped it for GE on this show, but there’s some avenues I could see him taking for justification. 

yeah and at an opening day show with 4 units to manage none of them would fly.   

you know what -- NVM.  

Edited by karuna

42 minutes ago, mcjordansc said:

In 1975 everything was pretty literal. 

marijuana drill form?

Edited by MadScout80

43 minutes ago, dcsnare93 said:

Partaked in the absinthe a bit too much.

and who among us can judge, honestly

After seeing this show and seeing BD last night in Camarillo,  it's looking like number 21.   What a weird but incredible show.  A lot of small pieces that don't seem related,  but when you step back and look at the whole piece of art, it really does work,  like the Cut Outs by Matisse?  Scott is a genius,  don't ever lose that guy.  We'll see how they shake out against the other big boys and girls.   This horn line might be their best ever.   Could they have picked up the best half of Vanguard's hornline and added it to the best of last year's BD hornline?  What a sound!  Some of those baritone parts will blow your hair back (and that's in the last part of the show).  I guess spring training at 12,000 feet does strengthen the lungs.  For those who remember your high school french,  you are in for a treat.  The "both sides now" ballad is goose bump city. Joni Mitchell would be proud.   I interpret it as Matisse creating art before and after he could still paint,  i.e. "I've looked at life from both sides now".  Drumline is way better than at this time last year.  If they could push last year's line into 3rd,  this year's line has even more potential.  The guard is still a little dirty, but huge in size and potential (BAC will have some competition this year).   Every guard member can really handle each type of equipment.  To see all ~50 on flag, then saber, then rifle is really impressive.  To see 50 sevens get thrown from the middle of a drill set is wow!  Everyone gets to witness this on Sat.

• Like 2