When does it end with SCV??????

22 hours ago, jmc5682 said:

I do not see what this has to do with SCV.  

It has nothing to do with SCV. It's a click bait topic. Obviously something happened or was said in the YouTube video that WGI found objectionable and they took appropriate action. A person who is in their staff also works for SCV. Yet the topic blames SCV for what happened. Ridiculous.

25 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

One thing to consider perhaps, is for the kids to pull this off, there had to have been a significant amount of time for them to have been left unsupervised, monitored, observed.  That is unquestionably a fault of leadership.  The leadership is ultimately responsible for all of the behavior of an org., good or bad.

I mean, they're adults. (Is Infinity all 18+? Bigger issues here if not.) They shouldn't need constant supervision by leadership.

Ideally, young adults should be self monitoring up into the point of policy violation level activities. Beyond that, the next closest to them, volunteers and instructors, should've seen this risk of violation a mile away before they got to the floor. Finally, you can guarantee that if any of my former students had ever been seen by me acting like that at a group function, I would have personally, lovingly scruffed and removed them the second I'd been made aware. No muss no fuss, you busted the policy you signed so don't act surprised. And you put the organization at risk. The job at that point involves eliminating risk for everyone, including for the member who thought this was a good idea. Who knows? Perhaps they're the most at risk at that moment... of self harm. Care in that moment is just as important as a good warmup, making sure the food is good, and high fiving the members before they go on. It should be in the leadership dna.

This includes the hypothetical situation that I'd been around for Vanguard's 87 post finals run thru antics, or any of the other examples that've made their way to me.

It's not just leadership. The whole org gets a tomato in the face because the probationary period reflects on the whole org whether they like it or not. In fact, I'll go further to say that WGI and other groups might consider beefing up their policies regarding how to respond to bullying from other groups. Rumor has it we have another group to thank for reporting this behavior in the first place.

Group accountability is what helps me maintain my compassion for my fellow alum, even those who I disagree with, or who have expressed their displeasure with my choices. I can compassionately hold the cognitive dissonance between us because I consider us a team.

It's when they, and other groups disown those who disagree with them or make a youthful mistake that problems arise. Some of those young people made your favorite shows and experiences possible... and, in most cases, are more than worthy of forgiveness. When they get full blame, the staff and leadership don't have to improve.

Sorry Infinity. These are your members and they helped you score higher than ever before. You, and too many of these educationalish orgs, are missing an opportunity to listen and learn from mistakes you made regarding member experience.

Disowning us is easier though. Cause this work is difficult and there's no manual for it.

8 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

It has nothing to do with SCV. It's a click bait topic. Obviously something happened or was said in the YouTube video that WGI found objectionable and they took appropriate action. A person who is in their staff also works for SCV. Yet the topic blames SCV for what happened. Ridiculous.

Well, almost. Seems to me the topic blames SCV for employing the person who didn’t carry out their responsibilities to prevent what happened from happening.   Versus blaming SCV for what happened. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Well, almost. Seems to me the topic blames SCV for employing the person who didn’t carry out their responsibilities to prevent what happened from happening.   Versus blaming SCV for what happened. 

It's impossible to prevent someone from acting out. WGI world class age goes way beyond 21. It's unfortunate but blaming a certain person for someone else's behavior is stretching. I employ many people over the years and yes I make sure they try to follow work rules and in a few times I've had to fire those who don't.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Is there a scenario in which you would accept current leadership?

Honestly, no. 

Anyone who was involved with the decisions in the last year regarding VMAPA finances need to go. Anyone who has been involved with PR needs to go. Anyone involved in any kind of scandal, even tangentially, needs to go. Start fresh with a clean slate, and build from the ground up.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Agreed, this isn't about blaming SCV for this issue, it's calling attention to someone that SCV hired that has bad optics attached to her. Fair or not, it's not a good way to start a relaunch when faith in the org is already tainted.

17 minutes ago, MarimbaManiac said:

Agreed, this isn't about blaming SCV for this issue, it's calling attention to someone that SCV hired that has bad optics attached to her. Fair or not, it's not a good way to start a relaunch when faith in the org is already tainted.

Again...stretching. She wasn't hired after the Infinity incident. I can understand if someone was hired during a tenure of another place and they had issues with behavior and leadership was a question. Who knows if she will be around once or if SCV comes back. See the headline topic.....that to me is a click bait.

49 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

It's impossible to prevent someone from acting out. WGI world class age goes way beyond 21. It's unfortunate but blaming a certain person for someone else's behavior is stretching. I employ many people over the years and yes I make sure they try to follow work rules and in a few times I've had to fire those who don't.

WGI Percussion still has an age limit for independent groups. Guard did away the age limit for Independent World.

There is also the issue with under 21 year olds in the group who may have had access to adult beverages. 

50 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

It's impossible to prevent someone from acting out. WGI world class age goes way beyond 21. It's unfortunate but blaming a certain person for someone else's behavior is stretching. 

That’s what leadership is. If you are in a leadership position, you are, and should be, held accountable for the actions of those you lead / supervise. You should feel personally accountable. Fair or not, that’s how it goes. Or it’s how it Should go. And we will just disagree that it’s impossible to prevent someone from acting out. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

Again...stretching. She wasn't hired after the Infinity incident. I can understand if someone was hired during a tenure of another place and they had issues with behavior and leadership was a question. Who knows if she will be around once or if SCV comes back. See the headline topic.....that to me is a click bait.

It doesn't matter, the fact is that she is attached to this PR issue (and it is a PR issue for anyone involved), which is something SCV doesn't need. ESPECIALLY when community trust is at an all time low, they already had to get rid of Spike because of bad optics, and the corps has a spotty history of hiring people with problematic histories. 

Also, I don't remember but was she in that photo of people flipping the bird in their corps credentials at a show?

Fire her, and move on. 

• Thanks 1