When does it end with SCV??????

11 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

I don't follow WGI, so I'm looking for information.

Does anyone know if there's "bad blood" between the 2 groups ?

Infinity's reaction also seems a bit "over the top" for a 4th place finish .

first time beating one of the icons of the genre. almost always top 5 since oh forever

11 hours ago, ECJ94 said:

I just watched the video above and I agree, the shopping cart was in bad taste as well as a potential hazard to the member in it as well as members around it, but the underlying thing that I can't help but note....

Back when there used to be a full retreat at every show, members were taught early how to maintain proper decorum during retreat. That seems to be missing these days.

Yes, we all remember flying elbows during the pass through, but the shenanigans ended on the track. Once you were back on the field, all games came to an end. The staff wasn't on the field to police your actions, the veteran membership did that.

Now, the veteran members don't even know how to act. Perhaps full retreats should be occurring more often? Perhaps regional should have full retreats so that the members start learning what is expected of them before they get to finals??

IMO part of it is the "party atmosphere" that seems pervasive at WGI retreats. all fun happy happy. it's encouraged to be a party ( within reason)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

sighhhhhhh......I REALLY miss military bearing in the "marching arts".

The shopping cart was ridiculous.  Is he mocking the homeless or just being an idiot? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fsthnds said:

The issue started when the "shopping cart" was used to bring "liquid" refreshments into the tent when the units were lining up for the retreat.

thats a problem

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, gbass598 said:

Since people are trying to connect SCV to this event, are there any staff that taught elsewhere so those corps can be blamed too? What about the members who marched other corps? I know some were out there. Do we blame those corps too for not teaching their members how to act?

this

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jeff Ream said:

I go waaay back with them and not a fan.  I liked them better as the Bridgemen.  Funny you should bring up 1982 DCI Finals as my SCV friends are talking about the Infinity situation and saying if cell phone cameras existed in 1982 Blue Devils would have been banned for two years.   

7 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

I go waaay back with them and not a fan.  I liked them better as the Bridgemen.  Funny you should bring up 1982 DCI Finals as my SCV friends are talking about the Infinity situation and saying if cell phone cameras existed in 1982 Blue Devils would have been banned for two years.   

And if cell phone cameras existed in 1963 there wouldn’t be the Kennedy assignation-conspiracy industry. But, they didn’t exist. 

8 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

i think it's both. in your youth did adults tell you not to do something then you went and did it anyway? I did. 

I was a perfect angel, definitely no lived experience to pull from here.

😉👍🏽

i'll be honest....who even knows if staff knew about the cart? I know when my kids walked on the floor several years ago i didn't know they beads and baubles and stuff. granted thats far more tame, but still staff aren't all knowing. and once it's on the floor staff may not have access to get out there and get the cart removed.

I won't get into the weeds. I wasn't there. I just would've thought someone, anyone, close to the org would've caught the policy violation and told staff to save embarrassment... if not, that's a breakdown in procedure. No procedure written? Hmmm...

again...not absolving the staff.....but they can't be everywhere and see everything either. in fact sometimes being a helicopter staff member leads to bigger issues later

Part of their job is monitoring for risks and policy violations. There are ways to do that without hovering.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scheherazadesghost said:

I was a perfect angel, definitely no lived experience to pull from here.

😉👍🏽

I won't get into the weeds. I wasn't there. I just would've thought someone, anyone, close to the org would've caught the policy violation and told staff to save embarrassment... if not, that's a breakdown in procedure. No procedure written? Hmmm...

Part of their job is monitoring for risks and policy violations. There are ways to do that without hovering.

One thing to consider perhaps, is for the kids to pull this off, there had to have been a significant amount of time for them to have been left unsupervised, monitored, observed.  That is unquestionably a fault of leadership.  The leadership is ultimately responsible for all of the behavior of an org., good or bad.

• Like 2