Experience Timeless Excellence at the VMAPA Hall of Fame Celebration

42 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Personally, I think it’s doubtful that we’ll see Santa Clara return. I hope I’m wrong and I’d be more than willing to eat crow if we see a new and managerially improved SCV next year. That being said, the last thing you do is celebrate while the organization is engulfed in scandal. It may very well be the case that those who attend would be angrier and more disappointed than the average fan, but the perception of a celebration is that the financial issues, the safety issues, and other issues that have surfaced don’t matter.  If you want to gather alums, have the purpose be to get things moving in the right direction. When a plan is in place, then celebrate. This shows you understand and it builds up good faith and trust.

I disagree with you 100%.  How does celebrating their own alumni into their own HOF send the message their other issues "don't matter"......?  They're not capable of doing more than one thing at a time?  Do you know they don't have a plan in place?

I've been through what they're going through.  They need to circle the wagons, wave the Santa Clara flag, play the video of the Bottle Dance on loop, and not care about building up good faith and trust among DCP posters 

• Like 1

I tend to side with Greg. If it brings even a little positivity among all the doom and gloom, let them honor their inductees. However, if it breaks out into an all-out free for all bickerfest among the alum, I reserve the right to change my opinion.

16 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

I disagree with you 100%.  How does celebrating their own alumni into their own HOF send the message their other issues "don't matter"......?  They're not capable of doing more than one thing at a time?  Do you know they don't have a plan in place?

I've been through what they're going through.  They need to circle the wagons, wave the Santa Clara flag, play the video of the Bottle Dance on loop, and not care about building up good faith and trust among DCP posters 

I understand your point, but this is a common theme with the organization. They ignore the systemic issues, and instead distract with hand waving and encouraging blind allegiance. The cringe factor comes from the fact that they still have not adequately admitted they have major issues to iron out in the organization, so celebrating its accomplishments is just another distraction from the work they need to do. They need to build good faith and trust in the community at large, which includes alumni. I guarantee you that what's happening on DCP isn't ONLY happening on DCP. Alumni and former employees are having these conversations amongst themselves as well, as are educators of other organizations in the bay area. 

Edited by MarimbaManiac
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, MarimbaManiac said:

I understand your point, but this is a common theme with the organization. They ignore the systemic issues, and instead distract with hand waving and encouraging blind allegiance. The cringe factor comes from the fact that they still have not adequately admitted they have major issues to iron out in the organization, so celebrating its accomplishments is just another distraction from the work they need to do. They need to build good faith and trust in the community at large, which includes alumni. I guarantee you that what's happening on DCP isn't ONLY happening on DCP. Alumni and former employees are having these conversations amongst themselves as well, as are educators of other organizations in the bay area. 

Thank you for you post MarimbaManiac.  I have a different POV and believe organizations, even SCV, can walk and chew gum at the same time.  My wife and I also have many dear friends of over 50 years who marched in SCV, four of whom were in our wedding party b.i.t.d.  I don't know their opinion on this party, but I do know their allegiance is "blind" although not to the current management staff necessarily. 

23 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

We can agree to disagree, though I will say I was not thinking of DCP posters when I made the comment. Circling the wagons is fine, but you need to be careful the wagons are going in the direction you want. You could get some positive results with a Hall of Fame dinner, but you run the greater risk of a disaster. Hall of Fame ceremonies in general are attended by an older crowd. Inductees are usually a bit older. The reason: they are likely to donate and as someone who had been on committees organizing Hall of Fame dinners, I know that’s a huge factor. You need to have certainty that there will be a corps on the field next year if you want alums and donors to give even a cent. We will probably know more after Indy about SCV fielding a corps next year, but right now not too many folks are holding their breath. Attendees often remember the good old days, which should be a plus but it’s also where it gets dangerous. In the case of SCV, you get folks reminiscing and you’re reminded that one of the most loved and respected corps who never missed finals is not fielding a corps this year. if the problems are not solved, the discussion then moves to Gail Royer rolling in his grave about what has happened. A corps that was a leader and innovative is reduced to nothing follows. Then it spirals. You also run the risk of the media getting wind of the event.

involving the alumni in the corps’ future is a good idea, I’m not sure that a Hall of Game dinner is the way to do it at this time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

We can agree to disagree, though I will say I was not thinking of DCP posters when I made the comment. Circling the wagons is fine, but you need to be careful the wagons are going in the direction you want. You could get some positive results with a Hall of Fame dinner, but you run the greater risk of a disaster. Hall of Fame ceremonies in general are attended by an older crowd. Inductees are usually a bit older. The reason: they are likely to donate and as someone who had been on committees organizing Hall of Fame dinners, I know that’s a huge factor. You need to have certainty that there will be a corps on the field next year if you want alums and donors to give even a cent. We will probably know more after Indy about SCV fielding a corps next year, but right now not too many folks are holding their breath. Attendees often remember the good old days, which should be a plus but it’s also where it gets dangerous. In the case of SCV, you get folks reminiscing and you’re reminded that one of the most loved and respected corps who never missed finals is not fielding a corps this year. if the problems are not solved, the discussion then moves to Gail Royer rolling in his grave about what has happened. A corps that was a leader and innovative is reduced to nothing follows. Then it spirals. You also run the risk of the media getting wind of the event.

involving the alumni in the corps’ future is a good idea, I’m not sure that a Hall of Game dinner is the way to do it at this time.

Thank you, Tim K!  We disagree, but I like the conversation and differing points of view 

3 hours ago, Tim K said:

We can agree to disagree, though I will say I was not thinking of DCP posters when I made the comment. Circling the wagons is fine, but you need to be careful the wagons are going in the direction you want. 

Totally a silly OT….

if you circle the wagons they aren’t going in any single direction at all.  😀

Just around and around and arou…..

😀

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, MikeD said:

Totally a silly OT….

if you circle the wagons they aren’t going in any single direction at all.  😀

Just around and around and arou…..

😀

And when they fire their rifles they will invariably shoot each other. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1