Spirit of Atlanta 2023

This corps is incredibly young and talented. I know because I got callbacks with them for this year. I could not march due to costs and a bad ankle injury but This corps is going places. I saw them in Macon a week ago they were good. The opener is 100x better than in January and it sounds finalist-level for when we get to August. The show design is fun and enjoyable. Idk anything about perc. or guard as a Baritone but they seem solid. Overall I have high hopes maybe for a finals spot but it wouldn't shock me for them to land at 13th or 14th.

To the Spirit family:

You may be disappointed in yesterday’s score/placement - and that’s OK and understandable.

But do NOT be disappointed in yourselves!

This is a truly enjoyable show and these kids - young kids at that - are killing it out there.

You have already WON - you have brought back a corps that many people thought may never return. That is the greatest victory of all.

Have a stellar and enjoyable last few weeks of the season, Baby Blue!💙

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I loved this Spirit of Atlanta show. Great music! Brass, Perc, and Guard are wonderful. I honestly had them higher and was surprised by the results. But yes, do not worry about the numbers. Clean the show. The crowd loved them yesterday and they will love them at the other regionals and finals. 

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tears have already been reported because of this show, not just by me but on reddit too.

That beats placement and scoring any day cause it means you touched audience's hearts. No other show has actually made me cry, not even close.

This is why I hate that the activity still uses scoring to define itself. When SoA should be celebrating a triumphant return, the members are being understandably detracted by numbers. Continue to try to steer them away from this. Let the staff worry about placement. Let the members enjoy the show and time together so they can keep touching hearts. That's the real magic of the activity.

Not stupid numbers.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Let the members enjoy the show and time together so they can keep touching hearts. That's the real magic of the activity.

Not stupid numbers.

This. THIS is what marching drum corps is supposed to be about. Forget placement. Make music and visual beauty and cherish your time together, the friends you've made and the memories along the way. At the end of the day, that's what you'll remember. Not placement.

• Like 2

Just wanted to pop on here and say that Spirit's show is one of my favorites of the year!! 🙂

Keep it up! 

I love that Spirit is back! And I love this show for being so many of the things Spirit was pushing design wise before the hiatus. 

This is the show Spirit needs to show itself and attract people who watch and say “yeah I wanna do THAT kind of show.”

Whatever happens on the sheets, today’s marchers are gonna be known as the ones who saved Spirit by the marchers of tomorrow