Top 12 Predictions 2023 (No off topic discussion, please!)

35 minutes ago, CAtenhut said:

4 years ago, BK and BS were 7th and 8th and 4-5 pts from medaling, so I wouldn't call that contending. But yes, BK has dropped off significantly since then, and BS is having a down year after coming in 7th last year. But other corps like Phantom, Mandarins, Troopers and Colts are all having stronger years, so someone is bound to drop down the rankings.

Yes, neither corps was ever on the verge of becoming medal contenders. One could argue the gap between a 3rd place corps and a 7-8 place corps is much larger than the gap between a 7-8 place corps and a 15th place corps. 

2015 Blue Knights showed such promise. It was a great show, with a great design and they found competitive success. I think Covid must have hit them really hard in terms of talent. With two non-competitive seasons in a row, one can surmise that they just couldn't pull in the same talent for the 2021 and 2022 seasons that they were pulling in before COVID.

With the Blue Stars, I don't understand what their problem is. They no doubt have great talent, and I think there's much to admire in this show design. It's one of my favorites of the season, especially the last few minutes. They just don't seem to be improving at the pace of others around them.

Edited by Vuitton

6 minutes ago, Vuitton said:

Yes, neither corps was ever on the verge of becoming medal contenders. One could argue the gap between a 3rd place corps and a 7-8 place corps is much larger than the gap between a 7-8 place corps and a 15th place corps. 

2015 Blue Knights showed such promise. It was a great show, with a great design and they found competitive success. I think Covid must have hit them really hard in terms of talent. With two non-competitive seasons in a row, one can surmise that they just couldn't pull in the same talent for the 2021 and 2022 seasons that they were pulling in before COVID.

With the Blue Stars, I don't understand what their problem is. They no doubt have great talent, and I think there's much to admire in this show design. It's one of my favorites of the season, especially the last few minutes. They just don't seem to be improving at the pace of others around them.

For BK, the last couple years are about show design... Last year was awful, and this year, while an improvement, isn't that great either.

For Blue Stars, they are only 2.4 pts off last year from Allentown, so they're not THAT down from last year. I don't love the first part of the show (musically, it goes nowhere), but the ballad on is great. I agree... I think they are just having a hard time cleaning the show, and I'm not sure why. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

I just thought both of those corps were ready to go to the next level. 

Yes, I did too. Especially for BK after 2015 and Blue Stars after last year. It's just really really really (add in 500 more reallys here) hard to move from 6-8 to top 5 then top 3. The top 4 corps this year are all so amazingly good. It just takes a herculan effort, and YEARS, to reach this level. Boston is really an annomoly. Since 2016 they had a pretty rapid rise, but that is very rare, and many many pieces fell into place to make that happen.

2 hours ago, Maleguena1988 said:

Here’s a dark horse bet: Bluecoats take the Ott. 

Dude their show may have the listening responsibilities demand, but certainly not the sheer content demand that other horn lines have. And honestly the trombone thing after the ballad sounds bad - not using good tone or air. Crown BD and Boston all have more demand 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Vuitton said:

Yes, I did too. Especially for BK after 2015 and Blue Stars after last year. It's just really really really (add in 500 more reallys here) hard to move from 6-8 to top 5 then top 3. The top 4 corps this year are all so amazingly good. It just takes a herculan effort, and YEARS, to reach this level. Boston is really an annomoly. Since 2016 they had a pretty rapid rise, but that is very rare, and many many pieces fell into place to make that happen.

Boston did it by hiring away known teaching brand names, which made it possible to them to immediately pull in their best MMS from their previous corps. The other road is a lot harder, takes a lot longer. Bluecoats seem to have done it the old fashioned way. Blue Stars and Knights don’t seem to have found the right equation yet.

1 hour ago, WarriorWay said:

Dude their show may have the listening responsibilities demand, but certainly not the sheer content demand that other horn lines have. And honestly the trombone thing after the ballad sounds bad - not using good tone or air. Crown BD and Boston all have more demand 

I still think Bump goes on too long, it’s a bit of a one trick pony imo. They have worked really hard to expand the concept but it still seems a bit of a gimmick. And I am as big a Bloo fan on the planet.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 90svet said:

Are the top corps getting better, or the 7-12 corps losing steam?

Top four are getting better, imo.

7-12 seem to be staying at the same level. 

9 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Boston did it by hiring away known teaching brand names, which made it possible to them to immediately pull in their best MMS from their previous corps. The other road is a lot harder, takes a lot longer. Bluecoats seem to have done it the old fashioned way. Blue Stars and Knights don’t seem to have found the right equation yet.

Correct. Boston is an anomoly. 

Most corps don't figure out the right equation. That's why so few are champions.

2 hours ago, WarriorWay said:

Isn't it SUPPOSED to sound rough?  If they wanted a more mellow sound, they would have used other instrumentation.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, WarriorWay said:

Content demand has been judged pretty consistent across top 4 corps…as I said, a dark horse…like Bloo percussion last year, perhaps? 🙂

• Like 2