DCI Corps at the Crest - San Diego 2023

5 minutes ago, CAtenhut said:

It's sad to look back at scores from the mid to late 80s and see how many more World (formerly Open) and Open (formerly A/A60 and D2/3) competed at DCI. There used to be so many corps, we had 3 divisions, and the past year "World" finalists didn't even compete in Thursday's Prelims. 

Very true.   On any given Saturday in DCM there would be 2-4 shows with lineups similar to the pre-intermission San Diego show, with a couple DCI finalists or contenders added. 

39 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

It’s drum corps version of conspiracy theorists. 

But with proof with DCI and BOA.  Everyone knows slotting happens, some just choose to ignore it.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

It’s drum corps version of conspiracy theorists. 

...and sometimes there are actually conspiracies, so let's not try to stigmatized the term in an effort to dismiss the topic completely.

Just now, DFA1970 said:

I wish I had the time to look up all score sheets, but you choose to believe or not.  If the Band Directors even know it happens then it's not a co spiracy.  Or how about this.  Where Blue Devils really 6 points better than Mandarins last night?

3 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

...and sometimes there are actually conspiracies, so let's not try to stigmatized the term in an effort to dismiss the topic completely.

Oh really. Do tell us these conspiracies… I’m all ears, 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, spacewill said:

I love the Mandarins show and think it will compete well this year. However, IMO, the Blue Devils were more than 6 points better last night. 

• Like 2

Just now, DAYGO said:

I love the Mandarins show and think it will compete well this year. However, IMO, the Blue Devils were more than 6 points better last night. 

I appreciate that, I just don't considering seeing all the other shows and how they were scored.  While by end of year BD will prob be 6 points better, they also had timing and flow issues.  I would see it being closer to start and the gap opening as the more seasoned corp cleans up.  At this pace you're telling me BD will be 10 pts better by finals.  No way.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, DFA1970 said:

Oh really. Do tell us these conspiracies… I’m all ears, 

One was a conspiracy  theory about aspartame being unhealthy, yet  approved by the FDA during the  Reagen administration as being safe. Despite many conspiracy claims that it was unhealthy, People laughed at the conspiracy until now, where scientists and the WHO have concluded that aspartame is in fact dangerous. 

https://fortune.com/well/2023/06/29/aspartame-carcinogen-common-foods/

I'll just leave that one as an example, but there are a bunch more. This isn't the forum for that.

Conspiracy happens, so 🤷.  Try not to be totally dismissive or you could be on the short end of a laugh when everything is said and done.

Cheers

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

One was a conspiracy  theory about aspartame being unhealthy, yet  approved by the FDA during the  Reagen administration as being safe. Despite many conspiracy claims that it was unhealthy, People laughed at the conspiracy until now, where scientists and the WHO have concluded that aspartame is in fact dangerous. 

https://fortune.com/well/2023/06/29/aspartame-carcinogen-common-foods/

I'll just leave that one as an example, but there are a bunch more. This isn't the forum for that.

Conspiracy happens, so 🤷.  Try not to be totally dismissive or you could be on the short end of a laugh when everything is said and done.

Cheers

Working overnight and red meat are also possible carcinogens according to the WHO's IARC.

I don't drink diet drinks, and avoid artificial sweeteners where possible (they just don't taste good), but labeling something as a possible carcinogen doesn't mean it poses an actual risk under normal circumstances. Aspartame is one of the most studied substances in the food supply.  It's probably best to wait and see what the IARC's full evaluation actually shows.

Aspartame breaks down quickly in your gut into phenylalanine , aspartic acid and methanol. The first two are amino acids people consume all the time and is present in a lot of foods in larger quantities than you'd get from aspartame. Methanol is simple alcohol, something else people consume all the time from eating fruits and vegetables.  Of course none of that means it's 100% safe, biology is crazy, but unless you have phenylketonuria or you're consuming an ungodly amount of this stuff it's probably not something to worry about.

If you wanted to go full conspiracy, you could say the sugar industry is behind this new designation. 😆

• Haha 1