Summer Music Games in Cincinnati 2023-07-05

Bloo is getting real good at the movement game. But there’s a return to “Bloo style” early season foot dirt again. I have no doubt they’ll clean it up but it’s noticeable. 

Battery is not only doing a demanding book but it’s integrated into the music, not as well as Crowns, but in that vein. They’re also doing some great stick tricks as they play. Musically the front end of this feels a bit disjointed still.  From the ballad on though, this show is a musical ride.

flo’s camera exposure for this blows. The uniforms look washed out and almost disappear the corps. I wanna see this with proper camera settings.  Sigh. I have a send me it looks way better than it does here. 

Having re-seen all the bigs again, the judges got the ordinals right. But it’s an “any given night” and will ebb and flow as new things are added then cleaned for each corps. 

16 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

Bloo is getting real good at the movement game. But there’s a return to “Bloo style” early season foot dirt again. I have no doubt they’ll clean it up but it’s noticeable. 

Battery is not only doing a demanding book but it’s integrated into the music, not as well as Crowns, but in that vein. They’re also doing some great stick tricks as they play. Musically the front end of this feels a bit disjointed still.  From the ballad on though, this show is a musical ride.

flo’s camera exposure for this blows. The uniforms look washed out and almost disappear the corps. I wanna see this with proper camera settings.  Sigh. I have a send me it looks way better than it does here. 

Having re-seen all the bigs again, the judges got the ordinals right. But it’s an “any given night” and will ebb and flow as new things are added then cleaned for each corps. 

The multi cam exposure seemed better, but you're right, the high cam settings were terrible. 

I was watching on multi!  🤣

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

I was watching on multi!  🤣

It doesn’t help that the sun was setting behind all the corps, and Flo’s crew hasn’t yet seemed to figure out the right exposure for backlight like that AND how to update it throughout the night as the lighting changes. 

48 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

I do love Boston’s open set and prop placement. It’s a full field presence created without the props as they start. The compression block with flags up front puts us on the high seas. 

Musically the opener seemed seemed a bit off. There is fuzz in the battery   But after the opener, things tighten up. It feels like they learnt the opener last?  The guard is unreal. They have committed entirely to mastery of weapons and are just doing wildly demanding things. The woman who juggle tosses two rifles to throw one in a spin OVER the soloists to a guy behind…  The sea shanties are a fun bop but it feels like they need a transition into them added yet.  

There’s a ton of little refinements that can go in to make this show even better and I’m wondering what they have in store. 

Friends of mine says Heather Graham has quite a few touches from her HS group sprinkled throughout this show like the juggling of rifles and the throw to another was done by Miamisburg in the 2022 WGI season. As good as a performer as Heather was, she's probably an even better instructor. Honestly, you can probably say that about almost any of the top corps staff members to be real. These top corps have such ridiculous staffs.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, brassboy said:

Oh they upped it to 18 this year? Because every show is still using 17 minute slots for each world corps. 

All corps must report to the DCI Coordinator one hour prior to the start of the competition for any modification on these times! These times supersede all other times and are the only official ones to be used!

Preset Step Off Time Ensemble Classification Exhibition Hometown State
  5:30 PM Gates Open        
  7:00 PM Welcome & National Anthem        
7:05 PM 7:10 PM Crusaders Senior All Age Corps   Boston MA
7:23 PM 7:28 PM 7th Regiment Open Class Corps   New London CT
7:41 PM 7:46 PM Spartans Open Class Corps   Nashua NH
7:59 PM 8:04 PM The Cadets World Class Corps   Erie PA
8:17 PM 8:22 PM Boston Crusaders World Class Corps   Boston MA
8:35 PM 8:40 PM U.S. Marine Drum & Bugle Corps Other   Washington DC
8:53 PM 8:58 PM Encore- Boston Crusaders World Class Corps   Boston MA
  9:05 PM Scores Announced        

4 hours ago, Algernon said:

All corps must report to the DCI Coordinator one hour prior to the start of the competition for any modification on these times! These times supersede all other times and are the only official ones to be used!

Preset Step Off Time Ensemble Classification Exhibition Hometown State
  5:30 PM Gates Open        
  7:00 PM Welcome & National Anthem        
7:05 PM 7:10 PM Crusaders Senior All Age Corps   Boston MA
7:23 PM 7:28 PM 7th Regiment Open Class Corps   New London CT
7:41 PM 7:46 PM Spartans Open Class Corps   Nashua NH
7:59 PM 8:04 PM The Cadets World Class Corps   Erie PA
8:17 PM 8:22 PM Boston Crusaders World Class Corps   Boston MA
8:35 PM 8:40 PM U.S. Marine Drum & Bugle Corps Other   Washington DC
8:53 PM 8:58 PM Encore- Boston Crusaders World Class Corps   Boston MA
  9:05 PM Scores Announced        

Interesting. Look at every other show and it’s 17 minutes. I think this early east coast show was an exception, maybe since it was a short lineup. 

2 hours ago, brassboy said:

Interesting. Look at every other show and it’s 17 minutes. I think this early east coast show was an exception, maybe since it was a short lineup. 

Many factors at the Quincy show required several adjustments on the fly.  But 17 minutes between corps was the target time for all groups.

• Like 1