History will be made!

8 hours ago, Boss Anova said:

Boston's spread was 2.5 points with Bloo in the opening show last season ( 1 tenth spread last night in Ohio ).  1.2 points spread in GE last season opener btw Bloo and Boston, but just 2 tenths last night  in combined GE.  Boston won the Visual Analysis caption last night over both Bloo and Crown. Boston topped Bloo in Brass and Music Analysis. All 3 Corps are in the beginning stages of refining shows, adding to their shows, and cleaning what they currently have out there. Similar to last year ( and most seasons ) the best read of where Corps are is in the first regional ( San Antonio ). If you are 3rd of 4th there, that is where " the worry " surfaces if you have hopes of topping BD and winning it all.

At the moment, all we can say with certainty is that all 3  potential contenders ( and challengers to defending champion BD ) last nite had strong performances with each of the 3 having their strengths in certain captions, and other captions needing improvement. 

I'd like to see all 4 corps take a different caption.

• Like 4

I do not think this will happen.  I think there will be one of two scenarios.  1.  BD just runs away and gets a massive score leaving everyone else behind (not likely, but we have seen it before).  Or 2.  Each corps takes various placements in all captions and as a result, scores at the top are tempered.  Time will tell.

18 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

I think at finals next month, we will see four corps crack the 97+ scoring barrier for the first time in DCI History with (in no particular order) BD/Bloo/BAC/Crown. 

We came close to this feat in 2008 and 2013. 

What a great season this is shaping up to be. 

I don't follow the activity anywhere near as much as I used to, but I still am impressed at how the overall quality level of the DCI product just seems to get better and better, year in and year out.

We can have our discussions/disagreements about whether we like this or that... electronics, choice of show themes and costumes, visual vs. music, entertaining/not entertaining, etc., but man, the top 17 corps, and beyond, are so strong on the field. (Off the field, a topic for another day. LOL)

Today's 17th-place corps was a solid finalist not too many years ago, and so forth. And breaking into the top 5 or 6... that is rarified air.

• Like 7

I do not think it will happen.  Boston will level out around Atlanta if not before.  Not enough effect to score a 97 IMO. GREAT guard!!! Visual could improve once it is achieved, but the effect just isn't as good as last year.  The brass line can't get there with a Mello line that can't play in tune on these new horns.  Bluecoats have the effect and caption strength to get there.  Crown plays all ranges of dynamics beautifully and the guard expresses it very well.  BD is a lock for the Gold!  That is the best hornline BD has had ever!!  The guard is great, show design is great, and drums will be top 3.   This is an exciting year for sure.  Just my 2 cents. 

Additionally,  I am excited to see Phantom rise again.  They are sounding great!!  DCI is best when they are doing great!! And the Mandarins have the show design, the support, the caption strength, and the vibes to push into the top 6 or 7.  That is another historical aspect of this as well!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, OnMyMind said:

I do not think it will happen.  Boston will level out around Atlanta if not before.  Not enough effect to score a 97 IMO. GREAT guard!!! Visual could improve once it is achieved, but the effect just isn't as good as last year.  The brass line can't get there with a Mello line that can't play in tune on these new horns.  Bluecoats have the effect and caption strength to get there.  Crown plays all ranges of dynamics beautifully and the guard expresses it very well.  BD is a lock for the Gold!  That is the best hornline BD has had ever!!  The guard is great, show design is great, and drums will be top 3.   This is an exciting year for sure.  Just my 2 cents. 

Additionally,  I am excited to see Phantom rise again.  They are sounding great!!  DCI is best when they are doing great!! And the Mandarins have the show design, the support, the caption strength, and the vibes to push into the top 6 or 7.  That is another historical aspect of this as well!

Lord knows I love my Devils, but best BD hornline ever? Too early for that. I saw BD live this past weekend, and while the brass is killer, they have a ways to go before they hit the likes of BDs 1991, 1993, and 2004 lines which are among DCIs best brass lines. I would even throw BDs 2014 brass in there too. 

Now the drums........they are special!!! Again it's early, but they could end up being one of the best drumlines BD has had this century. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, ThePlanets said:

Lol Chief. I really thought this post was going to be a BD 3peat prediction.

If BD does end up winning, we will have plenty of time to discuss the the threepeat, and laugh hysterically at the people who will do everything in their power to discredit and argue it isn't a threepeat. 

But for now, I am already enjoying this season. 1-4 are championship shows.............5-9 is murderers row............and the race for the 12th spot could be one of the best battles we have seen for the final spot. 

Just a phenomenal year by everyone!

• Like 3

Not sure but I think Crown’s 96.563 in 2019 may be the highest 4th place finish? Typically, 4th is 94-95ish. Having 4 top shows 97+ is going to be quite a challenge, but possible. Shows are good, but I wouldn’t place them with some amazing productions 2013-2019.. 

Edited by drumcorpsfever

23 minutes ago, drumcorpsfever said:

Not sure but I think Crown’s 96.563 in 2019 may be the highest 4th place finish? Typically, 4th is 94-95ish. Having 4 top shows 97+ is going to be quite a challenge, but possible. Shows are good, but I wouldn’t place them with some amazing productions 2013-2019.. 

SCV in 2013 with 96.85, followed by Crown in 2008 with 96.80.

We have gotten close to seeing it, but you make good points as well. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, ThePlanets said:

I'd like to see all 4 corps take a different caption.

I think that will probably happen. I could see Boston taking Guard, Carolina taking Brass, Bluecoats taking percussion, and BD taking visual. GE will be a toss-up and just depends on how these shows evolve. The thing is each of these 4 corps are pretty strong at everything. 

• Like 1