Corn on DeKalb

Huskie Stadium at Northern Illinois University1245 Stadium Drive SouthDeKalb, IL 60115
Lineup & Times
All times CT and subject to change

5:30 PM
Gates Open
7:00 PM
Welcome & National Anthem
7:17 PM
Genesis - Austin, TX
7:34 PM
Madison Scouts - Madison, WI
7:51 PM
Crossmen - San Antonio, TX
8:08 PM
Troopers - Casper, WY
8:25 PM
Colts - Dubuque, IA
8:42 PM
Intermission
9:12 PM
The Cavaliers - Rosemont, IL
9:29 PM
Blue Stars - La Crosse, WI
9:46 PM
Boston Crusaders - Boston, MA
10:03 PM
Phantom Regiment - Rockford, IL
10:20 PM
Encore - Phantom Regiment - Rockford, IL
10:28 PM
Scores Announced

Tonight you see Cavies and Blue Stars close gap on Phantom just because Phantom goes on after Boston.  Will be interesting to see where the top 4 and top 8 tiered groups spread land tonight.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Tonight you see Cavies and Blue Stars close gap on Phantom just because Phantom goes on after Boston.

I’m confused, why should that have an impact? Not saying it won’t happen (who knows with DCI judging?), but Phantom went on before Crown twice and still grew their point gap over BS/Cavies on both occasions.

4 minutes ago, college-phan said:

I’m confused, why should that have an impact? Not saying it won’t happen (who knows with DCI judging?), but Phantom went on before Crown twice and still grew their point gap over BS/Cavies on both occasions.

Being compared to the previous group is always harder if they are better.  Boston will obviously break 80 tonight and the judges will be comparing Phantom to Boston instead of Phantom to Cavies/Blue Stars.  They can still increase from previous show but it is WAY harder since the last thing they remember is sea shanties.  If Boston wasnt at this show who knows maybe phantom pushes up a couple points and nears 80.  Also, its a bigger show which in history sees smaller jumps since they are cramming more groups in less point ranges for rank and score.  

A good example I have is this year at PIO prelims for WGI, every group that was reclassed was almost 10 pointed if they had a better group(top10) play before them where the groups that had middle of the pack groups (10-20) were competitive score wise.

Edited by BlueStainGlass

3 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Being compared to the previous group is always harder if they are better.  Boston will obviously break 80 tonight and the judges will be comparing Phantom to Boston instead of Phantom to Cavies/Blue Stars.  They can still increase from previous show but it is WAY harder since the last thing they remember is sea shanties.  If Boston wasnt at this show who knows maybe phantom pushes up a couple points and nears 80.  Also, its a bigger show which in history sees smaller jumps since they are cramming more groups in less point ranges for rank and score.  

A good example I have is this year at PIO prelims for WGI, every group that was reclassed was almost 10 pointed if they had a better group(top10) play before them where the groups that had middle of the pack groups (10-20) were competitive score wise.

OHHH, I completely misread your post. That makes a lot more sense! Sorry!

Yeah, you’re probably right unless Phantom comes out and makes a statement against BAC (which I’m not predicting to be totally honest). Phantom’s best shot of making it interesting is in Brass and GE. But even if they’re in the BAC realm of scores there, they just aren’t to the visual and percussion level that BAC’s at, and I think that’s also where Cavies and BS have the best chance to capitalize.

First of all: great discussion thread title! 👍

I’m most interested to see the gap between PR and BAC tonight. Something tells me that PR can make some noise this year with their show. I saw them in Muncie and really enjoyed their show. They’ve got a certain swag in them this year that can catapult them in the standings. Can they make it a top FIVE this year?  We’ll see…

• Like 2

I disagree about spreads being influenced by performance order. I think judges are capable enough to properly rank the corps and apply the appropriate spread. I expect all the corps to show a nice jump in scores tonight. Blue Stars and Cavaliers might close the gap on Phantom, but if it happens I don't think it will have anything to do with Phantom going on after Boston. 

• Haha 1