The Battle for 12th!!!

3 minutes ago, drumcorpsfever said:

To me, the “battle for 12th” this year, and in more recent years, seems to be a bit watered down compared to the past.  With corps such as SCV, Glassmen, Blue Knights, Madison, The Academy, Crossmen, and Spirit of Atlanta either gone or rebuilding, it seems a bit “easier” to make the cut.

I’m happy for corps such as Troopers, Colts, Pacific Crest, and Music City. But I’m hoping for a few more corps competing for Indy on a Saturday night in the years to come. For some of the corps on the bubble, they have a golden opportunity to advance up the competitive ladder. 

So by your argument, you want corps to go back to the success they had decades ago - so Boston not making top 12 and Crown, Blue Stars and Mandarins back to Open Class.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, drumcorpsfever said:

To me, the “battle for 12th” this year, and in more recent years, seems to be a bit watered down compared to the past.  With corps such as SCV, Glassmen, Blue Knights, Madison, The Academy, Crossmen, and Spirit of Atlanta either gone or rebuilding, it seems a bit “easier” to make the cut.

I’m happy for corps such as Troopers, Colts, Pacific Crest, and Music City. But I’m hoping for a few more corps competing for Indy on a Saturday night in the years to come. For some of the corps on the bubble, they have a golden opportunity to advance up the competitive ladder. 

Ah, so you’re using the Potter asterisk. 

Regarding Crossmen and Spirit both making finals, we can’t rule out a tie for 12th in semis, especially this year when scores are so incredibly close in clusters. 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, CAtenhut said:

So by your argument, you want corps to go back to the success they had decades ago - so Boston not making top 12 and Crown, Blue Stars and Mandarins back to Open Class.

Not at all. I love what BAC and Mandarins have done. Crown? I’m not taking about Crown.  And, Blue Stars have been perennial finalists.

Simply stating, we can use more corps legitimately knocking on the finals door. That would be a good thing. 

• Confused 1

Regardless of how many times people try to put an * on who finishes in the 12th position,  I will gladly say they earned it and should be as proud as any finalist in any other year!

• Like 6

I always love following the battle for 12th! This year seems like it has the most groups that have a real possibility. Has it ever been a tie? I know it's been waaaaay close, but has a legit tie ever happened? Would they let both groups perform, or is there a tiebreaker? 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, spacewill said:

Regardless of how many times people try to put an * on who finishes in the 12th position,  I will gladly say they earned it and should be as proud as any finalist in any other year!

whoever earns 12th will have beaten SCV this year and thus earned that spot.  it isn't their fault SCV chose not to compete.  it's the same as if all of SCV's staff just up and quit and the corps limped into the season with a halfass show and were terrible and got beaten by those corps.  other corps circumstances do not lessen another corps accomplishments.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Cappybara said:

4 way tie for 12th would certainly make Retreat blocks interesting 

Retreat is going to look like a Tokyo subway during rush hour. 

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Chief Guns said:

Retreat is going to look like a Tokyo subway during rush hour. 

We'll both be there Chief.  We can both don the white gloves and help push them in!!!!

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, drumcorpsfever said:

Not at all. I love what BAC and Mandarins have done. Crown? I’m not taking about Crown.  And, Blue Stars have been perennial finalists.

Simply stating, we can use more corps legitimately knocking on the finals door. That would be a good thing. 

Sorry if I misunderstood your message, but you're actually wrong here. If you look back at any year, you will not find more corps within 3 points of that 12th spot than we have today - 6!! Many years there were only 2 or 3 corps fighting for that position. In 2011, Glassmen finished in 13th place at Semis 3.15 pts behind Spirit, so there was no competition for that final 12th spot. Yes, there were a lot more drum corps competing at DCI 10-15-20 years ago, but not competing for Finals.

• Like 4