Stanford & Son (DCI West, July 9, 2023)

1 minute ago, brassboy said:

LOL it’s Mountain Time, so if someone calls that west coast they’ve already shown a lack of credibility. 😝

Growing up in Los Angeles, anything east of Las Vegas was east coast to me LMAO. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, brassboy said:

LOL it’s Mountain Time, so if someone calls that west coast they’ve already shown a lack of credibility. 😝

I think anything past the Mississippi is west! It’s all perspective 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Dmlkmen said:

Big sound tonight from BK. Might have had some audio issues from the French Horn on the tower in the opener. But that large, open sound is back. And Bocook’s book is showing in the brass runs, 16th runs, and chord structures. 

BK had been practicing a few miles from my house at a local HS in Commerce City, CO since April. The front range in this area is flat, and sound travels as there are no trees, just homes and some structures. I could hear their drums and brass echos in my backyard this past Spring….from those 3 miles away. 

Looking forward to seeing this live and stomping my feet in the stands next Saturday in Fort Collins. 

You and I live really close together then. I’m 10 min from where they were rehearsing for part of spring training. 

5 hours ago, lawdn said:

I was a doubter until I saw it live. No more doubts. When this show is finished no one will doubt. As we left BD was going to their buses outside, and unis are spectacular up close. BTW on July 9, 2014 BD scored 87.35. I looked that up when I saw discussions about inflated scores for BD this year. I can’t blame anyone who hasn’t seen The Cutouts live.

July 8 in Ft. Wayne they had a 'shaky run' and popped 86.150 and one pointed Bluecoats who had the run that ignited Tilt on it's trajectory.

July 9 they popped the 87.35 beating Cadets (who were the #2 chasing them all season until the final night) by 1.05 points 

At that point it was clear they were going the whole way. That was as close as anyone got to them all year.

Edited by KVG_DC
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

July 8 in Ft. Wayne they had a 'shaky run' and popped 86.150 and one pointed Bluecoats who had the run that ignited Tilt on it's trajectory.

I remember that Ft Wayne show. Maybe the most anticipated showdown (Felliniesque vs Tilt) of the decade???

That ended up being BDs worst run of the year. I remember they seemed tired, lethargic, and just going thru the motions. 

Meanwhile, Tilt lit the whole place on fire. 

When BD won by a full point, I knew it was over for the 2014 season. If you can't beat Fellini on its worst night, game over. 

I remember posting that, and saying Bloo wouldn't get any closer the rest of the season. I caught hell from DCP and was public enemy #1. 

But as it turned out, I was right, and I was collecting major receipts on Finals night before this generation made that phrase popular lol. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

Oh yea the whole "West Coast Inflation" blah blah talk is alive and well in some other threads. It is definitely DCI season. 

To sell myself out.  I do feel for the first 2 or 3 shows of the year that BD will get an inflated score regardless of how they perform (I mean if they just bomb and it's obvious then they won't but let's be real that BD will never do that).  It will be after the 4th or so show if they aren't performing at an amazing level that they will start getting penalized.  I guess its the earned respect of never finishing outside the top 4 for 30 years so no one wants to be the first judge to say "hey, you may be 5th best this year!"  🙂  Don't think Mandarins or anyone else gets that type of respect yet.  I didn't feel they were 6 pts better than Mandarins on the first show.  I do feel based on seeing them at Rose bowl that 6 pts can now be justified (and that is with me thinking Mandarins are amazing).

Edited by spacewill
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Chief Guns said:

I remember that Ft Wayne show. Maybe the most anticipated showdown (Felliniesque vs Tilt) of the decade???

That ended up being BDs worst run of the year. I remember they seemed tired, lethargic, and just going thru the motions. 

Meanwhile, Tilt lit the whole place on fire. 

When BD won by a full point, I knew it was over for the 2014 season. If you can't beat Fellini on its worst night, game over. 

I remember posting that, and saying Bloo wouldn't get any closer the rest of the season. I caught hell from DCP and was public enemy #1. 

But as it turned out, I was right, and I was collecting major receipts on Finals night before this generation made that phrase popular lol. 

I was THERE in Ft. Wayne.  It was my first live drum corps show since the 2000 finals and long overdue...

Bloo was ON FIRE.  I mean the energy was unreal, almost out of control at times.  It was a ride that kept you on the edge.  They had the old opener still so 'the bend' was in yet but they had not one but multiple trust jumps going off the ramps at the end.  

That was the show where the trust jumper that originally stayed overshot the group catching a tad and they adjusted to break the fall but they hit the back of their head some.  I was slightly on side 2  and we were all cheering the crazy energy. But there were gasps from side 1 and some concern on the sideline.  The member got up fast though and waved to the crowd as they held their head a bit and walked off as staff were with them.  I suspect they reduced the number of jumpers after that in part because the risk became apparent.  

There was rain right before the show that left the field a bit wet and any props that were out in it wet.  So some of the folks going up the ramps were taking the 'alternate' route in front of them. I noticed one of the tenors didn't go up their ramp that night at least.  But it took nothing away from the show.  It was electric.  

Then BD comes on and the shaky of BD was in the opener. They had an actual tear.  Like...very small, something most corps would shrug at but it was like "wait...did that just happen to BD?"  I was sitting next to a BD volunteer traveling around with them through that leg and she was "wow. I dunno about tonight" at that point.   

The ballad was just unreal though.  Those pauses in La Strada left everyone holding their breath and releasing with them.  From that point, they had it locked down. 

• Like 2

Ok enough of yesteryear.  The rebroadcast has begun 

• Like 1