What happens first? (Boston and Mandarins)

14 minutes ago, MarimbaManiac said:

I pay plenty close attention thanks, and I've had a closer vantage point than most. Their packages are safe, from a demand perspective, and design style. They are definitely clean, but are consistently over-compensated for that, in my opinion.

Also they are never "vastly superior" than their competition. It's a game of inches and the top corps are always at comparable levels. We get it, you're a fan boy, but let's be realistic.

That is objectively false.

Too regularly, that's because they are doing easy things. 

I'm curious to know what your background is... honestly. Are you talking percussion, only pit or battery, brass, cg, visual, overall? What is your actual expertise so we understand as you speak on this matter. Because BD's entire design from brass, percussion (battery and pit), guard and visually are not easy at all. I can't speak specifically on percussion so maybe their book isn't as difficult as a couple other corps, but I know nothing about their show is "easy", as you mention. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, CAtenhut said:

I'm curious to know what your background is... honestly. Are you talking percussion, only pit or battery, brass, cg, visual, overall? What is your actual expertise so we understand as you speak on this matter. Because BD's entire design from brass, percussion (battery and pit), guard and visually are not easy at all. I can't speak specifically on percussion so maybe their book isn't as difficult as a couple other corps, but I know nothing about their show is "easy", as you mention. 

I have extensive experience marching, teaching, and designing for marching arts across activities, and a Doctorate in music composition and theory, emphasizing the role of technology in the musical arts (only because you asked, not saying I have any more authority than any other person, just that I'm very comfortable in the foundation of my argument).  

It's DCI, nothing is easy, but other corps have more individually difficult products, and most importantly more simultaneous demand. BD has a formula, and they use it religiously, but as another poster mentioned it can result in a lot of the same product. 

Edited by MarimbaManiac
  • Like 1

On 7/11/2023 at 1:14 PM, Triple Forte said:

I am curious to find out the specific reasons people are hyping the Mandarins in 2023?  Granted, to date I have only seen and heard Mandarins via the live streams which is not a great indicator but from that  perspective I don’t see or hear anything from them that makes me think Wow Mandarins have arrived and are ready to pass the likes of Cadets, Cavies, Phantom and Blue Stars (pls note 3 of those corps are multi time champions). 

I mean I have no Ill will towards team Sacramento more power to them but I don’t see it …..yet

In a sense, the answer is in your question. If all one knows is what they have seen on Flomarching streams or YouTube clips, it is impossible to fully judge what the Mandarins are bringing to the field. Living close to Sac, as I do, I’ve been a Mandarins fan for some time, and very much liked what I saw on Flo earlier this season, BUT when I saw them live Monday night I was blown away. On the field live this show is a powerhouse. Horns, percussion, guard all miles above how they come across in streams. And what is more, they know it!  The corps performs with a confidence and energy that has to be seen live to appreciate. They are the real deal; and it shouldn’t be a surprise when they finish in the top five this year. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Photographer Jim said:

In a sense, the answer is in your question. If all one knows is what they have seen on Flomarching streams or YouTube clips, it is impossible to fully judge what the Mandarins are bringing to the field. Living close to Sac, as I do, I’ve been a Mandarins fan for some time, and very much liked what I saw on Flo earlier this season, BUT when I saw them live Monday night I was blown away. On the field live this show is a powerhouse. Horns, percussion, guard all miles above how they come across in streams. And what is more, they know it!  The corps performs with a confidence and energy that has to be seen live to appreciate. They are the real deal; and it shouldn’t be a surprise when they finish in the top five this year. 

And there is the mic drop. 

Thanks everyone for coming, God Bless you and Goodnight. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MarimbaManiac said:

Just calling it like I see it. 

I'm not getting into a protracted argument with you, because honestly I don't really care. I don't need you to approve of my perspective, I have lots of hands on experience and pieces of paper to do that. However the fact that you think the BD staff is doing something "unique" in their approach to design process is funny.

I don't think a single person here argued with you about BD's show design being unique. We are arguing with you that it's not "easy", which is what you actually said. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

And there is the mic drop. 

Thanks everyone for coming, God Bless you and Goodnight. 

There's also the: "I haven't been to a live show yet where the entire live audience didn't jump out of their seats when the Mandarins were done playing" proof too!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Photographer Jim said:

Further, this year the Mandarins have a pretty balanced strength across all three sections, as opposed to the past where color guard/visual was a particular strength but brass and percussion were among the bottom tier in the Top 12. 

• Like 4

On 7/11/2023 at 12:19 PM, Chief Guns said:

so I am going to just silently nod my head up and down in agreeance and pretend I am smart like the rest of you, when in reality, I have no idea what you just said

He said don't cross the streams...

• Haha 2