Is it time for a name change?

Previous championships were held in Bangkok (pop 1.5M) and Rastede, Germany (pop 20K). Up next Buckhannon, WV (pop 5K). I assume the nearest decent airport is Pittsburgh and there are maybe 50 motel rooms at best.

If the organizers were aware of marching bands/drum corps in they US, they'd pick a city/town with a built-in following. Allentown, Columbus, Madison. Or Tulsa, any place in Texas, Charlotte, though it would be toasty.

• Like 1

They're gonna be hard pressed to find a sub 5K city to continue that trend for next time.

;)

I've always wondered this too. There's a video with over 1 million views on the DCI YouTube channel of a drumline from another country (Thailand, if I remember correctly) that looks fairly recent, and it looks like Lucas Oil Stadium too. Don't know if they were being judged, it was just a video of their performance.

1 hour ago, Phantom56 said:

WAMSB will feature 25 show bands from 16 countries. Tickets for prelims: $10. Finals: $20.

If I lived nearby , I'd go. 

My guess is "no" you wouldn't.  The last place DCI corps of any division would win this contest by 50 points.  Maybe more.

The bands are listed on the event web page and there are links to each band's performances.  I watched all the shows on-line so you wouldn't have to.  Click ANY link and if you would pay Happy Meal money to watch any of these international bands live and in person then I'll buy your ticket for you. 

Yeah, they are really that bad.  ALL of them. 

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

17 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

My guess is "no" you wouldn't.  The last place DCI corps of any division would win this contest by 50 points.  Maybe more.

The bands are listed on the event web page and there are links to each band's performances.  I watched all the shows on-line so you wouldn't have to.  Click ANY link and if you would pay Happy Meal money to watch any of these international bands live and in person then I'll buy your ticket for you. 

Yeah, they are really that bad.  ALL of them. 

Depends on what your definition of win is.  

1 hour ago, kdaddy said:

Up next Buckhannon, WV (pop 5K). I assume the nearest decent airport is Pittsburgh and there are maybe 50 motel rooms at best.

You are right on all counts, I've been there many times.  It's a beautiful place, especially with snow on the ground.

Edited by wvu80
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Depends on what your definition of win is.  

Um, for the international groups, winning would be having any two of the competing musicians play the same note AND in tune with each other.  Watch any of the groups on video, It's almost un-listenable.

Edited by wvu80
  • Haha 1