Is it time for a name change?

1 hour ago, oldbandguy said:

Yes, but there is a very famous girl from Buckhannon!   IYKYK

Oh I haven't thought of that in a long time.  

Time to colour my world with a re-listen.

Edited by KVG_DC
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, oldbandguy said:

Just saw a post on this...Bands from 13 (THIRTEEN) nations will gather in Buckhannon, West Virginia, July 17-23 for the 2023 WAMSB World Championships for Marching Show Bands.

How many nations will be represented at the Drum Corps INTERNATIONAL World Championships?

Just made me wonder...is it time for a name change?  Of course it's really been like that for a while.

nope

• Like 1

22 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

One can say the same of WGI...... percussion?

As far as I know, WGI does have contests outside the US on the percussion side. I'm not quite sure why I can't find them on their website, but I recall there being shows in Costa Rica, The Netherlands, and perhaps a few others as well.

There have been ensembles over the years from Japan, Thailand, Canada, and I believe a few other Asian countries on the percussion side, though I believe the guard side of the activity has had more representation in the past, like the UK and the Netherlands.

The International was used to account for the canadian corps at the time of DCI's creation.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2023 at 12:51 PM, MikeN said:

Nope.  It's still open to anyone in the world to participate.  

Mike

A question - how does a team from Japan get into the World Series?

57 minutes ago, oldsnare said:

A question - how does a team from Japan get into the World Series?

Practice, practice, practice...  (yeah, I know that's an old joke) 😎

+++

On another note:

I know I've been a big smart ^ss in this thread.  I can't believe I'm saying this but I just got an email and I've been invited to perform at this Buckhannon event and I think I'm going to go.

The WVU Alumni Marching Band was invited.  When we march for WVU Homecoming we put about 400 people on the field and the band sounds pretty good, at least until all the old people run out of gas and have to take a Geritol break.  For this event I doubt we'd get 60.

Like we say here in West Virginia, small world, but even smaller state.

Edited by wvu80

12 hours ago, Musicman1084 said:

As far as I know, WGI does have contests outside the US on the percussion side. I'm not quite sure why I can't find them on their website, but I recall there being shows in Costa Rica, The Netherlands, and perhaps a few others as well.

There have been ensembles over the years from Japan, Thailand, Canada, and I believe a few other Asian countries on the percussion side, though I believe the guard side of the activity has had more representation in the past, like the UK and the Netherlands.

I knew I wasn't clear...so sorry.. I meant in a broader sense. WGI as in Winter Guard International...Percussion?  Should the name be more general?

11 hours ago, bluecoats88 said:

The International was used to account for the canadian corps at the time of DCI's creation.

still one now...Les Stentors

• Like 2

11 hours ago, bluecoats88 said:

Yep. I remember '87 Dutch Boy was maybe 14th or 15th at prelims. I can't remember as I was busy lol. I think Canadian Knights were somewhere in there as well in semis. I remember maybe Connection Quebec or some such as well. There are probably more and I'm old lol.