Ankeny Scores

24 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

Not really. I think you'll find that most people really like their show this year. To me the Blue Devils have my favorite intro and favorite ballad this year. As a whole show I love it. As always their performance captions in brass, percussion, and guard are just outstanding. Visual will continue to clean and they ultimately may be difficult to beat -- as they usually are. 🙂

Oh I know brother. 

No doubt since 2014, BD has gotten alot of love from DCP. 

I just like to poke fun at the trolls and haters who regurgitate the same crap year after year about BD. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

If.....*IF* anyone is going to beat BD at finals, it's going to be another 2008 as far as closeness in scores and I'd guarantee it'll be the colorguard score that determines it. The top 4 are amazing. But as always BD is doing the thing.

I agree with you that it will take another 2008 for BD NOT to win this year. The are two reasons that I do not see another 2008 in the making:

1. Boston, Bluecoats and Crown don't have a show like Regiment 2008. A show that was undenably the best show of the season. A show that completely grabbed the entire crowd. A show that seemed destined to win.

2. Blue Devils won't be finishing 5th in Music this year. That is what killed them in 2008. They won't be finishing 3rd or 4th in Music either. They'll be 1st and 2nd in almost all captions, if not all.

To beat Blue Devils you have to have a show like Crown 2013, Bluecoats 2016 or Vanguard 2018. A show that can go toe-to-toe with BD in terms of design, and have that execution to back up the design. I don't see anyone having that this year.

Edited by Vuitton
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Vuitton said:

I agree with you that it will take another 2008 for BD NOT to win this year. The are two reasons that I do not see another 2008 in the making:

1. Boston, Bluecoats and Crown don't have a show like Regiment 2008. A show that was undenably the best show of the season. A show that completely grabbed the entire crowd.

2. Blue Devils won't be finishing 5th in Music this year. That is what killed them in 2008. They won't be finishing 3rd or 4th in Music either. They'll be 1st and 2nd in almost all captions, if not all.

To beat Blue Devils you have to have a show like Crown 2013, Bluecoats 2016 or Vanguard 2018. A show that can go toe-to-toe with BD in terms of design, and have that execution to back up the design. I don't see anyone having that this year.

BDs percussion finishing 5th at Finals in 2008 is what did them in. 

Unless BDs battery this year has a disaster of biblical proportions at finals (Cadets snare line 2009) I don't think they will be 5th in 2023 allowing someone to sneak in the backdoor like 2008. 

It's still too early, but we might be looking at one of the best, IF NOT THE BEST BD drum line this century. They are certainly starting to put themselves in the conversation with 2009 and 2015. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Vuitton said:

1. Boston, Bluecoats and Crown don't have a show like Regiment 2008. A show that was undenably the best show of the season. A show that completely grabbed the entire crowd. A show that seemed destined to win.

I definitely agree with you on your points. 

I will say, the only show I foresee potentially being able to go toe-to-toe with them on design is Carolina Crown. And I'm not all that into their show yet this year. I know I need to see it live. Now I say this because it's different. It's extremely theatrical and they play like an orchestra (ie. their ballad. WOW.) Which is very different for drum corps right now. And you could see GE judges rewarding that nuanced difference this year. Time will tell. But that is the only possibility I see at least getting close to beating BD this year. 

37 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

I definitely agree with you on your points. 

I will say, the only show I foresee potentially being able to go toe-to-toe with them on design is Carolina Crown. And I'm not all that into their show yet this year. I know I need to see it live. Now I say this because it's different. It's extremely theatrical and they play like an orchestra (ie. their ballad. WOW.) Which is very different for drum corps right now. And you could see GE judges rewarding that nuanced difference this year. Time will tell. But that is the only possibility I see at least getting close to beating BD this year. 

It's so interesting how we all see things differently. I love Crown, Bluecoats, Regiment and Cadets best this year. But, I see Bluecoats as the only show design I can possibly see challenging BD, although I don't think they'll get there on execution and guard and brass will hold them back.

I see Crown 3rd or 4th at finals.

Will be interesting, for sure.

Edited by Vuitton
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

Oh I know brother. 

No doubt since 2014, BD has gotten alot of love from DCP. 

I just like to poke fun at the trolls and haters who regurgitate the same crap year after year about BD. 

I agree that 2014 was when we saw the anti-Blue Devils talk begin to decrease. It could be obnoxious. G7 didn’t help matters and some shows were not always audience friendly. I think there were two big things that happened. One is Crown winning in 2013, especially where there was so much suspense with BD winning prelims and Crown winning semi’s and then finals. So many thought 2009 “Grass is Always Greener” should have won, and 2012 as well (I was in that camp, at least they should have won semi’s). The second is that 2014’s show is one of the all time overall favorite shows. However, the one thing that is always true. In Allentown when you go to Yocco’s (not me anymore. A little too greasy) or stop at the convenience store on your way to the car, or the airport on Sunday in Indy, you get to talk to marching members and win or lose, the kids are very similar.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vuitton said:

Sure, Jan 🙂 (I just love this line, ok, I am not being mean)

Joking aside, yeah, i suppose so. We'll see. Tremendeous talent in the top 4. I'd love if someone other than BD won. I'd love BD in 4th. But, I think BD is going to go undefeated again.

who was the last corps to go undefeated ??

1 hour ago, Vuitton said:

Sure, Jan 🙂 (I just love this line, ok, I am not being mean)

Joking aside, yeah, i suppose so. We'll see. Tremendeous talent in the top 4. I'd love if someone other than BD won. I'd love BD in 4th. But, I think BD is going to go undefeated again.

I do like BD's show this year ( well at least the first half anyway ), and I'm sure the top Corps will make changes and adjustments between now and Championships, so we'll see how it plays out. BD always starts out a season the favorite, and its up to the others to see if they can make it interesting.

• Like 1

Just now, Boss Anova said:

BD always starts out a season the favorite, and its up to the others to see if they can make it interesting.

Yes. If I was running Crown, BAC or Bluecoats, I'd be heading out west to see BD first thing. Once you see BD you know where you stand. Why wait?

• Like 1